Book: YOU DON'T NEED A HYSTERECTOMY | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Book:  YOU DON'T NEED A HYSTERECTOMY Book: YOU DON'T NEED A HYSTERECTOMY

Unread 02-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Book: YOU DON'T NEED A HYSTERECTOMY

Hi there, have any of you seen this book: YOU DON'T NEED A HYSTERECTOMY, by Ivan Straus? I tried to link to it on amazon, but I can't.
I saw it in the bookstore today but was afraid to get it because I'm already so confused I feel like my head will explode. Any opinions on it, anybody read it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Re: Book: YOU DON'T NEED A HYSTERECTOMY

Never heard of it but one thing I'm sure of, if your doc recommends a hyst, It's generally for the best, it is all very overwhelming, but if it helps you to digest info better ask lots of questions, vent your concerns both here and to your doc, good luck hun xx
Unread 02-05-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie1111 View Post
Hi there, have any of you seen this book: YOU DON'T NEED A HYSTERECTOMY, by Ivan Straus? I tried to link to it on amazon, but I can't.
I saw it in the bookstore today but was afraid to get it because I'm already so confused I feel like my head will explode. Any opinions on it, anybody read it??
I did see it. I was looking at information that could explain how I got fibroids and if there was a better way, non-surgical way...any way around this surgery. That book is a compilation of complaints and errors made in diagnosis. it urges women to get a second opinion so they wont have a hysterectomy when it isn't necessary when harmone, pills and other natural remedies and treatments may have worked just as well - treatments that were reversible and/or temporary...not permanent like a hysterectomy.....in the end, it tells you not to discount the doctor's diagnosis and make the very best choice for you.

for me, i wanted a 'permanent end' to my symptoms and im happy the fibroids and heavy bleeding are gone and i trusted my doctor, looked at the research and i have a fresh new start.
good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 10:08 AM

This book is ten years old, I'm really surprised the potential side effects of a hyst. are not talked about more since they've been known. The risks for heart disease, high cholesterol, bone loss...these things should be discussed up front. That they weren't has me more worried that I might be missing other stuff too. My doctor told me to research, which is great, but my research has been confusing and it's adding to my stress about this.

I don't want to really fool around with all the alternative stuff if I'm going to end up at a hysterectomy anyway, I'd rather just get it over with. Six years of suffering with endo, pain, abnormal bleeding...I want it to be over! But I have not tried anything else. I hate to jump right to the "drastic" choice if there is something else that might work.

There were some great diagrams in that book that showed what endometriosis looks like, fibroids, etc. Made me want them out even more.
Unread 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM

I waited for 6 years using something to avoid hysterectomy (Mirena) and ended up with a whole heap of other issues.

I wish I had of done this 6 years ago. I know these books often mean well ( or just want our money) but I don't think it is fair to put fear into the minds of women who are often already anxious about the up coming surgery.

Gosh, if I had of listened to everything that could have gone wrong I would never have done it. I think a 2nd opinion is great idea if you are not sure, but I question the intention of books like this.... everyone is different I guess.
Unread 02-05-2012, 10:24 PM

This book is ten years old, I'm really surprised the potential side effects of a hyst. are not talked about more since they've been known. The risks for heart disease, high cholesterol, bone loss...these things should be discussed up front.

These side affects are possible when your ovaries are removed. If your ovaries are healthy you don't need to remove them. If you have the option of keeping your ovaries I highly recommend participating in the study pinned to the top of this board. There is lots of good info regarding the pros and cons of removing them.

There are risks to having a hyst. You should ask questions of your dr. There are various options but they aren't for everyone. For example, I can't take hormones so trying to control massive bleeding with hormones is out. Fibroid removal was out because I had some that were so deeply embedded they couldn't be removed. Ablation wouldn't work because the fibroids couldn't be removed and were too big to ablate over. Again because of hormones, not to mention I have had problems with iud's Mirena wasn't an option.

The questions you should ask your dr are what other options do I have and why can't you do ??? whatever it is you think you would like to try. A dr. should be able to tell you why they are not wanting to try something less invasive.

In my case, I'm very glad I had a hyst, when they got in there they discovered a couple other major problems that were causing me a lot of pain. Ablation, mirena and hormones would not have fixed these things.
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Hi Whirlygig, Yes--that study is great, I am participating and I'd also recommend it.

I do intend to keep one ovary, however--in many cases there is a failure of that ovary (or remaining ovaries) and that can lead to those risks I was talking about. Worse, unless a woman gets hot flashes, her and her dr. are unaware of the problem and can't do things to troubleshoot. I'd much rather know about these ahead of time and I'm wondering what else is in that book that I need to know about, I might get it just to avoid the feeling I'm missing something important. If my dr. had discussed this with me, I would have felt like she is on top of all this and is aware of what can happen and knows how to handle it. Maybe she is aware but just doesn't want to go into all that?

I have a list of q's for my dr. at pre op but I'm really wondering if I will have time to get them answered, I feel super rushed in there. I may have to reschedule until I can get this clear in my head....but I hate to prolong this. I wish I could have gone straight to the hospital the day she advised the hyst, with no time to think about all this. I'm feeling da**ed if I do, da**ed if I don't.

Last night I went to wiki to see if they had a picture (diagram-drawing) of what endo looks like and they had some graphic photos of a hysterectomy that totally freaked me out. This research stuff may not be a great idea for me...!

Thanks for the input!
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:28 AM

I have never been able to watch videos of the surgery. I do fine with diagrams but don't really like pictures or anything. I'm not normally very squeamish either.

If you haven't gotten it yet, get the free book from this site. It has some great info and potential questions for you to ask. Also, in the forums and articles on this site are some helpful Qs too.

Insist on your right to understand. I have found that some drs. may seem like they aren't willing to explain but if you ask they will. The surgeon I had was like that, she assumed I already had decided that was what I was doing and rolled on ahead. But she did answer every question I had and always took the time to do that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register