Advice on 2 questions. Thanks! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice on 2 questions. Thanks! Advice on 2 questions. Thanks!

Unread 02-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Advice on 2 questions. Thanks!

I'm 46 yrs old and am scheduled for a hysterectomy via the robotic procedure in 3 wks. I'd appreciate your opinion on two topics, please!
1 - Being that I will be 47 later this year and very much peri-menopausal, would it be beneficial to have my ovaries removed since I'm already nearing menopause? I also have very painful ovulations each cycle with spotting due to my left ovary always forming a cyst or two.
2 - Since I'm having the robotic procedure, will I be comfortable enough to visit with my in-laws who will be visiting 2 weeks after my surgery? If a two-week recovery isn't enough for "entertaining" company, then I will reschedule my surgery to after my in-laws' visit.
Thank you for your time! Pleasant week to you all~*
So...where do I go to learn what the abbreviations on this site stand for...ex: LSH, SAH, TLH???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Re: Advice on 2 questions. Thanks!

I'm 45 and had my surgery on Friday. I decided to keep my ovary because my doctor said if it's not broken, don't take it. It also helps provide much needed hormones.

As for recovery, it depends on what you'll be doing to prepare. I'm 2 days post-op and feel great but I wouldn't want to have to cook, clean or wait on people.

For me, I'm happy to have it done and overwith and plan on relaxing and taking it easy for the next 4 weeks.

Hope this helped,

MonSheri in CT
Unread 02-05-2012, 12:47 PM

I would ask your doctor about the ovaries. I am 38, and had repeat cysts on my ovaries. Doc and I decided to go ahead and take them out. I did not want to have surgery...maybe 6 months from now..to have them removed. I am 2 days away from 4 weeks, and I feel good. I'm driving, going places, and generally get around fairly well. I will go back to work in a week. Consult with your doctor about your ovaries. Good luck to ya!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 01:12 PM

Hey -

I'm 48 and have opted to have both my ovaries removed due to strong family cancer history and a desire to kick myself into menopause - have been in peri for six years with periods still absolutely regular and I'm OVER IT. (My reason for a hyst is cervical cancer...my ovaries are healthy otherwise...but they're going, nonetheless).

You'll get a lot of opinion about the ovary debate. Read everything you can and weigh the pros and cons, study family history of cancer and heart disease - and remember that this is an entirely personal decision and there is no absolute right or wrong answer.

As for visiting in-laws...I think if they expect you to be up making meals and cleaning the house for their visit, you might want to postpone. If, on the otherhand, they don't mind untidiness and if they will be cooking for you and not expecting to be entertained, maybe the company would be nice. Remember - you won't be able to vacuum for a while - or do heavy loads of laundry, etc.

Hope this helps!!
Pam
Unread 02-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies Gal View Post
So...where do I go to learn what the abbreviations on this site stand for...ex: LSH, SAH, TLH???
The abbreviations are in in a link in the pre op forum at the top of all the threads:

"Announcement: FYI: Herbs not to take, abbreviations used, where to post hints"
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Thank you for the replies!
I'm leaning toward having my ovaries removed for several reasons and because I feel like Fishchick does..."I'm OVER IT!" And seeing how my in-laws are very "high maintance" people and wouldn't lift a finger to help out, I'm going to reschedule my surgery for after their visit, which will be the end of March. So, I have a few weeks to be sure about removing my ovaries. I'll keep you posted
Again, thank you all for your replies; and thanks, Sugar&Spice, for help with finding info on this site's abbreviations.
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:56 PM

Please do a lot more research before making your final decision. I fought long & hard to keep my ovary for numerous health reasons and my doctor completely agreed.
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:00 PM

my dr. said if i'd been a little older (i'm 37) he'd take ovaries but he said i needed them .but i think if i was you,i might keep them but didnt you say you had cysts on them.i do too.so since surgery 2-3 days i go thru a painful ovulation.so the decision needs to be yours,all i know is my ovulations have gotten a lot worse since surgery with leaving ovaries that are cysty.there's 1 day out of the month where i feel i need a pain pill.it was never like this before surgery .dr.didnt tell me it would change ovaries this much.it hurts bad. but only for a day or two.i have heard surgical menopause is the worst though.its your choice.
reading other women's texts,some ppl. does excellent in 2 weeks and others dont but the davinci is best and least painful,but still it may ne too soon for company not unless they are understanding.
sorry no help but ultimately both are your decisions,i dont know which way i would go if i were you. good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register