Terrified about using narcotics | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Terrified about using narcotics Terrified about using narcotics

Unread 02-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Terrified about using narcotics

I have had this discussion with my OBGYN Onc. I had a cone biopsy on 1/24 and will have a Hyster. inapprox. 6 weeks (still uncertain what type). I am terrified about having to take narcotics. My ex-husband was a drug addict and 20 years later my son also became one. As a result of the damaging effects of narcotics, and seeing how so many lives have been destroyed by them, I did not wish to take any narcotics, however my Dr. informed me that they were necessary for healing. For my cone biopsy I opted for Tylenol/Codine. I do not know what I will be given after my surgery, but I was told it was a form of Vicodin. I am trying to research non-narcotic options (if there are any). I am still terrified, I have never used narcotics before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Re: Terrified about using narcotics

If you have concerns regarding narcotics, talk to your doctor prior to surgery. There are multiple options depending on you, your doctor, and your medical facility.

s
Unread 02-05-2012, 04:26 AM

Dear Apilo:

Your concerns about using narcotics is valid - it is very easy to get addicted very quickly. However, they ARE necessary, at least in the initial 24-hour period post op - they do more than just take the pain away...they keep your body and your mind lucid and still so that healing can begin.

I am a recovering alcoholic (19 years sober) and while I don't balk at using pain meds, I keep in close contact with my sponsor and other alkies when I am in a situation where it's necessary to take them. If you find that you need them beyond 48 hours post-op and if you're concerned about whether you will use them as prescribed, might I suggest you have a friend who you trust and who you can call to help keep yourself in check. Heck - we'll be narc buddies, because I will be on them too as of tuesday for at least a week!

You may not be pre-disposed to addiction - I believe that addiction is 2-fold - genetic and environmental - your son could have picked up the behavior AND the genetic predisposition from his father. This doesn't mean you shouldn't be absolutely wary, but neither should you be a martyr to your pain, either. Explain your concerns to your Dr. - I think tramadol is a non-narcotic, nothing like the opioids.

Hang in there.

HUGS!!!
Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 04:59 AM

I couldn't have said it better than Pam. I too am a recovering alcoholic. 2 years sober. I used narcotics for only 48 hours and then was fine on OTC pain relief. I had no problem stopping and did not feel the need for them after this time.

It is good that you are aware and because of this I think you will be fine,but you should also discuss with your doctor.

Take care
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:34 AM

Apilo2, please don't worry too much about it. Like you, I do not like to use anything that would alter my state of mind. BUT, believe me, it was needed. I had surgery on 2-2-12. I a meds at home that I have taken as needed. I think I'll take them for the last time today if needed. You will be fine. That was my concern too about getting hooked on them but I was told I would be fine. Good luck...
Unread 02-05-2012, 09:39 AM

Thank you all for responding so quickly. Part of my fears are about the possibility of addiction, but the other part I think is just mental because of the hardships I endured and still am enduring because of addictions. The more I read, I am beginning to realize that I may have to put some of those fears aside. I really appreciate and admire your honest point of views. My road is uncertain and very scary (see my cancer forum post: FRUSTRATED WITH CONE BIOPSY, PLEASE HELP, for details). I am very grateful for the support I have found here. I have turned to GOD for guidance and he has brought me to you. I hope that whatever stage you are at and what ever circumstances brought you here that your recoveries continue to go well and when they don't go as planned, also know that you are not alone. I send you prayers and love.
Unread 02-05-2012, 09:52 AM

I'm glad you are getting help here. I was told to take my non narc pain meds on schedule and that would allow me to minimize narcs----ask about doing that. (I took Aleve, similar to ibuprofen). There are ways to minimize narcs but taking them for a short time, when needed, can be really helpful. You need to be able to move around enough to help avoid blood clots so pain control is important. You can also be prepared with heat or cold, pillows, and not overdoing. We will help you through this.
Unread 02-05-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks again to all who responded. the information you have provided is of great value to me. I send you prayers and love.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register