Cancer diagnosis after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cancer diagnosis after surgery Cancer diagnosis after surgery

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Cancer diagnosis after surgery

I had a hysterectomy because of precancerous cells in my uterus. The doctor removed the uterus and cervix. After 3 days, my doctor called with the news of cancer. The cancer was contained to the lining of the uterus and no other cancer treatment will be needed. I am scheduled for a CT of the pelvic and stomach. I am concerned because every thing I have read states when cancer is present the ovaries and tubes are also removed. Has anyone else been in this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Re: Cancer diagnosis after surgery

Sorry 4 your diagnosis and fingers crossed for clear CT x
Unread 02-09-2012, 02:22 AM

I am sorry to hear this Annie. I hope your ct scan is clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2012, 02:29 AM

Annie, there is a section further down in the forums dedicated to sisters with cancer or cancer queries, you may find extra support there or have questions answered as the sisters are in the same boat ad you, wherever you post u will find support here xx
Unread 02-09-2012, 04:11 AM

{hugs}
So sorry to hear that - it sucks. Fingers crossed for a clear scan.
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:42 AM
Cancer diagnosis after surgery

Thanks for ask the support.
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:23 AM

Annie, my hyst was done due to early cervical cancer, which was all successfully removed. Since I am only 34 and had read extensively about the health benefits associated with the hormones the ovaries produce, I asked my oncologist if I could keep them. He told me it was fine with him, and that there would be less than a 1 percent chance of getting ovarian cancer.

Hope that helps, and wish you the best on your test results.
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:39 AM

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Finger crossed for a clear CT!
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:50 AM

I had my hysterectomy due to confirmed cancer from a D&C. During the first visit we discussed whether I wanted to keep ovaries or not.

If you go to the cancer forum (keep paging down below the post-op forum) you will also see others who seek solutions to allow them to keep their ovaries. So I think it is not uncommon. Also, the CT scan will allow them to confirm. They can see the cancer cells appear different than normal cells on the CT scan. They can also see the size of lymph nodes and organs. It allows the Dr to be more confident in what he has already shared. It is good news that it has been confined to the lining and not moved on to the uterine wall itself. The CT scans are used by some Doctors to help monitor after cancer has been removed.

I was nervous about how the CT scan would feel / be. It is not bad, similar to a xray in that you lay there. They give you something to drink before (doesn't taste great). Then during the scan they will tell you to breathe deep and hold for a bit. I also had the chest scanned and they injected the contrast material - that resulted in one point of the scan making me feel very warm inside. Felt like I was sitting on a heating pad on high but they told me about the heat as they were preparing the injection.
Best Wishes for a clean scan!
Unread 02-09-2012, 08:13 AM

Annie, I would suggest posting a topic in the Cancer Concerns forum. The lovely ladies in the group no one wants to belong to are awesome and really can provide helpful information.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register