Diagnosis - Uterine Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Diagnosis - Uterine Cancer Diagnosis - Uterine Cancer

Unread 01-02-2002, 02:37 PM
Diagnosis - Uterine Cancer

I had hyster on Thursday, December 27 with the diagnosis of complex hyperplasia with mild atypical cells. The gyn-oncologists who performed hyster told me I do not fit the profile for a patient with uterine cancer. Nevertheless, the pathology report following operation shows Grade 1 cancer.

Help. What does this mean? Anyone with a similar situation?
The doc wants to put me on estrogen replacement and monitor me every 3 months for 2 years. There is a chance that not all of the cancer was caught with hyster.

Please help me. Let me hear your stories - good and bad.

I was just starting to feel that I was on the mend following Thursday's operation---now I am thoroughly bewildered, lost and confused.

Please, I need your support and love now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2002, 02:59 PM
I'm sorry , I am useless as far as advice

on that subject goes but I just wanted to offer you a hug and tell you surely you'll find others here who have been there and done that.
Unread 01-02-2002, 03:12 PM
Hi JacquiS

I am sorry to read that you are really stressing. You should post your question on the Cancer Concerns forum. The ladies who post there may have had your same diagnosis.

I don't know anything about uterine cancer. I do know about my type of ovarian cancer. No matter what the type, anyone having the "big C" thrown at them will understand your concerns.

Good Luck to you and I hope you find the support you're looking for. RobinS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2002, 03:40 PM

Jacqui,
My standard approach whenever I need medical information is to get online and start searching webmd.com, nih.gov, and other general searches. I have not had cancer, but found some detailed information on it when I was looking for information on Megace, the progestin I'm taking now. (My situation is another story). The best information I found on endometrial cancer was on the webmd.com site. Just search on endometrial cancer when you get there.
My thoughts are prayers are with you. I would be freaking out too if I had gotten that diagnosis. Keep us posted on your treatment plan and how things are going.

Beth
Unread 01-02-2002, 04:24 PM

Hi Jacqui,
I am very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Its a tough one to hear, but to my knowledge Grade 1 is early stage, and its good that you had the surgery now. These words are very hard to hear, but you will amaze yourself at the strength you will find within yourself to get through this.

You say that there is a chance it wasn't all taken with surgery. Are they recommending any further treatment to ensure they do have it all in addition to monitoring you Jacqui?

There are a couple ladies here who have been through this diagnosis, and hopefully they will be along to share their stories with you. Please know we are here for you and feel free to ask any questions and we will do our best to help you out.

You could also do a site search using uterine cancer as keywords Jacqui, and that will bring up past posts on this in the meantime.

Keeping you in my prayers that they will determine, the surgery did take care of this, and that no further treatment is needed.

Big Hugs,
Maria.
Unread 01-02-2002, 04:27 PM

Hi JacquiS
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis... When you first hear "Cancer" it is always so scary... I was told this past june that I had uterine cancer as well as ovarian cancer.. my uterine cancer was stage III , the ovarian, a stage I ... the surgery prob got all of the cancer but I have had two rounds of radiation therapy just to be on the safe side... my cancer fed on estrogen so I am not able to have any hrt ...So I guess I know a bit of what you are feeling... but just wanted you to know that caught early ( as yours seemed to be) this is a cancer that can be treated successfully....what you need to focus on right now is letting your body heal from the surgery... that is one thing I found out... I could only do one thing at a time... lol...
I will keep you in my prayers... come here often... it has really helped me... there are women here who know much more about this than I do... I am sure that they will message you too....Sondra
Unread 01-02-2002, 04:36 PM

Jacqui - You're in NY, NY. If you're not comfortable with your MD's opinion, go find a really good oncologist for an opinion. You are lucky to live in a place with some of the best doctors at your fingertips.

Don't freak out from a cancer diagnosis. From what I've read a stage I cancer would usually be taken care of with surgery and probably wouldn't require further treatment.

My grandma survived stage II breast cancer and 2 rounds of colon cancer on surgery only and back in the days when people didn't survive. My mother has since survived breast cancer and my dad has had prostate cancer. The odds for the uterine cancer that you have described are definitely in your favor. But, it is important that you be treated correctly. If you are not sure about your current md's recommendations, go and get another one that you are comfortable with.
Unread 01-02-2002, 05:00 PM

JACQUI DEAR,

PLEASE DON'T BE TOO UPSET. I KNOW IT'S VERY SCARY TO HEAR THE C WORD.
I HAD UTERINE (ENDOMETRIAL CANCER), ALSO STAGE 1 OR GRADE 1 WHATEVER!! I HAD MY HYST DONE ON 11/12/01. I NEED NO FURTHER TREATMENT!!
THIS IS A CONTAINED KIND OF CANCER. IT IS VERY SLOW GROWING AND MOST OF THE TIME REQUIRES NO MORE TREATMENT OTHER THAN A TOTAL HYST.
YOU MAY WANT TO GET MORE INFO FROM THE WEB SITES , LIKE WEBMD, OR JUST TYPE HEALTH.COM.
FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME IF I CAN HELP IN ANY WAY.

S

I WAS SCARED TO DEATH, DON'T YOU BE!! IT WILL BE O.K.
Unread 01-02-2002, 08:12 PM

{{Jacqui}}

I'm so sorry you had this unexpected diagnosis, it can be very difficult to hear particularly when you aren't especting it.

From what I understand about Uterine cancer (which isn't much) is that this stage would be contained within the uterus and the surgery would take care of things. I would however, just for peace of mind, if nothing else, talk to a gyn oncologist to discuss things further.

I'm hoping this will be the case with your situation and also you will be able to find some peace. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 01-02-2002, 08:28 PM
{{{Jacqui}}}

I had my hyst on 11/08/00 for uterine cancer. I was given an organ wash to kill any free floating cancer cells. Mine luckily had not spread to the lymph nodes yet. I am also on the 3 year plan...every 3 months for 3 years. So far my checkups have all been clean.

I cannot take any hormones. My Dr. does not want me on any because my cancer was estrogen receptive. Is the Dr. that is giving you the hormones a GYN/Onocologist? I would want to keep in touch with a Gyn/Onocologist. Did they take your ovaries?

As the ladies say, Grade 1 is a very early catch and most likely the cancer was contained, but these are questions you need to ask your Dr. Why did the Dr. say they might not have gotten it all? The path report should show whether or not it was contained. My path report showed that it had not invaded more than one third of the endometrium {2 tumors} and so therefore had not invaded the nodes. Your final path report should reveal alot more information.

I was very scared when I heard cancer. I knew for a month before my surgery and it was a very difficult month. Going into surgery they did not know how far it had progressed and therefore could not determine until I was on the table if they would need to biopsy the nodes. I didn`t know what kind of incisions I would end up with, but it worked out well and I just have a bikini cut.

Don`t panic, Jacqui. Grade 1 was probably a contained cancer. Many of us on the boards have had cancer diagnosis that surgery solved and no further treatment was needed....just lots of checkups.

We are here for you. It is a big shock to hear the word at first, but its very survivable.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register