3 wks post op and bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 wks post op and bleeding 3 wks post op and bleeding

Unread 02-08-2012, 01:39 PM
3 wks post op and bleeding

I'm 3 weeks post op after a Hysterectomy. Only my Uterus was removed. I am bleeding. It's a light pink color. It has a foul odor and sometimes looks like mucus. The frequency has increased to the point that I have to wear a panty liner now. My doctor said it was normal to bleed after surgery but I'm not so sure I'm satisfied with that answer because everyone I know who has had this done said they did not bleed past a day or 2. What can this be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Re: 3 wks post op and bleeding

I was told to expect discharge up to 6 weeks post op, if it becomes bright red or smell offensive then to call doc. If you are satisfied with your doc then see how you go, or even for peace of mind get it checked out. Either way take it easy, hope you get sorted x
Unread 02-08-2012, 02:02 PM

Some bleeding is normal after surgery for about 6 weeks. Especially around the 3 to 5 week mark as this is when some of the internal stitches are starting to dissolve. If you start bleeding heavily (like a period) or passing large clots, you should contact your immediately.

It is concerning that you say that the discharge has a foul odor to it. I know there was some odor around this time of my recovery. It kind of smelled like old blood (which is exactly what it was) and again was caused by internal stitches dissolving. I would maybe put a call in to your doctor just in case. Sometimes a foul smell can indicate an infection which should not be ignored.

to you. I hope the bleeding and the odor go away soon and you can have a smooth recovery from here on out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks ladies. I am on antibotics because I had all the systoms of a uti but it turns out the test came back neg. I am due to see her next Mon. so I'll see how it goes till then.

I just pray that this is all part of he process and I don't end up like some of the stories I've read about woman getting periods after years. The whole point of the surgery was to stop the periods.
Unread 02-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Please let me know how your Doctor visit goes, I am experiencing the exact same symptoms. I went to my family doctor and she too ruled out UTI and treated me with Diflucan in case it was a yeast infection. I have instructions to go see Surgeon if I'm not better in a few days. Curious... Do you have pain when going to the bathroom?
Unread 02-08-2012, 03:54 PM

I do have what I call a pressure type of pain. Especially in the morning. I'm even waking up in the middle of the night to go pee. I also been cramping before I have to go or pass gas but this has got better. I will let you know how doc apt goes. Hope you feel better.
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:47 AM

Thank you for info. I am at 3 week mark and have had a brownish spotting happening more often and was wondering if I could get answers here. I will keep an eye on it But after reading responses I feel better.
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:22 AM

Sorry for the delay in posting this. So I had my apt on Mon. Told doc I was feeling a lot better but still have the light bleeding. She checked me and sure enough saw something. She treated me with Silver Nitrate. I asked her if this would keep happening to me every month (this is my normal 2 week pre period pms time) she said it may but hopefully not. I def was not liking that answer and told her outright if that happens I'm gonna be really upset because I just went threw major surgery to get rid of it. Now of course it won't be as before with the pain and very heavy bleeding, but it was never mentioned to me that this may happen.

Anyway after the treatment I felt a bit blah after but fine the next day. The next day I didn't have much pink it was more brownish yellowish. so I was happy. But here we are on Thursday and the darn light pink is back just like before. Seems to be more on the TP in the am.
I'm def not happy and very fustrated with the whole thing. I'm at the end of my 4th week now. Still can't do anything like gym or sex etc till 6 weeks but I'm concerned if I would even be able to do anything at that point if this bleeding keeps happening.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register