Adenomyosis Diagnosis - Hysterectomy Scheduled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenomyosis Diagnosis - Hysterectomy Scheduled Adenomyosis Diagnosis - Hysterectomy Scheduled

Unread 02-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Adenomyosis Diagnosis - Hysterectomy Scheduled

So I've made the decision to do the hysterectomy (just the uterus, keeping ovaries and tubes). It's scheduled for March 27, 2012 at 8:50am.

I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis, and given the pain that I've had and the knowledge that it is not a condition that will get better with time, I know it's the best decision for me. It's just kind of shocking.. I am 36, and this was not even something I thought I would be considering at this point in my life. I know there are other "band-aid" treatments I could try.. but I know that none of them will actually make it better or cure it.

I am glad that I have about 6 weeks to absorb the whole idea and prepare mentally.. and get organized (meals in the freezer, homeschooling lessons laid out, etc). I won't know until my pre-op (March 22) if it can be done laparoscopically or if it will be abdominal, so I'm trying to be prepared should I have the longer recovery time.

I'm feeling rather lost since I don't even know what to ask...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2012, 02:55 AM
Re: Adenomyosis Diagnosis - Hysterectomy Scheduled

Wow. You sound so organized!

We are homeschoolers over here, too.

I am hoping to get some meals made but we all got sick with colds this past week so now I am just hoping to get my surgery on time.

I'm glad you feel like you got the time you needed to prepare yourself mentally. I've kind of been gearing up for this in the back of my head for several years now as each "band-aid" method failed. I decided to skip the last band-aid and just get the hyster so I'd finally get all 3 issues taken care of at once.
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:02 AM

I found a lot of the info in the Hyster Sisters booklet helpful. Did you order one? I think there is an e-book version as well.

I received one from my surgeon and then upon returning from my appointment, I found the one I'd ordered had come in the mail that day.

One the thing I found really helpful was the list of questions to ask the doctor for making the most of your pre-op appointment. I also really liked how there were concrete examples of what was meant by terms such as "light housecleaning."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2012, 08:49 AM

You will do fine....

As you are organize your meals, purchase a few meal replacement shakes and/or broth. I lost my appetite for about a week, I didn't want to eat and when I did eat I didn't eat much.
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:58 PM

Thank you both for your tips!

I *sound* organized.. but I'm not I think it's mostly that I feel so out of control, that I am controlling what I can: food in my fridge, laundry, and paperwork.

Don't get me wrong.. I feel very in charge of my decision to have the hysterectomy.. but I feel very out of control regarding what is going on inside. And I am grateful that I don't have a life-threatening illness, but I still feel like I'm running the gamut of emotions. Having a task(s) keeps my mind occupied
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:08 PM

i know how you feel. I am 37 with adenomyosis. i also chose the hysterectomy route. i am too uncomfortable and in too much pain all the time to try options that might or might not work. i feel a horrible lackof control. i go in monday morning and come home wednesday morning. iknow i need that time in the hospital to rest. but honestly i want to be at home so i know that my home is running the way i set it up. i realize that makes me a control freak. but we have a large family, and i have schedules set up. without those schedules chaos happens. my kids and my husband cant seem to find their socks on a daily basis. so whats going to happen if i am not here?

i guess what i am saying is you are not alone in your worries. hang in there.

hugs
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanna_k View Post
Thank you both for your tips!

I *sound* organized.. but I'm not I think it's mostly that I feel so out of control, that I am controlling what I can: food in my fridge, laundry, and paperwork.

Don't get me wrong.. I feel very in charge of my decision to have the hysterectomy.. but I feel very out of control regarding what is going on inside. And I am grateful that I don't have a life-threatening illness, but I still feel like I'm running the gamut of emotions. Having a task(s) keeps my mind occupied
I know .. I was the same way. Almost forgot something, make sure you have a few pair of comfy pants.. (yoga pants are my favorite) .. Its been just over 3 weeks since my surgery and some of my regular pants are still uncomfortable.
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:36 PM

I am 4 1/2 weeks post op for adenomyosis , endo, fibroids , adhesions and I feel better than I ever thought I would . Good luck !
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:04 AM

I had never even heard of adenomyosis until I had my 3 week hysterectomy post op and the surgeon explained that once they got inside the couple fibroids were actually more than 4, I had adenomysosis (I was like what the heck is that!?) and a benign tumor on my ovary! I had originally just gone in because I thought I had a couple fibroids causing my nearly constant bleeding, and I was fed up and it was severly disrupting my work and personal life. I am so glad I had the procedure done, I'll be six weeks post op in 5 days and will be heading back to work full time. I wish you ladies all the luck in the world and suggest reading some of post op pages to get a feel for how you'll really be feeling during your first 6 weeks post op. I was surprised how long it took me to bounce back ( and I'm still not even 60%) I went out and got tons of my favorite frozen stouffers and my DH was great about getting lots of carryout and I made a little apartment up in our bedroom with a mini fridge, toaster and my Keurig coffee maker. I had an ice bucket and coffee cup warmer next to the bed on tv trays and my lapdesk with pens and my cells, phone book and scissors, I had coupons, notecards, filing, pictures and my DD loaned me her net book. I've been a "princess" for almost six weeks, but I'll be glad to go back out into the real world again.
HUGS!!
Unread 02-11-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanna_k View Post
So I've made the decision to do the hysterectomy (just the uterus, keeping ovaries and tubes). It's scheduled for March 27, 2012 at 8:50am.

I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis, and given the pain that I've had and the knowledge that it is not a condition that will get better with time, I know it's the best decision for me. It's just kind of shocking.. I am 36, and this was not even something I thought I would be considering at this point in my life. I know there are other "band-aid" treatments I could try.. but I know that none of them will actually make it better or cure it.

I am glad that I have about 6 weeks to absorb the whole idea and prepare mentally.. and get organized (meals in the freezer, homeschooling lessons laid out, etc). I won't know until my pre-op (March 22) if it can be done laparoscopically or if it will be abdominal, so I'm trying to be prepared should I have the longer recovery time.

I'm feeling rather lost since I don't even know what to ask...
I know how you feel, we all are here for you. Any questions that pop up, post and ask, we can answer best of our knowledge. I to was diagnosed with Adenomyosis along with the endometriosis that was found in a previous laproscopic surgery for female isues. i also had fibroids and numerous upon numerous cysts on my one remaining ovary. i had to have my left ovary removed in nov. 2010.

I know from experience, it is a very hard decision to make and then on top of it not knowing if the surgery is going to be done laproscopic or abdominal. Thats always scary. My doctor was very honest with me, he told me up front that he would not know until he went in with the laproscope to start. He said he would do everything he could to keep my surgery a LAVH but could not guarantee it.

Make sure to pack a bag with your personal belongings so you will have things you want with you. most hospitals supply toiletries and such, but i prefer to have my own tooth brush and tooth paste. most likely you will be there for atleast the normal 23 hour observation period. Def listen to the doctor when he/she says to rest and do as little as possible. take all the time you need to recover. you really only do get one chance. Another thing you might think about that I was given advice about before my LAVH is to get some panties that are a little bigger than what you normally wear because your tummy is going to be swollen and your normal panties are gonna feel pretty tight. I am 17 days post op and my bigger panties are still more comfy on my. Also the hospital does provide pads for any spotting or post op bleeding, but some hospitals have big bulky pads, you might want to get your own. I found that the stay free over nights thins with wings work really good, not big and bulky but they stay in place all night long. I did not spot to much that I needed the over night protection, but the pad did last all night while i slept. If you have any questions or pre surgery jitters, do not hesitate or be afraid to ask. we are all here for you and to help you out in your time. we will be here to see you get to the other side.

HUGS FOR YOU!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register