No Success Stories? - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Success Stories? No Success Stories?

Unread 03-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Re: No Success Stories?

Well, here's one more success story with respect to the surgery. Unlike many of you, I wasn't having a lot of discomfort or heavy bleeding. Had a fibroid they were watching.

But then I had some irregular bleeding and the ultrasound was suspicious. Within a few days I had a D&C, which indicated endometrial cancer, so we scheduled the hysterectomy for a couple of weeks later. In the midst of all this my mother was taken to the hospital, diagnosed with cancer metastasized to her lungs, and passed away less than 2 days before my surgery. From the ultrasound to the surgery was 20 days, 11 of which I spent mostly at my mother's side. I did not have time to make a lot of preparations beforehand.

So off I went to have surgery - da Vinci hysterectomy. I told them to give me whatever would make sure I didn't have nausea, and I guess they did. I woke up feeling pretty well, came home, and proceeded to arrange the funeral and all that goes along with that. I took no narcotics and not a whole lot of ibuprofen and/or acetominophen. Obviously did not spend two weeks lounging around the house in my pajamas. I was up walking around regularly from the very beginning.

I did try to rest when I could. I found that I didn't like being in one position for too long, whether it was sitting, standing, or lying in bed. I used one of those wedge pillow things at the advice of a friend to elevate my upper body the first few nights. She said that would help with the gas they use to inflate us. ;-) After a couple of days I could sleep on my back or my side with no problem. I've seen some women report nausea if they turned on their right side, but I didn't have any of that. (Never have been one to sleep on my stomach so I can't speak to that.)

Now I'm nine weeks out, stitches are beginning to come out, and I'm clear to do almost anything I feel like doing. I'm back to walking about 2 miles/half hour a day. I'm not one who is way better than before because I wasn't having a lot of symptoms before the surgery, but I'm pretty much back to normal. There are still things I'm careful about - I don't shove furniture around - but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Had a lot of people praying for me during all that. My husband was wonderful and my (adult) children were very supportive and helpful.

Once the cancer was diagnosed, I just wanted it gone, so I didn't have any ambivalent feelings about whether or not it was time to do it. I didn't have emotional distress about the loss of the uterus, though I wasn't too crazy about the thought of having cancer. Being over 50, we had no plans to have any more children. ;-)

I was very nervous about the idea of having surgery, but have to say that the experience was much less difficult than I had expected. My primary source of stress had to do with my mother's very quick and final illness and whether I should delay the surgery because we didn't know how long she would be there.

So best wishes to anyone considering this surgery. I hope you have a good doctor, and if you don't, that you can find another who is. I pray you will come through your treatment, whatever it is, with flying colors and be well and happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM

had a davinci hysterectomy keeping cervix and both ovaries as they were healthy. After 3 days i hit the ground running so to speak. there were ups and downs along the way but evryday just gets better ! After so much discomfort,constant bleeding, and PAIN for so long now i cant wait to get going everyday! Im four months post-op feel and am glad i didnt wait another yr to do this. If you get the blues do something just for you and dont feel guilty about it. Believe me it helps you wll get there it just might take a little more time. Remember its a big surgery and even if you are healed on the outside your still healing on the inside. you will feel more energetic time is the magic word. Remember the turtle won the race! good luck
Unread 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM

This board helped me so much! I am 1 year post op april 7th. I wish I'd done it 10 years ago. I have an occasional flash, im on vivelle dot, and my migraines are not as predictable, but otherwise i did good. Went back to work in 3 weeks , 4 would have been ideal, but I hope others have an experience like mine. Hugs hugs hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM

Success story here! I'm 5 months post op and I feel TONS better than I did before (for years before). I didn't know it but my uterus was causing severe lower back pain where it was attached, my enlarged uterus wasn't functioning right (irregular periods and heavy when they were there causing anemia). We went to Natural Bridge Caverns on Monday and I was able to go through both caves. I couldn't have done that before surgery...and even better, my back didn't hurt (and I didn't have to worry about being on my period. ) Could I have other issues later on? Sure, but this was the right decision for me, and one God has blessed me abundantly though.
Unread 03-29-2012, 03:28 PM

I am so grateful you posted this question, and all ladies kind replies! I don't have surgery until 4/18, but am facing VH with repair of rectocele/cystocele and bladder sling.

My parts have been sinking downward for a few years, but the last two weeks, my cervix and bottom of uterus have made themselves very "present". I am still working 8 hr days on my feet most of day, and I feel like I am about to give birth to my organs!

I am have read some of the posts and am worried I may end up not better, so it is good to read happy reports! It is hard to wrap my head around the restrictions and the reality of how I will feel. I have a very busy life and am looking forward to healing well and being active without my parts falling out!!
Unread 03-29-2012, 04:39 PM

I am 2 days post op, and despite the pain from the surgery, I can already notice a positive change. I had my TAH because of Adenomyosis. I also had cramping quite similar to labor pains, and then a constant dull side ache that couldn't be explained.

However, as my doctor began the surgery, the reason was very clear.. I had so much scar tissue built up in front of my uterus, that my bladder was sitting at the top of my uterus. So she had to remove that scar tissue and move my bladder back to it's proper position before continuing with the hysterectomy.

I was very nervous about this surgery.. I second-guessed myself all the way into the operating room, but I'm so thankful I followed through with it. I can breathe! Yes, I have soreness and swelling from the surgery, but I don't have the discomfort from before at all. I consider it a success!
Unread 03-31-2012, 04:41 PM

Hello <<Inevitable>>,

I am 10 days post op, a little sore on the belly and walk like a duck. Still too early to say I am a success story, but I am truly grateful I had the hysterectomy. I had really heavy bleeding and this turned out to be a blessing in disguise since I was diagnosed with Endo Cancer. I thank God everyday for the early diagnosis.

I am looking forward where I can be go-go-go again, for now I treat this time to reflect and take it s-l-o-w. It's harder than I thought though but I know I will get there.
Unread 03-31-2012, 08:37 PM

just the single blessing of no more painful periods was enough for me.i am actually gonna get to work outside and start a small garden.i havent been able to enjoy anything that would be considered strenous in about 5 years.i didnt really have anyone to talk about this with.i felt so alone cause i knew in my heart that something was NOT right.i even had one dr before my surgery tell me that women's periods get worse as they age.i never went back to his office after he said that.
nothing is normal to feel as though you need to go to the emergency room when you are starting your period.i am very grateful that i had a TAH but the recovery took alot longer than i anticipated.the recovery is a total hurry up and wait.from my experience w/ me being in good shape there was nothing but time for everything to heal.i feel it taKES about the same time for everybody to heal and heal right.
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM

Hello all! I had my LAVH in October 2010. No regrets, any bumps in the road along the way are still a trade up!
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:38 PM

Hi There! I am a total success story!

I am actually 4.5 years post-op! I can't believe it! I was 48 years old and my uterus only was removed abdominally due to very large fibroid tumors.

I kept my ovaries, which I highly recommend to anyone under 50 and possibly even older. I have still not had any menopausal symptoms 4.5 years later, so it is great to have my own hormones.

I had to fight my doc to keep those ovaries at age 48, however. Stand up for yourself after you get all the facts and make your decision.

I was living alone at the time, and so was very concerned about recovery. I put everything at waist height, cooked and froze meals, had a friend set up a TV with DVD player in my bedroom, etc. Turns out I healed well and quickly. I was able to do so much more than I anticipated based on what I read on the forums here. And this was NOT a laproscopic or vaginal hysterectomy. I had the full cut across the abdomen.

I attribute my quick recovery partly to the fact that I was in very good physical condition before hand. I eat healthy, workout, don't smoke and I am very fit. I truly believe that will help with healing from any surgery or illness.

Good luck to you and know that YES! there are success stories! guess you feel no one wants to hear about it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register