So....if recovery isn't all that painful... (kids mentioned) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So....if recovery isn't all that painful... (kids mentioned) So....if recovery isn't all that painful... (kids mentioned)

Unread 02-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Re: So....if recovery isn't all that painful... (kids mentioned)

I think so many of us have lived with horrible pain for so long that the pain we have after surgery is manageable. We know this pain will go away! It is a relief to have that pain we were living with gone. After surgery there is a different pain. I'm 10 days out and I have been doing OK, but I need help. The pain and being tired will wear you down. Each person is different. I had better days early on and then it seemed to get worse. I can't bend and lift, so house work is out of the question. I did make breakfast for the family this morning but my daughter did all the reaching and bending. After that I napped for 2 hours. I tried to help grocery shop tonight, but was in too much pain and felt sick so we got what we needed and headed home. But overall I do feel pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2012, 08:39 PM

The fatigue was my biggest thing. I agree it's better to have the help and not need it. I went back to work a little after 2weeks, before that, I could not imagine going to work or working around the house.
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:52 PM

here's the thing...you may not be in pain, but you need to rest and let your body HEAL. So, take the help and don't push yourself. I'm 4 weeks and I feel almost normal, except for fatigue and the random cramp. But I now my insides aren't done healing, so I'm still taking it easy. Thank God I've still got the help of a wonderful partner and kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2012, 12:08 PM

No one can predict how much pain you will be in and how much help you will need. Like others have said, it is better to be prepared and if you are better than you expect, enjoy the happy surprise.
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:18 PM

Hi-its me again, the mom of 3 kids, 2 1/2 weeks post op-
the other big thing I would tell you would be great to prepare is have some pre made frozen foods/soups in your freezer...as much as will fit! My husband has been great about adding a salad to dinner, but I had pre made some dishes and I am glad I did, as lifting pots and pans to cook is too much weight! Also, having a few new stashed craft activities for the kids helps them stay busy and not whine that mom isn't around...or when they do, there is a good distraction! its hard for little ones to get it
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM

spunkyd,

Gonecamping and Readytoheal sized up my experience. My pre-op pain was sometimes so bad it made my post-op pain seem insignificant. I did have pain and I did take meds for it, but it was well managed.

I was tired and slept a lot the first 2 weeks, but was up doing some of the cooking after about 8 days or so. You will have lifting restrictions for 4 to 8 weeks and even if you are feeling good, it is still highly recommended that you rest. Putting undue stress on your internal incisions can lead to adhesions.

Follow all your post op instructions, no matter how good you feel. Like Beth likes to say, "Bored and stir crazy beats repair surgery."
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:45 PM

SpunkyD:
You will feel well enough by week 3 to fix dinner, i did. I was making dinner by day 3 or 4. Just dont use the oven. It appears that pushing and pulling motions will get you into trouble.

The reason you hear people saying they went off of pain meds (i did) and still aren't doing much, is because the inside healing takes six weeks and its a bit tricky. You "feel" like you are healed at one or two weeks, but your body really isnt and so you have to push yourself to "not" do too much. Its a good idea to have some help for the first few weeks. DH should not have to take off week three unless you have little ones at home. There would be a problem with picking them up if you have young ones. Pushing shopping carts, exercising, and bending and stretching are not good ideas for several weeks. Trust me, i was hurting after i tried some of this. Good luck!!
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:14 PM

Hi Hyster Sisters,

I am post op 4 weeks and I am doing wonderful. I am not on any pain meds and have not had any since surgery. I thought I would need help as well because of all the stories that you hear, so I was prepared, my fiance took the week off and my girlfirend did also, but I told them I was fine and did not need any help at the time.
I think everyone heals differently. When you get home you will know if you need help. Hopefully all will go well, you will be painfree and getting around fine.

God bless and have a speedy recovery
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:17 PM

The thing with the recovery is that you won't necessarily be in horrible pain (first week felt more like I badly sprained a muscle in my lower abdomen) but that your pain level can increase exponentially if you do too much. You can't lift more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks or you can damage any internal stitching as well as the rearrangement of your insides. So picking up kids, doing a lot of bending to pick up things is a terrible idea. I took a small trip to the grocery store to pick up 10 items and needed a nap after. You will be tired a lot especially I have found after the first two weeks when the internal stitching starts to dissolve. Takes a toll on your energy.
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:21 PM

Needing the help during recovery has less to do with how you feel and more to do with the fact you can't lift anything over 10 pounds. If you have your cervix removed too then lifting anything before the 6 week mark may cause you to tear your vaginal cuff open, no matter how good you're feeling.

I've had 3 c-sections and the first 5 days were horrible. By day 15 I felt like I could do a heck of a lot more than I was supposed to. My doctor reminded me that I needed help with my children because even though I felt well, any lifting could tear my internal incisions and result in another surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register