No Success Stories? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Success Stories? No Success Stories?

Unread 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Re: No Success Stories?

My hysterectomy was life changing. Prior to it I spent 4 days/month every other month hooked up to IVs for iron infusions. I bled it out almost as fast as they poured it in!

5 months later I can say I had a relatively pain free recovery from my TLH and no complications. I finally have enough oxygen in my blood to go up and down stairs and I can once again keep up with my son and I certainly don't miss being tied to my house each month so I could keep up with my bleeding.

Emotionally it was a tough decision but the anticipation was much worse then the reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM

As a RN which works with lots of gynaecological surgical patients, I see alot of patients doing really well post-op.

I am 5 months post-op LAVH (kept ovaries) & have been back at work part-time since my 6 week check-up.

I have had a rocky ride but I have other health issues which affected my recovery. ( like allergies to sutures & medications). Still waiting for internal vaginal sutures to dissolve! I have a past history of my body not dissolving sutures.

Even with all my complications...it is better than that horrible heavy bleeding for days each month.

Best advice is to stay positive & ask for support when needed.

Unread 02-20-2012, 05:58 PM

Where do I begin? I went kicking and screaming into this whole process because I wanted to be the first woman on either side of my family who did not need a hysterectomy. After going on the pill at age 54, then off, then almost hemmorhaging twice, going back on, I decided enough was enough. The fibroids were more than I could handle. Last October I had abdominal surgery to remove the uterus and cervix.

Thirty days later I woke up and realized I didn't feel like I ever had surgery. It's wonderful! It's going to be so much better this summer, not worrying about if I'm going to get my period while I'm at the golf course. I'm going to be 58 this year and I still haven't had a hot flash or night sweat. I'm loving life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 06:15 PM

There are many success stories out there!! Like some other sisters have said, some who had a positive experience have moved on because they don't need any support for themselves anymore, so yes, stories of complications are more common, but that doesn't mean that more people have complications.

I am another success story. I have no regrets whatsoever. I have NEVER felt better!! I have more energy, I feel 10 years younger, my sex life has improved dramatically, I haven't grown any hair or gained any weight. I would do it again and again if I had to!! My hysterectomy gave me a second chance for me to live my life the way it was supposed to be lived. I no longer have to plan my entire life around my period, I don't miss work because of heavy bleeding and debilitating pain...I am finally free from it all!!! I have been able to do more since my surgery than I did in the 2 years before it!!

Don't let the bad stories discourage you. There are plenty of us who are able to live even better lives following this surgery. The recovery can sometimes be rough, but it goes quickly and then you suddenly look back and wonder where the time went and barely remember the bad things you felt while you were healing.

Keep your head up and think positive!! You will be fine. I hope you are a success story as well.

to you and sending you comforting
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:31 PM

I am a success story! I had a TVH kept ovaries though. I went back to work full time at my grooming shop last week (4 weeks post op) had my follow up dr appt. today and he has released me for full normal activity, no restrictions. I am two days away from being 5 weeks post op. After just a couple days at home I didn't need my pain meds, the important thing is to do what your post op instructions tell you. I will say that at my appointment today my dr said I was on the high end of the curve and that my recovery wasn't that typical. Every medical person I talked to said that the fact that I was healthy, didn't smoke or drink and wasn't over weight would aid me to a speedy recovery.
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inevitable View Post
I've been on this board for a few months and I get depressed each time I read. It seems that the majority never feel quite right after a hysterectomy. They are never really back to normal. Can someone point me to the direction of stories where they had more energy, they were more active, they accomplished more AFTER surgery?

I feel like when I talk to people I have to "promote" why the surgery is good for me. I don't want to lose my hair, have bone loss, have mood swings, etc. but this is all I seem to be reading. My dr. tells me I am crazy ... yet the people on the board say otherwise.

I hope I am not offending anyone because this is not my intention.

What is the balance?
I am thrilled I had the hysterectomy. I'm 7 weeks out & loving life. No more chronic pain or horrible bleeding, my acne has cleared up & now that I am sleeping, I have more energy. I have lost a few pounds but have many more to go. Started long walks last week & really feel more connected to life. My husband has enjoyed me not being so tired after work that I just go to bed with pain pills. We have gone out more the last 2 weeks than we did in the year prior to my surgery.

It's a huge decision and we thought about it for a full year. It was the right one for me.

Good luck!
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWife View Post
I know that I havent had mine yet...6 days to go, but I feel as though I will be a success story. Any life that doesn't constantly involve pain to the extent I live with now... its a better life. I can deal with anything else that may come. That is my prayer. A life without pain. I have a high tolerance for pain, but some days it gets to me. I'm crabby, and unhappy and completely depressed.
Good luck to you! A positive attidtude helps a lot
I don't feel pain free but I have such a big reduction in pain it was well worth it!
Unread 02-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Sorry I haven't replied to you. I haven't been on the site much recently if that's any indication of how I'm doing. This is an awesome site with a lot of information and support. It's nice to read about some people going through what I've been through. I particularly like the groups based upon when your surgery was.

I had a TAH also taking both ovaries (family history and initially possible cysts until they got inside and found the endo), and with endometriosis a year ago. My doctor recommended it about two months before we actually did it. I didn't find this site until a month of so before, and kind of glad I didn't. It probably would have scared me away form having it done. Many people have had good experiences. There have definitely been those who haven't.

Mine has been very positive. I am 45 with three children; ages 24, 7 & 5. I had awesome support from my husband. I am a full-time teacher and went back to work after spring break, and haven't really looked back. I've had a few issues with hormones, but opted not too take anything becauese of how they made me feel. I do take estrogen suppository inserts because I had a spot inside that needed further healing and it was affecting relations with my husband. Other than that, I love not having to worry about a period or buying "supplies"

I may have other issues as I get older, but I'll work them out as they come, hopefully.

Hope this helps even though it's been awhile since your post. I hope you are doing well with whatever decision you made. It's not for everybody. Do some research, talk to people, but listen to your body and ask lots of questions to your doctor. The best advice I got was walk afterwards as soon as you can (in the hospital) and drink lots of water, and REST as long as you need to.

Take care!
Hugs!
Tomy
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:01 PM

I agree with what others have said, and that is that somebody who has a trouble free recovery is going to be less likely to hang around on the forums after she resumes life again. The ladies who have had troubles really need our help and encouragement, though, and that is one of the purposes of this website.

I'll be 6 weeks post-op on Tuesday, and even though I still get tired from the surgery itself, I already can tell that I have more energy and am generally a much happier person than I was before surgery. I haven't written up my story yet, figured I'd wait until I was a little further down the recovery road, but I've had a very positive experience.

All of the women I know personally who have had a hysterectomy (include 2 of my 4 aunts, my mother-in-law, my son's mother-in-law, and several close friends) all told me the same thing - that I was going to feel sooooo much better. You know what? They were right! I had no clue just how BAD I was feeling until I woke up after surgery, still in recovery, still with pain from the incision and organ removal and endometriosis removal, and realized I didn't have this pressure and that pain and the really odd twitch that wouldn't be described and.... and it had only gotten better and better.

Recovery is slow - don't push it - but I have found myself wishing I could have found a way to do this *years* ago. And I have to admit to taking more than a little bit of childish glee in walking right past the feminine hygiene products and proclaiming to my DH that I'll not be getting anything off *that* particular shelf anymore.

Good luck, and we'll see you on the other side in the post-op forum at some point!
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Well today is my 6 year Hysterversary - and I feel great. I had a TAH with one ovary removed, for a couple of reasons. It was a long road to get to that point and my recovery was long because of other things that had to be done. But I went to work at a new job. Loved on my two grandsons and babysat all the time. I am sooo happy that I made the decision to have my surgery when I did and got rid of the pain and suffering that I was going through... Over ten years of trying everything and many Drs. basically telling me it was all in my head or telling me I was too old to have endo I was in my 30's when this started, or I could not have it because I had kids already.. but non would do a lap to find out what was going on. One wanted to send me to a shrink and put me on anti-depressents because she did not believe i was really in pain.. What if it was ovarian CA? The endo was everywhere and my right ovary had huge varicose veins on it larger than a mans thumb, that would swell up bigger when I got my period causing even more pain. My uterus was also covered in them. My left ovary was clean so we were able to leave it.. Yeah!!! I now use compounded hormones since my one ovary has gone into menopause.... but I do not really have bad symptoms.. for that I thank God. I guess I suffered already.. Gone is the pain - gone is the heavy bleeding - gone is the sleepless nights. So here is my success story...The reason you don't see too many is that women like me - well we move on because we are doing so well... I got a little nudge today by the HysterSister people to check it and that is why I am writing this...
Blessings,
Bev

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register