Scheduled dVH/RALH Question about uterus/cervix role in sex for women who removed both | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about uterus/cervix role in sex for women who removed both Question about uterus/cervix role in sex for women who removed both

Unread 02-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Question about uterus/cervix role in sex for women who removed both

My hysterectomy is scheduled for March 6th. This has really become my only option. I had one scheduled in December for heavy bleeding for 10 to 15 days monthly that hadn't responded to BC pills. I found this site, learned about uterine contractions during orgasm, panicked, and canceled my surgery. I met with my doctor again to discuss an ablation with a tubal ligation. A closer look at my symptoms and sono led her to believe strongly that I'm dealing with a aggressive case of adenomyosis. She strongly advises against ablation (she thinks it will make my pain and bleeding worse). Since it's gotten bad enough that the pill no longer controls my bleeding, it seems hysterectomy is my only option.

Due to 3 prior c-sections, she plans to perform a DaVinci vaginal hysterectomy and take my uterus and cervix.

My only concern is how this will affect my orgasms as I'm only 35. I don't even really understand the whole uteran contraction thing and aren't sure what kind of orgasms I have. I was hoping ladies that have lost their uterus and cervix could please describe their pre-op orgasms compared with their post-op ones so I can emotionally prepare myself.

I seem to only be able to orgasm with clitoral stimulation, but I have really deep intense orgasms that I feel through my whole body like a warm explosion. I've never really had any other type of orgasm except for the rare times my clitoris gets irritated with over stimulation and then I have a mild fizzle of an orgasm. I'm wondering if my every day full body orgasm only occurs because I have a uterus and cervix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Re: Question about uterus/cervix role in sex for women who removed both

This was a concern for me too. I was assured by both my family doctor and GYN that the uterus didn't really play a role in orgasms and I wouldn't feel much of a difference, if any. I knew my uterus was involved and so I continued to worry. I do feel a big difference and it has been difficult for me to adjust to. I had my surgery due to cervical dysplasia and adeno. I very much didn't want a hyster but like you, the birth control pills could not stop my period. And my cervix was scarred shut from LEEP procedures so that was a problem. I still have orgasms and they are still easy to achieve. But they lack the deep intensity and don't last as long. It really only makes sense that when they do major surgery down there and remove organs that it will be different afterwards. Some women say the orgasm is better post op but I wonder if part of that is the bleeding is gone, they can relax and they are no longer in constant pain. But as those were not issues for me I find I just have to do my best to adjust. I spoke to my family doctor about it post op and she seemed shocked.

Bottom line is there are no guarantees with this surgery. At some point you need to take the leap and hope for the best. It helps to be prepared for some differences and understand that you may need to make some adjustments post op.
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:54 PM

My orgasms are not as intense post-op as they were pre-op, but they are more frequent. What I miss is the muscle contraction - never really knew it was happening until I did not have a muscle to contract. Everyone is different, though, so you don't know what will happen until you are there.

(((Hugs))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2012, 11:03 PM

I am six months post op, and the sex has gotten better. Both of my ovaries were removed also, but hormones have helped. I have to say that the orgasms are not as intense, but still ok.
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:14 PM

I agree. Less intense but still ton o'fun!!! I LOVE my new body and the new fun. Its almost like learning about my body all over again. Our bodies are miraculous machines - when something is healing or changed other parts compensate. Clitoral orgasms seem more frequent, comfort during intercourse has increased (due to lack of pain), I am more sensitive to touch - I have no regrets - I love my new body :-)
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:34 AM

I had a dVh/BSO 10/20. My first orgasm post op at about three weeks was from masturbation. It was great, but mostly because I was so happy that everything still worked. Each time since in both outer and intercourse, my orgasms have just gotten better and better; I've even multipled twice! My pre op orgasms were spectacular, but these post op O's are ridiculously delicious. I have ZERO regrets in my decision to have the full meal deal hyster. Good luck to you : )
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:44 AM

Oh my Gosh,
I feel ya. I made an appointment for my Da Venci Lap vag hyst in January them went for my pre op and freaked out when the Dr. said he was taking both Uterus and Cervix and I wouldn't know I had a cervix if someone didn't tell me. hmmm
So I cancelled and read all about it. When I started talking with people (personal friends) and asking them, ALL the ladies I spoke to said they were SO much better off without. They were happier had more energy and did NOT miss those parts one bit. So I rescheduled and came to terms with the fact that just in case it's not like that for me I'll still be okay. I do however have a great attraction to my husband after 30 years so I think no matter, I'll be alright. The clencher, I caught a cold and my surgery due this Monday Feb 13th is canceled as of today. Ugh !!! More time to stress but I hope I can get rescheduled asap. I do plan to keep my ovaries so I don't know if that's a consideration for you. Best of luck to you and hang in there. Try not to read Too much or you'll go crazy. Keep me posted.
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:48 AM

Excellent point; sex is very much mental, that can't be changed surgically. Another plus, you get to find yourself again with your lover, so great.
Unread 02-12-2012, 10:21 AM

My husband and I are having more fun now than we have had for several years. Constant bleeding and pain are so unromantic.

My orgasms are different now than they were before, but still very nice. I have no complaints and no regrets.
Unread 02-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Hi Abagayle - I echo what everyone is saying. I kept my cervix but my orgasms are definitely different without my uterus. It took me some patience to orgasm again post surgery but now all is well. Although I do miss my old orgasms I believe that I just need to put a little more effort into learning what my new body needs. If I had the opportunity to do this all over again....I would do everything the same (including getting three opinions, and not proceeding with surgery until I felt sure about the decision AND the surgeon). The ability to have spontaneous sex with my husband (no calendar or bleeding involved!) is priceless, and so is my new life free of anemia, exhaustion, fainting, heavy nonstop bleeding, etc!

Wishing you the very best with your decision. Good for you for asking questions and wanting to be sure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register