Taking off bandages and washing incisions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Taking off bandages and washing incisions Taking off bandages and washing incisions

Unread 02-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Taking off bandages and washing incisions

Ok I posted earlier but I am just wandering did any of you have to take off your incision bandages? How did you do it? Was it hard or did it hurt? It won't get caught on stitches or anything will it?Also did it have any oozing on the bandage? How do you wash them and be safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Re: Taking off bandages and washing incisions

They took my bandage off and removed stitches before I left the hospital - just 2.5 days after surgery! ack! the nurse replaced with butterflies and then covered the whole thing up with another big bandage....now I'm terrified to to take a shower and have just sort of been "sponging". My hair is GROSS. lol. not sure what to do...
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:27 PM

I had to remove mine. It was more nerve wracking then painful...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Did you have any oozing on the bandages? Is that normal? I looked at my bandages and I see a drop of oozing on one incision,none on one,and the belly button looks like a pinkish on either side of the bandage looks like guaze and clear tape. I am so scared!!!
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:41 PM

Yes.. slightly.. I took one of my pain meds a half hour before even though I didnt need one. I figured if it did hurt the meds would help.. I know you are scared, I was petrified too.. It will be ok..
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:04 AM

Ta-da!!

Showered, CLEAN hair (yay!!) and removed big bandage (left the butterflies) and replaced with clean bandage. There was a little schmutz on the old bandage - mostly iodine stains I think - one little bit that looked like dried blood.

took a look at the incision and not happy with the scar - it looks lumpy and uneven. hoping this will settle down. I'm not terribly vain, but it's not very attractive at the moment.

stupid mons pubis is itchy with the shaved hair growing back in. urgh!

Now. how does one go about shaving their legs? hmmm.

Pam
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:07 AM

Hubby shaved my legs
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:46 AM

I wouldn't even worry about shaving the legs right now.....where are you going....lol. I don't think that you should be replacing bandages over the incisions once you take them off and shower. They need air!! You can ask your doc, but all 8 of my surgeries I was told to leave them off. Just make sure you have a nice thin pair of cotton panties on to go over them. Yes, you will see drainage stains on the bandages....that is completely normal. Make sure you wash the incisions with soap and water only!! No ointments, peroxide, or lotions on them. Take them off and shower....dab dry with towel....do not rub them!! It will be fine!
Unread 02-11-2012, 07:35 AM

oh. ok - I'll take it off I guess, but I'm wincing at just the thought of touching/cleaning it.

but really? 5 days? eek!
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:47 AM

Going to do it today as soon as hubby gets back he is going to help me take off the bandages and get that well needed shower. We will see about shaving the legs part(lol) just clean hair and shaving my undie arms(lol) will be great!!! My friend is coming over to see me today so i am so happy about that. My family has been so supportive and great. I truly feel like a princess. Ok will rest until hubby gets back and then will eat and have some coffee and take a pain med and then the bandages and shower will begin. Will check in later to post how it all goes. Hugs!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register