Scheduled TVH Husbands can be so clueless - also a question about pre-op appt. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Husbands can be so clueless - also a question about pre-op appt. Husbands can be so clueless - also a question about pre-op appt.

Unread 02-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Re: Husbands can be so clueless - also a question about pre-op appt.

My DH has been to every single appointment I've had since my cancer diagnosis. He sometimes asks questions spontaneously, but I am so over prepared when I go to appointments I have everything written down, I research way too much and I am usually over informed lol. He was really scared due to the cancer diagnosis so he was pretty quiet and juts held my hand more than anything at appointments.

I let my DH go back to work one week post op, but he was more than willing to stay off as long as I needed. I wanted to give him a break from me, poor guy slept in a chair for 4 nights in my hospital room with me after my hyst, we were two hours away from home and booked a hotel but he didn't want to leave me aww!

Ahh well! Some guys just seem to handle serious things differently, we just have to love them for their quirks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2012, 06:06 PM

I agree Melanie. My husband is in construction and admitted he really doesn't understand all that goes on in the female body. Ive been pleased with his willing to learn but I'm afraid of the 4-6 week recovery. Yeah he plans on being home with me the whole time. I'm a girl who needs her alone time.
Unread 02-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Serena, you will have to get your alone time by going for an afternoon nap!
Gradually show hubby that you will not overdo things while he is at work - and make sure that you keep your promise!

Rest: read or do puzzle books, don't do heavy lifting.
Leave heavier jobs for him, like lugging the washing baskets around. You direct operations, and supervise only. You are allowed to press the start button.

He sounds very supportive, so make the most of it.
Encourage him to go back to work, when you have learned what your limits are.
If you have a good relationship, it is probably OK to make a joke about it and send him back to work cos you need some lone time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2012, 09:18 PM

My doctor asked that I be sure to bring my husband for the pre op appointment (tomorrow 2/13). I suppose he wants to be certain my husband understands what will be done and my recovery.
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:09 PM

He is supportive but here comes the clueless part...now he wanted to know if I could fly, he thought it would be nice to head down to the Florida Keys so I could relax. The last thing I will want to do is go away and not be able to do anything....grrr men
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serena1592 View Post
He is supportive but here comes the clueless part...now he wanted to know if I could fly, he thought it would be nice to head down to the Florida Keys so I could relax. The last thing I will want to do is go away and not be able to do anything....grrr men
LOL! They are funny. Tell him to take you to the Keys AFTER your recovery. My best to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register