some well heeded advice and some not so well heeded advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

some well heeded advice and some not so well heeded advice some well heeded advice and some not so well heeded advice

Unread 01-02-2002, 06:12 PM
some well heeded advice and some not so well heeded advice

Hi ladies.
I had my surgery on dec 18 and I had unfortunatly had complications with some things not wanted to come out. Still recovering very slowly and not able to do much. I thought of some things that I read here or I was told and wanted to pass on things that helped or didn't help.
Number one on that list is thank you to who ever said bring chap stick. It came in handy. Also as for things to pack they gave me everything I needed and treated me well but my robe and slippers came in handy. I smoke so some air freshner and maybe ashtray would have been nice for sneaking cigs in the bathroom but I didn't have them. I had a book but I could not focus to read so that didn't help. I brought pictures of my loved ones and that helped a whole lot while I cried. Everyone tells you to drink but hot liquids like apple cider or tea was the best. One nurse gave me that suggestion. Also for those ladies that do not have a bowel prep or any suggestions from doctor about eating before other then the after midnight thing don't eat much. Please don't eat alot before surgery for a few days. Go to the bathroom as much as neccessary and If I had it to do over I would probably request an enemea. The first time poohing after wards was horrible. It took a week and that hurt so badly. It hurt to go. My insides felt as thought they were falling out. But I can suggest a light stool softner like milk of magnesia softer and that made things start to go again. So maybe starting that right away instead of waiting for a problem is best. Ok ladies I hope I remembered all I wanted to say s to all of you and good luck One more thing candie to **** on would have been nice too. I didn't have any of that either. Ok ladies Love to all Sassy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2002, 07:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts....it's good to hear what worked and what didn't!!

I hope your recovery goes well, and please keep us posted on how you are doing!

Remember to take things slow and easy....you are early in your recovery!

Karen
Unread 01-02-2002, 10:58 PM

Thank you for the great advice. This kind of stuff really helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2002, 05:47 AM

I have to agree about not eating much for the few days before the surgery. It really does help keep the gas in check if there's not much in your intestines to create gas. I was instructed to go on clear liquids 48 hrs before the surgery, but I actually cut way down and had only easily digestible food for 2 days before that. I only ate enough to keep from being hungry and ate several mini-meals every day rather than regular meals. I had stuff like chicken soup, small portions of baked chicken, rice, scrambled eggs, and yogurt. It's important to keep your strength up and enhance your healing capabilities with good, easily digestible sources of protein and calcium in the days before surgery, but you don't want a lot of residue left in your system from heavy food. I really believe that eating lightly reduces the problems with gas and nausea from the anesthesia.

As unpleasant as the bowel prep is, I think that really helps too. My DR had me do one the afternoon before and I had almost no gas after surgery. It also made my first bm after surgery very easy. It's one time in your life that you actually welcome loose stools! <g>

Not every DR requires the bowel prep, but if mine didn't, I'd at least ask about it. It's really not bad at all and it really helped me. I got to spend a couple of hours in the bathroom reading and didn't have the gas problems that so many do. The magnesium citrate that you have to drink isn't all that bad if you chill it first and a slighty irritated anus is easily fixed with a little diaper rash ointment! I learned this very helpful hint right here so I'm passing it along to all you current LIW's. <g>

The very last thing you want after surgery is a difficult bm or horrid gas pains.

Arebella

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register