Scheduled dVH/RALH Was anyone's vagina too short after losing their cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Was anyone's vagina too short after losing their cervix? Was anyone's vagina too short after losing their cervix?

Unread 02-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Was anyone's vagina too short after losing their cervix?

I of course asked my doctor this question and she acted like it had never been an issue with any of her patients and like she'd never even heard the question before. I'm a petite woman, thankfully so is my husband, but I feel my vagina is already shorter than average and am concerned that after losing my cervix it may be too short to have sex normally. I read a lot about this from the medical descriptions that say this surgery shortens it just by mere millimeters that will not be missed to the extreme stories of women online who can no longer have sex because their vaginal cuff gets hit and it's painful.

I want to hear from real ladies who've lost their cervix regarding whether or not you felt your vagina had shortened any and what your husband's thought sex felt like to him now post op.

Thank you. I'm so thankful I have a place to ask blunt, personal questions like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Re: Was anyone's vagina too short after losing their cervix?

Ask away! I had my uterus and cervix removed. My DH says he notices absolutely no difference in how sex feels for him. I notice no difference in the length of my vagina and DH doesn't seem to be hitting my vaginal cuff during sex (if he does, it isn't sore at all). I was curious last week and wondered what the cuff felt like. But my middle finger was not long enough to reach it. Hope this helps!
Unread 02-12-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post
Ask away! I had my uterus and cervix removed. My DH says he notices absolutely no difference in how sex feels for him. I notice no difference in the length of my vagina and DH doesn't seem to be hitting my vaginal cuff during sex. I was curious last week and wondered what the cuff felt like. But my middle finger was not long enough to reach it. Hope this helps!
Was your middle finger able to reach your cervix before the surgery? That's what concerns me is that I can feel my cervix with my finger already.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2012, 03:58 PM

No I couldn't reach it before either. But I don't think there's much difference in the length. Come to think of it, DH used to bump my cervix during sex (which was sore) so he must be bumping the vaginal cuff. But I can't feel it at all. I think the vaginas length is only drastically different when you have a radical hysterectomy due to cancer, then the take part of the vagina as well. I really don't think you need to worry too much. Remember the vagina is very elastic and lengthens and is more pliable when aroused. Sex is better for me without the cervix. Which surprises me because I thought for sure I would be sore where they sewed the vagina shut.
Unread 02-12-2012, 04:16 PM

Most women can feel their cervix, especially when they are not ovulating. During ovulation, the cervix changes position (higher in vagina) and becomes softer and more open and is more difficult to reach.

I know when I am nearing my period, my cervix seems really low and easily bumped during sex (uncomfortable). I don't think being able to feel one's cervix is an indication of the vagina being too short.

My main concern is adequate healing of the vaginal cuff. Once my healing period is over and I am released for sexual activity, I plan to do some "exploring" in there of my own . I want to know if anything feels weird before being with DH. I think it will help me feel more relaxed with him for our first time post-op.
Unread 02-12-2012, 06:05 PM

I am a few weeks away from being cleared for intercourse. I am terrified that sex will be different and my husband will rip my cuff. I asked my doctor if mine had to be shortened and she said that it's normally only done if cancer is present and even then it is not by much. I hope that is true.
Unread 02-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Every woman is different, and height has nothing to do with the length of your vagina. My best friend can easily feel her cervix and she is 5 ft 10. Her husband is smallish and so it is fine. I however am under 5ft 4, yet my cervix is about 5 inches beyond the vaginal opening. I cannot reach it, and my doc says it is not abnormal, just on the long side. Hubby is well endowed and has always bumped my cervix, which I have always enjoyed! So I kept my cervix.
What you should take away from this, is that everyone is different, and if you are like most women and could do without that cervical bounce, then you will probaby be happy with the outcome!

Best wishes.
Unread 02-12-2012, 07:48 PM

I'm glad this question was asked, as I've been wondering the same thing. I see my doc for my pre op tomorrow. I'll ask him the same question.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register