nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-07-2012, 10:13 PM
nervous

Hi all.
My surgery date is Feb. 20. Am so very relieved to be getting this surgery, but am feeling very nervous. I only got to know the date last Friday. I am already starting to stress. Because of where we live, I need to travel 11 hours to the Dr. and hospital for surgery. And then have the added worry of the trip home. Has anyone else had to deal with a long distance trip after their surgery? I have not gotten any bloodwork done yet, and am still awaiting a call to see what I need to get done and when I have to be at the hospital, etc, but they aren't supposed to call until next week.... So now I sit and wait and stress... I have a "nervous" stomach off and on all day. I am trying to get the house cleaned up and prepped, but I feel like I am running out of time already as I have full time job up until day before we leave with only 1 more weekend at home. Don't know how to relax. Thanks for listening.. Just kinda needed to let it out. Any insight, advice, etc. would be appreciated. At least this way I can vent without stressing my hubby. He is very supportive, but worries about me too much. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Re: nervous

We are here for you. WOW 11hr? Can you drive a van so u can lay down throughout the trip home? Either way, have lots of cushions, a blanket or 2, DRUGS lol and make frequent stops to have little walks. Let the hospital know so you don't get released too soon. By the time I left the hospital I wAs able to sit upright for some time - it shouldn't be too too bad. BIG HUGS
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Re: nervous

That is a very long drive. Talk to your doctor - an extra day in the hospital might make a difference, then again maybe not. Ugh. I won't lie to you - it isn't going to be pleasant. Be sure to have a small pillow to cushion your stomach from the seat belt and plan to make several pit stops along the way. Sitting that long will be uncomfortable and getting out and walking a bit every hour or so might be really helpful. Recline the seat if possible - but not too far because that's not real safe either. You might consider making it a 2 day trip.

Some women really like the belly binders. I bought one and used it some, but not as much as I thought I would. The Perfect Pocket sold here is the one I got and I did like the cold pack pocket. Maybe have cold packs in a cooler just in case you want one.

In the mean time, breathe! Do what you can and let the rest wait. It will still be there when you are ready to tackle it. Make friends with your dust bunnies.

And learn to relax. You will need to take it very easy for a couple of weeks and it can get pretty boring, but trust me, it's well worth it. Doing too much too soon can slow your recover and lead to complications.

Best of luck to you and take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register