How do you feel when you increase your dose. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do you feel when you increase your dose. How do you feel when you increase your dose.

Unread 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
How do you feel when you increase your dose.

I started on Estrogel 6 weeks post op, one pump a day. I was still feeling on edge about 12 hours after my dose. The hot flashes still coming on strong and haunting me all night long. My doctor raised my dose to two pumps, one in the morning and one in the evening. I feel my hot flashes are getting worse, horrible headache, and feeling really on edge. Is it normal to feel like this when you increase the dose. I am wondering if I need to try something else. Its been nine weeks now and I still wake up every two hours. I am desperate for sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Re: How do you feel when you increase your dose.

It may still not be enough. If it's been 9 weeks and your symptoms are no better, it's time to call your Dr. back and ask if he/she would raise the dose as you are still suffering from unresolved menopausal symptoms. It's normal to notice hot flashes right after you raise your dose. Hot flashes occur with fluctuations as well as when levels are too low. Your stores of estrogen dwindle down after surgery. The dose that helped you immediately post op may not be quite enough now. Some women are using 3, 4, or even more pumps of Estrogel. There are lots of other options if you find that Estrogel doesn't work for you. Just keep communicating with your Dr. Since it's trial and error to find out the type and dose you will need, your Dr. needs to hear how you're doing.
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:13 PM

Hi E2Me2,

Thanks for the response. I just started the dose on Monday. How long would you recommend waiting to see if it helps? I am so foggy headed, its getting old it may be lack of sleep. Some days I wonder if i ever will feel normal again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2012, 12:31 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't read your post closely enough! You said it had been 9 weeks. You obvously meant 9 weeks since your surgery not since your last dose adjustment. I'm not sure how long your Dr. will want you to wait at this level. It DOES take a bit of time for your body to settle in when the dose changes. It sure does seem like your body is wanting more estrogen though.

I've had chronic insomnia for quite a few years. I can tell you that I'm not at my best when I'm sleep deprived either. Estrogen will definitely help with that when you get your level optimized. It can sometimes be a slow process though. If you get to the point that you feel you just aren't adjusting well to this new dose, don't be afraid to call your Dr.'s office. Speak to the nurse and express your concerns.

To help temporarily with sleep you could try something like Tylenol PM or Benadryl.

It's really helpful to start journaling and keeping track of all of your symptoms. Looking back at duration and intensity of symptoms can help you to see a pattern or whether or not there have been any improvements. It's also really helpful when you talk with your Dr.

You will feel normal again! Take good care of yourself and know that a lot of us had a hard time just as you are now and we made it through it. You will too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register