Hyperplasia ???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyperplasia ???? Hyperplasia ????

Unread 01-02-2002, 08:15 PM
Hyperplasia ????

Hi all,
I have never visited this board as I thought cancer was not a concern for me. I talked to my primary care doc at my 2 week check and he told me that my pathology report said complex hyperplasia. Can anyone please explain this to me what it means. Does it mean that if I did not have the hysterectomy then down the road I would have ended up with uterine cancer? Or am I misunderstanding it all. Thanks for any input you can offer. s to you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2002, 08:51 PM
Hyperplasia??????????

Dear Denise,
Hi I am still in a big way doing research on all the items that are listed on my pathology report. I am pasting the definition of hyperplasia here for you. I do not know if it would have develpoed into cancer in your case.
I use webmd and the national cancer institute for alot of my research.
Hope this helps.
Hyperplasia (hye-per-PLAY-zha) -- A precancerous condition in which there is an increase in the number of normal cells lining the uterus.
Unread 01-02-2002, 09:19 PM
Hyperplasia ????

My surgery was done because of "complex atypical endometrial hyperplasia" and when my pathology report came back it showed that I had Stage Ib uterine cancer -- which was "cured" because it was contained within the uterus. By removing the uterus, it removed the cancer. I also was told I had ovarian cancer, but that was changed to "borderline" so no chemo was required. I was told that if left untreated hyperplasia could turn to cancer. In my case, it did -- but it was not invasive. You apparently were also lucky. I believe that the polycystic ovaries are the reason for this condition in both of us. I was told when I was 26 that I had polycystic ovaries. With this condition, you can get a period but not always ovulate. I am not a medical professional, only an informed patient.
To get more info, try www.medscape.com. You have to sign up to read the articles, but it doesn't cost anything. Also try www.webmd.com for easier-to-understand information.
Best wishes for a great 2002!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2002, 12:42 AM
Hyperplasia ????

Hi,
I had my hyster done because of complex hyperplasia atypia. This is a great page that describes the different types of hyperplasia http://www.baymoon.com/~gyncancer/li.../aa110600b.htm . I did a lot of research on about.com and using the google search engine
In apr 2001, I was diagonised with complex hyperplasia atypia . My put my on megace which didn't even touch it and in august they had upgraded it to uterine cancer. Because we wanted to preserve fertility we tried 300 mg progesterone a day and had an IUD put in(for local application of the drug). In Nov they downgraded it back to complex hyperplasia atypia. However I was told that it might take up to a few years to completely revert my uterus back to child bearing state. The drugs made me soooo and :devil: that we decided to go ahead with the hyster. I would talk to your dr and see what they say. I talked with 3 drs ---my GYN, a reproductive endrocronogolist, and a gyn oncologist---the last two being far more agressive in drug treatment than my GYN. She wanted me to have the hyster back in apr. Hope this helps
Unread 01-03-2002, 05:14 AM
Hyperplasia ????

One of the first few posts in this forum is a dictionary of terms which many of the women find helpful in reading their pathology reports. You may find it of some use also.
Unread 01-03-2002, 10:12 AM
Hyperplasia ????

Thank you all for your quick replys I will check out the links that you provided for me.
I will be seeing my gyn in three weeks so I plan to be ready for him.
Thany you again,s to youall
Unread 01-03-2002, 12:09 PM
Hyperplasia ????

Hi Denise!!!
Looks like you have some great replies here, and I just wanted to pop in and say, that I am so glad you had this surgery, to get rid of this now in the event it may have turned into something later on down the road!!
I hope your recovery is going well and you are resting lots. Knowing the wonderful people of Nfld. I am sure your dear mom sent you a great care package from home to help with your recovery!!
All the best Denise!
Hugs,
Maria xoxo
Unread 01-05-2002, 12:37 PM
Info

I, too, received the diagnosis of compex hyperplasia on my post op path report. I'd had my hyster for a big fibroid.

I looked hyperplasia up in the book "Women's Bodies' Women's Wisdom", by Dr. Christiane Northrup, and this is what the entry said:

"In some women with irregular periods, a biopsy of the inside of the uterus (endometrial biopsy) reveals a condition in which the normal lining of the uterus has been replaced by an overgrowth of glandular tissue. Under the microscope, the endometrial glands look as if they are piled on top of each other and packed too closely. This overgrowth results from over stimulation of the uterine lining by estrogen without the balance of progesterone. It is known as cystic and adenomatous hyperplasia (meaning too many glands) of the endo-metrium. (It is not to be confused with endometriosis, which will be discussed at length in Chapter 6.) Hyperplasia results when a woman's ovaries haven't produced eggs regularly. Instead of a uniform thickening and then sloughing of the uterine lining (the endometrium), caused by the hormones associated with regular ovulation, the endometrium gets out of sync. Some parts of the lining "think" it's day seven, while others think it's day twenty-eight. This results in irregular and intermittent bleeding."

I never had irregular periods, just some spotting in between the heavy flows, though I had several "mild changes" pap smears.

I'm just glad that the surgery took all this stuff away!

Thanks for the links on this thread. Like Newfie, I want to find out all I can!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register