horrible PAIN, 10 days post op.. excessive tolerance to pain meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

horrible PAIN, 10 days post op.. excessive tolerance to pain meds horrible PAIN, 10 days post op.. excessive tolerance to pain meds

Unread 02-06-2012, 11:26 AM
horrible PAIN, 10 days post op.. excessive tolerance to pain meds

Hi there,
I have been home from the hospital for a little over a week. I am in SO much pain most days that I feel like I'm going a little crazy. The trouble is, I had terrible pelvic pain every day for about a year before finally having the hysterectomy, so have been on norco for quite a long time. My body's tolerance to it is extremely high, so it takes an excessive amount to get any relief. I'm afraid I'm going to be left still in unbearable and also going through withdrawals, as I have been taking a lot more than I should be just to make life bearable.

Is there another pain medication that works, that maybe I could switch to? What was prescribed to you ladies for pain?

This is a scary issue, as I know that I have to be addicted to norco, and that it may be tough to get off of it. It doesn't give me any kind of high; an exorbitant amt. just curbs the pain so that I'm not laying there sobbing. My GYN is very insensitive when it comes to pain, so I get my pain meds through a PA that I see, who is, fortunately, much more compassionate. But, I'm afraid that even the PA won't be willing to give me enough to get through this recovery period at the rate I've been taking them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm SO SICK of pills; have never taken so many pills in my life and I hate it and want to be done with it so badly. I hope that once I get through my recovery period, the pain will allow me to start weaning off. I honestly did not expect the post-op experience to be SO bad - I did this hysterectomy out of desperation because I was so worn down by pain, but since having it done, the pain has actually been worse than it was before much of the time.

Thanks all - I'm glad to have this forum to come to - my gyn really did not warn me as to what I could expect, so this has all been a rude awakening for me.

Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Re: horrible PAIN, 10 days post op.. excessive tolerance to pain meds

I have just been weened of pain relief from years of being on morphine based pills, however doc put me on program to reduce over weeks but i figured whilst I was going through so much I would take the leap and go cold turkey, it wasn't ad bad as i thought and I'm riding it out now with paracetomol and anti imflamatorys but that was my choice, I understand what your feeling but if u r in pain ask for something else and when off them when your well, this is not your fault and you shouldn't be in pain x
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM

btw, I had a vaginal hysterectomy, and a cyst was detected during the procedure, so the cyst and part of that ovary were removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Thank you, I may need to talk about getting on something different. My PA had mentioned morphine based meds at a pre-op visit, but then said he didn't want to go that route. He might have a different take on it now, though. I appreciate the response; thanks for sharing your experience!
Tracy
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:42 AM

Sister,

one person isn't another, but I'll give you my testimony. I had lavh and had no pain from the second day (or barely any). The fact you have such a terrible pain 10 days after makes me wonder if everything is alright with you.

Perhaps you could tell your doctor you're in a lot of pain. Not to ask for more meds (since you say she isn't sensitive to this), but to ask if it is normal you're in such pain even 10 days after op.

My best wishes to you. I hope your pain will stop!
Hugs.
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM

Hope you get sorted, you don't need to be in pain, I was embarrassed at hosp discussing my addiction and felt I had to justify myself, pain I was experiencing pre op I had to take them just to be able to fundamentally function, and doc put me on slow release pills in the end, then cos I was so tolerant I was on morphine for ages after hyst , was a nightmare, I'm glad I'm past it, I really feel for you and hope that when you do reduce/stop it is an transition for you xx
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:52 PM

I had a lavh on the same day you did and I still have a lot of pain. So I would listen to your body and not what others have experienced. I was telling my doc about this sight and how women are saying that they have No pain 2 or 3 days after this surgery and she told me that most women experience pain weeks after this procedure and the few that are pain free with in days are very lucky, but it is not the norm.
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:37 PM

Only you know your own body, I wasn't saying that your pain is normal, merely stating that because one person takes one thing for pain and it helps them , chances are because of your tolerance you will need something stronger, obviously if you are in agony pain then you need seen to by doc, and stronger med and investigation that goes without saying., I hope you are pain free soon x
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM

I too had my DaVinci hysterectomy about 2 wks. ago,and also found that I am in constant pain without pain meds my Dr.prescribed me percocet which def. helps,I also have had pelvic pain for coming up on 5 yrs,since I had my daughter,and I had my second c-section and also had my tubes tied,this pain had started since then,so I hope we both can get past this,I also did not realize how little I am ableto do post surgery,I have been told it takes along time to heal I just hope I am not stuck like this,I can truly sympathize with you,I hope this get better.
Unread 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Thank you everyone! Yes, I don't feel like anyone gave me any kind of accurate warning before surgery as to what to expect post op.

One friend recently told me that she knows a gal who had a hyst. 4 weeks ago who is just now starting to get up and around, so that made me feel less abnormal..and hearing from those of you who are taking longer to heal gives me hope as well. I had no idea it would be this hard and that I would be so incapacitated!

I do tend to be a slow healer, and I'm very sensitive to pain. I just hope that I'm better somewhat soon, as it's getting old laying here day after day, relying on pain meds that often just don't cut it, and wondering if the dr. (well, the PA) will be willing to provide them for however long it takes me to heal, and also long enough for me to be able to wean myself down. I'm scared of being in terrible pain with no relief and/or having to go cold turkey!

My gyn practically accused me of being a junkie at one point, for crying out loud..that hurt. He ended up asking me to get my PA to provide the pain meds, which I think is rather ridiculous - he just saw me as a liability and wanted to protect himself, he didn't seem to actually care about me as a person very much. I won't be using him after this. I realize that I am addicted, but it happened because of real pain and I was just trying to function. I was working last year and couldn't have done it at all without medication, as the pain got worse and worse as the year went on. Even after all I went through to try and keep our heads above water financially, (things have been bad in that dept.) I ended up being released from my position due to taking too many sick days. There were just too many days when I couldn't push through, and since it was my probationary year, they let me go.

It's okay; it was actually a relief in a way, and I left on good terms and was assured that I'd be welcomed back if I can get things under control. Still, the finances are in a state of disaster with all of these mounting medical bills and my being unable to bring in an income. I want to be able to do something, to be a help, not just a lump on a log that's causing more and more financial strain! Oh, and in the midst of all of this, I recently tested positive for lyme disease..I'm not sure what that's going to mean yet. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Thanks for listening!
Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register