Pre-op plan, 2 weeks off Post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op plan, 2 weeks off Post op Pre-op plan, 2 weeks off Post op

Unread 02-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Pre-op plan, 2 weeks off Post op

I am 2 wks pre-op. My plan is to take 2 weeks off after my surgery. Since I teach, that puts me back in the classroom 16 days after surgery. I do teach PE, but I can do it low key w/o having to move around alot or carry heavy things. I can plan around that. My surgery is lap. taking everything including cervix. Is my plan out of the ball park? I know that if I need more time, I will take it. That is just the way of the body trying to heal. But, is my plan goofy and unrealistic for the norm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Re: Pre-op plan, 2 weeks off Post op

I think you'll get a whole range of answers to this, because recovery times vary so much. I thought I could work at 2 wks, but I tired easily, so I was glad to have 5 wks off. If you go back and it's too much, can you get more time off, or are you committed once you return? 2 weeks might be pushing it, but some ladies do OK with it. 4 or 6 wks would be more of a sure thing, and as long as you have an option to extend your time out if needed, I'd keep that option open. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Unread 02-04-2012, 12:41 PM

I think 2 weeks is too soon. The lap surgery may make your initial recovery faster, but it's still major surgery and you'll have the same amount of healing to do inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 12:54 PM

I think you'll find 4 weeks is a better plan than 2 weeks.
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:28 PM

I agree with all these ladies. My plan was 2 weeks also but I couldnt do it. I still tired easily and was sore if I was moving around too much (I have a desk job). I went back after 3 weeks and it was still difficult. By mid day I was tired, sore and just wanted to lay down. I was lucky my supervisor allowed me to shut my door put my feet up and do nothing for about an hour a day. Considering you will be walking and or standing all day you may want to consider extending your leave.

Good luck
Tracy
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:36 PM

I am having a robotic-assist lap surgery and my doctor won't even let me drive for two weeks. I am afraid of getting post-op adhesions so I plan to follow my body cues and doc's advice very closely. I have left my "time off" very open-ended because I do not know what to expect. I have had the experience of pushing myself (doing something fun even) during a past recovery and ending up on bed rest and prolonging my recovery.

Have you discussed recovery expectations with your doctor? Two weeks seems like you are pushing it. However, you said that you'd be able to take more time if needed.

How did you come up with the plan to take off two weeks? What factors are important to you in regards to your recovery? As long as you listen to your body and your doctor - and are willing to change plans accordingly - it seems like whatever plans make you feel most comfortable would be fine.

But if you tend to push yourself a lot and go-go-go I think it might be wise to plan to take extra time off. Either way, really focus on your healing. You only get once shot at it, so make the most of it.

My mom had a vaginal hyster and she felt great but was not allowed to go back to work for a month (office job). She said it felt like she was on vacation, but I think it probably helped her because the added stress of being "on" and accountable at work can really add to fatigue. And she is the type of person who pushes herself to the limits all the time. She has been extremely happy with her hyster results. (In contrast, she pushed herself too hard after a back surgery and has not been happy with those results.)

I wish you good luck for your upcoming hyster and a speedy, full recovery.
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:37 PM

My plan was two weeks (I had an LSH but kept my cervix and ovaries) -- my GYN said a minimum of one. Because I was working part-time at the time, and don't work a 'typical' Mon-Fri job, it ended up being 3 weeks to the day and I had no problems at all going back to work. (I'm a nurse, so on the go all the time and not much chance to sit and rest!)

It really is up to you, your recovery, your attitude, and your health. I got scared after reading this site pre-op with so many people telling me that two weeks was way too soon. I would say to trust what you doctor says -- their advice isn't based on what they think you should be doing, it's based on how their previous patients have handled the surgery. Hope this helps!! Thinking of you!!
Unread 02-04-2012, 06:21 PM

At almost three weeks post op, I feel fine as long as I take things easy and don't spend a lot of time on me feet at any one time. I can tackle light housework and such as long as I listen to my body and stop to rest when I need to. I get tired very, very easily, and this is normal.

I feel two weeks would be too soon, but I guess it will depend on how your recovery goes, and if your doctor is willing to release you to go back to work that soon. I was just released to drive at 2 weeks. I can see where being a PE teacher gives you the flexibility to rest for most of the class period once you get the students started on what they are to be doing. What age group are you teaching?
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:34 AM

Thank you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register