Pre-op today and surgery Monday, 1/7 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op today and surgery Monday, 1/7 Pre-op today and surgery Monday, 1/7

Unread 01-06-2002, 04:06 PM
up comming surgery and so scared

I am scheduled for a T v h on 1-11-02 if all goes as planed . dr. said there was a posability it could change to a abdominal hyst. I have enlarged uterus and fibroids [ not sure how many] but have pressure on the bladder from size of uterus .I go thur. for the pre. stuff then in hosp. at 6:30 am on fri. find out later time of surg. have to drink magnesium citrate the nite before and nothing but clear liquids after 3 p m . ok is this t v h like a vaginal birth ? i;m not sure if I want to be put to sleep or have a spinal . Any advice would be appericated . hate that sleepy out of it feeling the rest og the day after surg. i've had 2 c- sections last one over 19 yrs, ago I thought about putting it off till spring but d d said no get it over you will be well by then.I to feel like my life is on hold known i needed this for 15 months. I 'm rattleing on to much so thanks for listening to me vent any advice is good I'm so thankful for this site it is god sent to me . thanks to all you wonderful ladies A great job your doing

GOD BLESS ALENE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Pre-op today and surgery Monday, 1/7

Somewhere there is a good thread about the pros and cons of types of anesthesias. If you are going to have a laparscopic surgery, you will probably have to be put out. Depending on where you live and how good the medical care is, general anesthesia has improved dramatically. I was terrified of it, but had my surgery nearly 4 weeks ago. The anesthesia was fine. I was out of it only for a few hours afterwards.
Unread 01-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Take a DEEP BREATH!!!!

A big to all those LIW!!! You will all be in my prayers!!!!

Most important things that I took: lounging pants (comfy and not tight on belly) to wear at the hospital as well as home from the hospital, big sweatshirts or tshirts, granny panties or maternity panties, pads from home, CHAPSTICK, warm socks, loose-fitting bra that was comfortable even in bed (didn't want to have those critters loose with company coming to visit me at the hospital)

I had a wonderful experience with my surgery!!!! I am a nurse on the OB/GYN unit so I was truly PAMPERED!!!!! I had very little pain after the surgery, especially compared to the excruciating lower back pain before surgery. I was out of bed 12 hrs after surgery, no problem. I took a book to read but I was too busy walking in the halls to read. I had surgery at noon Fri and went home Sun at 11:30 (less than 48 hrs). I FELT GREAT!!!!! I hope the same for all of you!!!

9 days post-op and still feeling good!!!!! Listen to your body, like everyone has said, it will let you know when you need a break!!!

Good luck and prayers for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2002, 09:23 PM

Shay--don't do too much just 'cuz you feel great! You know--you're a nurse!! I overdid it and am paying for it now.

The nurses had me up for a little walk about four hours after I woke up. That was wonderful because it helped the circulation in my legs.

The next day I was walking all over the halls. The doctor released me less than 48 hours after surgery, but I asked to stay an extra day before I came home to face three children. We have six, but only three are still at home, so I felt kind of wimpy for wanting to stay in the hospital.

ENJOY YOURSELVES AND LET YOURSELVES BE PAMPERED!! Had I only listened to the advice here, I would have enjoyed myself much more.
Unread 01-11-2002, 03:49 PM

Day 1 I had these wraps on my legs that blew up every couple of minutes to help with circulation in the legs. I didn't have to get out of bed until day two. I had TVH with anterior and posterior repair. It felt much the same as childbirth with a major epesiotomy. Had a button to push for pain meds - demorol. They took that at day two in the afternoon. Day 3 I was released before lunch time. Now home and relying on ibuprofen and tylox occasionally. The first BM about killed me. But I feel soooo much better now. DH has been wonderful and DS's and DD have much stayed out of my way and been in school for the most part. I have been very lucky in that regard.

I had general anestesia with no problem. I have been put under four times now with no nausia. I think that you should dispense with food by 6:00 the night before and just clear liquids until the 12:00 deadline. Just my experience talking here. When you brush your teeth the morning of the procedure, spit out everything. Do not swallow anything. This may sound a little gross, but I even spit out the saliva. Like I said, four times no problem.

Hope that helps.

Unread 01-11-2002, 04:45 PM

My doc is "conservative" only clears the whole day before surgery. But no nausea. I also had those "flotron" leg warmers that prevent blood clots. I had a TAH/BSO at 1 ib the 7th and they got me OUT OF BED by 9 PM and I walked the halls the last morning. Clickingmy PCA pump all the way mind you!!!. I'm doing just fine, but at this point every hour I am upright needs to be balanced by at least one hour in bed.
Unread 01-11-2002, 05:13 PM

I 'swear' by the "nothing much" on the day before surgery. No one but YOU all told me that, but I ate lightly, and then stopped all solids by 3 pm. My nausea was not bad at all and only lasted a few hours.

Glad that many of you are doing so well!
Unread 01-11-2002, 05:37 PM
Welcome Home!

Hello...

So glad to hear you are home and doing well. I am doing pretty good myself. I did have some nausea but it was the night after my morning surgery. I thought it was one of the meds they were giving me. I had the demerol pump and some heavy duty antibiotic. The med for the upset tummy was suppose to make me tired but had the opposite effect on me. My first night was a rough one. I wasn't in pain persay....just very uncomfortable. I was exhausted and wanted to sleep and was unable to do so.

The next day was much better! I got the cath. out and was able to potty on my own. Passing gas was no problem either. I also requested a sleeping pill that night. It made a world of difference. I slept 5 hours straight! That was the most I had slept in days.

I left the hospital on Wed. with a slight cough. Now, I have a big cough. Just what I don't need! I am trying to heal and have a cold to deal with. It REALLY hurts to cough! Other then that, I am feeling really good. Surprisingly good! I have been popping my vitamins. I am determined to kick this darn cold.

I hope all my Jan. 7th sisters are home and doing well. Please post when you can and let us know how you are doing.

!!!!!!
Unread 01-11-2002, 05:50 PM

If you bought a special tummy pillow, USE IT WHEN YOU COUGH! If not, use a small pillow to 'brace yourself' on your tummy when you cough.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register