Scheduled LSH Period if keeping cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Period if keeping cervix? Period if keeping cervix?

Unread 02-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Period if keeping cervix?

I read somewhere that if you keep your cervix (which I am, along with one ovary) that you will still get a monthly period. Is this true?! I was looking forward to being done with that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Re: Period if keeping cervix?

Yes its true its called a mini period. Now how much you will bleed will depend on your body. I have no personal experience just from what I have read while waiting for my surgery. I will have mine taken out for this reason. Good luck on your surgery : )
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM

darlac59- yes, it is said you can have a mini period when the cervix is left in. Most DR's will cauterize it to prevent this.

I have seen a touch of blood on the toliet tissue. Has happened around the time my period would have been so I am assuming this is my mini period. It's so little I would call it a super mini, mini period. Not even enough for a panty liner.

Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatziLKF View Post
darlac59- yes, it is said you can have a mini period when the cervix is left in. Most DR's will cauterize it to prevent this.

I have seen a touch of blood on the toliet tissue. Has happened around the time my period would have been so I am assuming this is my mini period. It's so little I would call it a super mini, mini period. Not even enough for a panty liner.

Good luck to you!
That's good to hear. Thanks.
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM

Most drs. cauterize the top part of the cervix. It is not always successful in eliminating the lining tissue that bleeds. I think most women have no or almost no bleeding. I'm not sure where mine will settle down to but it has been lasting about 3 days but is so light that one or two panty liners would catch it all.

Compared to what I lived with this is ok. I don't have cramps. I don't have the really psycho pms that I've had most of my life. It is really just a minor annoyance. I have heard that for many women it eventually stops too.

While I'm a little disappointed that I still seem to be having periods it is not the end of the world.
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM

I was told that I could bleed at anytime of the month if I kept my cervix. Based on this and the fact that keeping it meant future chance of cancer, I chose to have it removed.
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:02 AM

My dr. told it me it would cycle with my regular period time, which it seems to be doing.

If you are at high risk for cervical cancer then it is a good idea to have it removed. If you are at normal risk then you are still the same after a hyst. If you keep your cervix you will still need paps.
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:49 AM

Mini-periods can happen. I kept my cervix and have not had a drop of blood since surgery. I did however have novasure ablation 9 weeks before my SAH.
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:13 AM

My surgery is a month out. My Dr told me that he will leave both ovaries. I am not sure about the cervix but he did tell me I would no longer get a period which is pretty much the whole purpose in having this done for me.
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:32 AM

interesting, I would of thought it impossible.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register