Time off work?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time off work?? Time off work??

Unread 02-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Time off work??

A little background:

I am having my uterus and cervix removed via davinci later this month. I also have a tumor on my ovary which they believe to be a borderline tumor. I lost one of my ovaries a few years ago to a borderline tumor so I only have the one. My GYN sent me to an Oncologist who specializes in ovarian cancer. She is going to try to just remove the tumor and leave the ovary and will take the uterus because of cramps and heavy bleeding. However, if the tumor is too large she will have to take the entire thing.

I asked her how long off work and she said "a couple weeks". Now I am starting to freak out because I am reading on here where people had 6 weeks, 8 weeks, etc as a norm. My doctor is only giving me a few weeks??? Should I be freaking out? I can get short term disability at work but once the doctor clears me for work they no longer pay and I have to use vacation.

Did anyone here have to fight their doctor for more time off?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Re: Time off work??

you may have to wait till your first check up to request more time off, or you may ask for a definite answer now. ask them what the worst case would be and ask for that amount, explain your fears is any , as each person heals differently and there is no way of knowing how much work they will need to do so you may have to wait till after the surgery,

good luck with it hopefully the tumor is benign
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Re: Time off work??

Women who have a TAH are more apt to need the 6 - 8 weeks off than a woman whose doctor choosed the DaVinci method. It's probably better to ask for more time off from work, and then go back earlier if you are able. Your doctor is probably giving you the average time off for her patients, but if you need more time she'll more than likely give to you without a fight. Hope all works out well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register