Scheduled TAH How can I get ready? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How can I get ready? How can I get ready?

Unread 02-05-2012, 09:13 AM
How can I get ready?

1st I must say I Love these board's & can't imagine going thru this with out all the sisters tips, knowledge & support. Thank you All!
My TAH, BSO & BIRCH were scheduled for Feb.24th due to Large Fibroid & heavy bleeding & clots. Been flowing since Dec. 26 (Merry Christmas to me ). Last week called Dr cause flow had increased dramatically. Move surgery up to Feb. 10th. I thought I was going to have time to prepare better. Have house in shape & get myself healthier before surgery.
Been soaking up all the info I can from here, but am so overwhelmed right now. Very weak, dizzy, bloated & generally feel like crap from blood loss & from whatever else is wrong with me! Just want to cry! (and I'm not the crying type).
Need to get grocery's for after surgery - the healthy protein's, fruit & fiber stuff, etc. Get bag packed for castle stay (thank goodness I've gotten most things already), get necessities ready in bedroom/bathroom.
DH of 30 years, has been great getting what I ask, pads & tampons every other day, but somethings I've just got to pick up myself. He's kinda overwhelmed too, worrying about me & getting ready at work to be able to take of to care for me afterwards.
Sorry I'm rambling ladies, guess I just need to get it off my chest.
Must say, it's so very comforting to have found you all, that have or are going through the same things.
Thanks for letting me vent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Re: How can I get ready?

Hi alwaysclassy!

It sounds like you have a good idea of all the things you can do to prepare; it can be overwhelming, all hitting at once. Take a deeeeeep breath. Make a list. Do one thing at a time, focusing on that one thing until it's done, then move on to the next. Otherwise, if you're like me, you'll be overloaded and just not know what to do at all.

It's so nice that you have your DH for support. That alone makes a big difference, I think. Take some time out for just you, too, maybe a treat like a manicure or pedicure or massage. Or just take a long, leisurely walk, either alone or with DH, to just take in and enjoy your surroundings.

Hope all goes well for you! Keep us posted, okay?
Unread 02-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Hi Always Classy,

Pray, Pray, Pray! I will be praying that your surgery and all goes well for you. Glad you have help before and after your surgery.

Get all of the supplies and food now so you can relax before your surgery. Clean what you can when you feel up to it. Things have a way of working themselves out. Think positive thoughts.

I wish you the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Be sure to buy some colace, I take 1 a day still until completely healed. Also get some milk of magnesia, bowel movements are very important in the 1st week of healing. My doctor started giving me colace and m.o.m. as soon as I woke up from anesthesia. I had no gas pains from the surgery.
Unread 02-05-2012, 03:51 PM

Thanks for your support, prayers & suggestions! I have faith that everything will work out for the best. A nap, deep breaths and closing the computer for a bit has helped calm my attack of nerves today!
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:57 PM

Hi Always Classy, our surgeries are the same day. Sounds like you are pretty much organized. I still have to get groceries before the day. My DH is trying to be helpful. I am trying to get the housework and laundry done before Friday. I am a little forgetful and nervous. Starting to have dreams about throwing my mailbox at people who are doing stupid things. What a way to deal with stress. Lol
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyak View Post
Be sure to buy some colace, I take 1 a day still until completely healed. Also get some milk of magnesia, bowel movements are very important in the 1st week of healing. My doctor started giving me colace and m.o.m. as soon as I woke up from anesthesia. I had no gas pains from the surgery.
As always, of course, please check with your before taking any medications either before or after surgery -- even meds available OTC. Some ladies have serious issues with bowel movements after surgery, but others do not -- and thus, they don't need any help in the form of laxatives or softeners at all. .

Also, some ladies react very badly to any sort of stool softener or laxative. I'm in that category. These meds actually INCREASE my pain and distress, so I rely on lots of water, walking, and some strong black coffee to get my system "going" again after surgery.

Here's hoping you have a minimum of distress in this area after your operation!
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:10 AM

Thanks will def. get Dr's ok, I've bought softener & lax. to have if needed. Along with every kinda juice available
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:49 AM

Another item to have in your fridge is yogurt with active cultures. You will most likely get a dose antibiotics in your IV as a preventive measure. The yogurt will help to restore the healthy bacteria in your digestive system and ward off yeast infections.

Good luck!

:cathugs:
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:21 AM

My sugery is tomorrow (!) Feb. 8. I was told by those who came before me to have Dulcolax and Gax X on hand so that's what I bought. Keeping my fingers crossed that the gas won't last too long. Luckily my husband get a real kick out of it when I pass gas (he such a little boy!) so I guess I will be entertaining him! Best to you Alwaysclassy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register