lupron | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-10-2012, 02:37 AM
lupron

Has anyone had an experience with this? My doc wants me to do an
injection to shrink fibroids b4 hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Re: lupron

All I can say is that Lupron was a nightmare for me. I forgot how long 1 injection lasts it's been 5 years. It was like giong thru menopause... plus 25 lbs gained and a pizza face! hot flashes, emotional wreck. It helped keep my endometriosis at bay, but I wanted to have more kids at the time, so lupron was really my only option at the time. Now that I'm done with the baby thing, we're ousting that sucker! If you end up doing lupron, take the add back therapy, it helps a little. Also remember it is different for everybody, my experience was just awful though!
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:20 PM

I've been on it for about 2 weeks. I didn't have much of a choice. I'm too anemic for surgery right now and it was needed to give my body a break and let me recover from anemia before surgery. So far a couple of hot flashes and moments of feeling emotional but that's all. It lasts 3 months and then I will have surgery so at least it is temporary. I'm a person that hates to even take an aspirin but, the Lupron is worth the trade off for me. I personally would not take it long term.

I do like that it may temporarily shrink fibroids as it may facilitate a less invasive surgery but that will remain to be seen.

When I get emotional, I just keep remembering that it's the lupron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2012, 07:21 AM

jaiwash

I'm sorry you find yourself facing surgery but am very glad you've joined and hope you'll enjoy being part of this amazing support community!

I had Lupron for 3 months before my hysterectomy ~ one shot per month. For me, it did everything it was supposed to do and shrank my enormous fibroid by two-thirds! Yes, there were the expected menopausal-type symptoms which, for me, were mainly hot flashes and aching joints. They were nothing I couldn't handle, though.

When the drug wasn't topped up with a fourth shot, the symptoms disappeared fairly quickly and I haven't experienced any long-lasting effects at all.

I was horrified, however, when researching the drug beforehand but my doctor was surprised and said she'd not had any patients experience adverse side-effects. I suppose it's the same as anything when researching on the internet or in the media ~ good news is no news!

Everyone is different, however, but I wish you the very best of results if you choose to go ahead!

Unread 02-11-2012, 07:24 PM

I'm on lupron now for fibroids and to stop my excessive bleeding. My doc first gave it to me around Thanksgiving and I just had my 3rd shot at the end of January. It wasn't too bad for me. I have hot flashes throughout the day and they last for a few minutes and I'm tired but as a single mother...i'm always tired. LOL! The worst part for me is my lack of sex drive. I hate it! But, I suppose it was kind of worth it because I stopped bleeding. I also felt more emotional with the first shot but now I'm better.
Unread 02-23-2012, 02:51 PM

I was put on Lupron in order to shrink my Fibroids and it worked great. I had no major side effects...just moody, a temper, no period(a plus)....no hot flashes at all....I was tired also....but not bad. You are only supposed to be on it for a certain length of time and for that length of time, it worked, it did shrink my fibroid a little...but not enough to do an easy surgery. So I am looking at abdominal hysterectomy. You may have an easier time and your surgery will go great!
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM

I'm doing Lupron right now up until my hysterectomy. Mine isn't to shrink any tumors, so I don't know how it works on that end, but I can tell you the side effects I've experienced are minimal. I get hot flashes, but mostly in my feet and they're mild. I did get some really severe migraines - a cave wouldn't have been dark enough for me - but my doctor put me on HRT and that solved the problem within 48 hours. Even if it just might shrink your fibroids, I would think it's worth it to try. If you find that you are having serious side effects, you can always talk to your doctor about stopping it. But I haven't had much of a problem with it.
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:16 PM

I'm about a month into the 3 month shot now and am starting to feel cruddy. The hot flashes are the least of it even though I am getting them often and at night now too. I can deal with that. The migraines, dizziness, weakeness and anxiety is a bit tough since i like to be active and activity is giving me migraines but at least it is temporary....that's what I keep telling myself. 2 more months.

But I do have lots of cramping and some little bloody chunks coming out so I think it is doing it's work on the fibroid....hopefully.

It's gonna be rough till my surgery. Can't wait to get it over with.
Unread 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM

Thanks for all the replies very helpful. Here's my next issue: my stomach is so bloated that it feels like the fibroids have grown. Anyone else experience this? I just got the injection last Thursday.
Unread 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Yes. Initially Lupron increases your estrogen and then it drops off after approx 2 weeks. So initially, I felt great emotionally but my abdomen got very very bloated and I could feel more pressure on my bladder and bowels. Now, as i am going into the menopause symptoms which indicates to me that my estrogen is dropping off, the bloated belly and pressure going away and i am having cramping and bloody discharge which is what the doc told me to expect.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register