Post surgery worries - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post surgery worries Post surgery worries

Unread 02-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Re: Post surgery worries

I'm 49. I had a TAH 5 weeks ago and am feeling great - not the first complication (knock on wood). I had my one remaining ovary removed due to surgical complications. I really, really wanted to keep that ovary but it was not meant to be. My mom had breast cancer at age 65 after being on HRT for many years. It was caught early (lumpectomy and radiation only). My mom was actually the one to make me feel better about taking HRT (I'm on an estrogen patch since the day after surgery). She pointed out that if I hadn't had this surgery, my ovary would have been putting out hormones for at least another couple of years. She is right. I wasn't anywhere near menopause prior to the surgery, so replacing my hormones for a few more years isn't going to kill me. My doctor said the same thing.

Some women have their ovaries removed and don't experience much in the way of symptoms. Others do. That is no different than women who don't have hysterectomies. Many women experience bad menopausal symptoms and have to make the choice to go on HRT or not. My best friend has never had a surgery in her life and has been going through horrible menopausal symptoms for the last few years. She was terrified of HRT but she finally went on for a short period of time to get her over the hump and now she feels much better even off of them.

If you do experience bad symptoms, you can always go on HRT and then slowly taper off over a few years. That is the current recommendation for women who take HRT now.

And if you really don't want to do HRT, many women find that anti-depressants and other over the counter products that seem to work well. Lots of success stories here in the hormone section. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2012, 04:02 PM

Thank you so much for all the comforting words, you guys have eased my fears. I'm blessed to have found you all.
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:24 PM

HI- I am right there with you. I too am March 7 for a robotic LHS. Yesterday I was pretty excited at the thought that I might finally start feeling human again once this is done. However, today I was reading on another site and they said all kinds of stuff about Chronic fatigue and extream weight gain. Now I am questioning what I am doing. Anyone that can shed some light it would be very welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianBarone21 View Post
I'm glad I found you too!!! What unsettled me was reading that once I don't have my ovaries if I don't get hormone therapy (which they link to a higher risk of cancer) I will experience depression, that my body will be thrust into menopause and I will have an unbalance in my body. There is history of breast cancer in my family. My maternal grandmother died from it, and I have to maternal aunts that also have it.

What others have experienced is what THEY experienced. That doesn't mean it will be the same for you. If I could give any advice to women who come here before their surgeries it would be to NOT read posts where others are having problems. Surgery can be frightening, and you shouldn't borrow trouble.

I will celebrate my four year anniversary this April, and I can tell you that my recovery was not horrible (but make sure you do what your doctor tells you to), and I am pretty much the same person after as I was before. Just four years older I was thrust into menopause too, and I have very few hot flashes, I haven't gained weight and I'm not depressed. I am not on HRT. Don't assume the worst!

Good luck to you
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms99 View Post
HI- I am right there with you. I too am March 7 for a robotic LHS. Yesterday I was pretty excited at the thought that I might finally start feeling human again once this is done. However, today I was reading on another site and they said all kinds of stuff about Chronic fatigue and extream weight gain. Now I am questioning what I am doing. Anyone that can shed some light it would be very welcome
Hello, Ims. Stay away from these negative sites. I'm not being a Pollyana, but they tell you everything that could possibly go wrong and fail to tell you the benefits of surgery. I remember reading on one of those sites after my diagnosis, and I was absolutely terrified. But I had cancer and there was no question I needed the surgery. Here I am almost four years later and doing great, and there are many women who are doing just as well!

The ladies here are very supportive and help you as you go through this journey. Good luck
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:10 PM

I also learned the hard way to stay away from other sites and ended spending many hours googling 'positive hysterectomy experiences' to counter-balance those negative sites.

If you hang around here long enough you will figure out the majority of women have positive long-term experiences. That's not to say there's not the occasional bump in the road and there are some women who do end up having difficulties long-term but that is not the norm.

To make sure I was getting some objective data, I looked at a number of studies and surveys done about whether a hysterectomy improved the quality of a woman's life. Hands down every study stated that the vast majority of women (80% and up) reported an increase in quality of life and the same for their sex life post-surgery. That's what won me over. That and the fact that several women I know in real life told me it was one of the best things they had done for themselves.
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM

Vivian - I too was a total mess! I have canceled this surgery several times and have tried every optional treatment there is. I would read the post op boards and get so scared that I just could not go thru with the surgery.

Well, I was left with no option and had to have surgery or risk my life. It was at that point that I chose to just not read the post op forum and just focus on getting myself ready. It isn't the I don't value the post op forum it just was that wasn't where I was at. I chose to focus on getting my self ready and visualizing what life was going to be like after. And I have to tell you I am looking forward to a great life.

I am 10 days out and the pain has been manageable. Each day I have my hurtles but they aren't anything I can't handle. My husband has been my rock and that has helped so much!

I had so many fears too, but so far my worries were for nothing. I'm doing well! Try to be kind to yourself!!!
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:30 PM

I know what unsettled is! I just had a TAH Wed morning and I was a complete wreck for weeks leading up to it. I can honestly say it was nothing I couldn't handle.. I am 34 and had a 6 lb fibroid.. I'm so relieved to b rid of it! Don't worry.. you are stronger/braver than u think.
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Thanks one and all, I am getting back to a good place.
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:12 AM

In my personal opinion, remember everyone had one, when I heard hysterectomy, you could have just said life was over, I thought. I am not one to sit back and not look for answers, so I looked and googled and ask lots of questions. Some of the info scared me and some made me wonder how i was going to ever live through it, why would anyone ever endure. I am 3 days post surgery and have this advice Listen, read, explore, ask questions and then re ask them and then ask yourself what do i need to understand and what do I understand, what more do i need to know. Yes there is scary horrible stories after surgies but after looking and listening, most of what I heard was MY LIFE would return to a happy abnormal normalness and I would SURVIVE. Life is about risk and rewards and there are true risk with any type of procedures but you have to read and research all the rewards the after the procedures have. Sorry for this weird post one reward is definitely the pain meds work really GOOD and the support on here is wonderful

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register