removal of cervix - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

removal of cervix removal of cervix

Unread 01-03-2002, 08:44 PM
cervix

Hi Junebug. I have decided to have mine out. Even though I'm young(32) and have never had an abnormal pap. I discussed this at length with my doctor and he showed me exactly what the cervix supports, nothing. I have easy O's and am not concerned about losing them. I'll do whatever it takes to continue having great ones, even if they diminish after surgery. Come hell or high water, them babies are staying.. I do think it's a personal choice! It just seems having it out is right for me. No risk of cervical cancer in the future.... God bless and good luck with your decision.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2002, 02:31 AM
removal of cervix

I'm having mine out. A part of me would like to keep it, because it's healthy right now, but it really is a cancer risk for me. My mother had cervical cancer when she was pregnant with me, and I was born by C-section a month early so she could be rushed into surgery for a hysterectomy (she kept her ovaries till I was 17, when she had them removed because of cysts the size of a grapefruit that doctors had been misdiagnosing as kidney problems for years). Then when I was 23, I had normal paps but my dr. thought my cervix looked bad, so he did a biopsy and it came back "pre-cancerous". He did cryotherapy, and told me to have paps every 6 months from then on. I've lived in fear of cervical cancer since, so I figure I might as well have the thing taken out.

But a part of me would like to keep it anyway. Blah.
Unread 01-05-2002, 03:46 AM
removal of cervix

Hey Junebug:

We not only share the same surgery date (Jan 24) but we appear to share some of the same misgivings about what's to come.

My doctor seems pretty bent on my cervix going too so I've been doing a lot of research on this topic as well. Just as with everything else there seems to be a lot of controversy on this topic.

One question that might help you decide is: are you at risk for cervical cancer?

One place you might find answers is: the forums at www.obyn.net.

A book that's been helping me a lot is "Woman's Guide to Hysterectomy" by Adelaide Haas -- it's from 1995 but it has a lot of great info including what to expect when you go in for surgery. She's got an updated book coming out this month but sadly I don't think it'll be out in time to help us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2002, 05:20 PM
I had mine removed

Hi,
I had an elongated cervix. (longer than normal) Relations between me and hubby pretty much didn't exist very often. One of my tumors was close to the cervix, so it made relations painful.
I talked to the Doc about what the cervix supports. The only thing it lends support to is the vagina. Since I have never had children my walls are still strong. I also figured maybe it would give hubby more room without it in there. Good Luck in whatever you decide.
God Bless,
Sue
Unread 01-06-2002, 05:25 PM
removal of cervix

Well, I have had big babies, and my cervix was coming out as I mentioned previously. My dh is looking forward to relations without fighting my cervix.
Unread 01-06-2002, 06:46 PM
removal of cervix

I wanted my *whole* uterus gone, including the cervix. The cervix is not a separate organ, just the neck of the uterus. My doctor was happy to go either way, so I said *out*. Unless there is some good health (cancer?) or technical (TVH?) reason why you must have your cervix removed, you should be allowed to keep it if you wish. If you *really* want to keep it, and are currently scheduled for a TVH or LAVH, where it would have to go, you could ask to switch to a TAH, where you could keep it.

I had lots of good reasons I wanted mine gone, and I imagine you've got lots of good reasons you want to keep yours. You should get what you want.
Unread 01-11-2002, 04:14 PM
my two cents, too

Just a quick note to let you know that I had my cervix removed due to cervical cancer. No problems in the sex department or with my husband. As a matter of fact, the orgasms are better than ever! Don't know why they would be, but are. In any event, it's your body and I think you should do whatever you want, but I just wanted to let you know that my not having a cervix has not changed a thing for me - except for the better.
Unread 01-16-2002, 07:37 AM
removal of cervix

Hi ladies.....my surgery was Sept.'00 and I requested an abdominal supracervical from my doctor. I was not at risk for cervical cancer. I am very happy with my decision. Careful research gave me some control over what was going to happen to me and that affected me and my recovery. Ladies, take control over your surgery....it is your body!
Peace!!!
Unread 01-16-2002, 02:20 PM
removal of cervix

Hello Ladies,
Glad to hear from all you sisters who are scheduled for surgery on Jan 24! I had a very good conversation with my doctor and decided on keeping the cervix. He asked why I wanted to keep it and I explained my reasons. He said he had not done many where the cervix was kept, but if that was what I wanted and since it posed no risk to my safety, that's what we would do. I felt much better after talking to him about it. Thanks to all of you for your support. I'm sure I'll be visiting here alot in the coming weeks. I find myself going from being terrified to just wanting to get it over with (that whole range of emotions). Take care ladies!
JuneBug
Unread 01-16-2002, 07:52 PM
removal of cervix

I had the keeping the cervix talk with my Dr too. He was going to take it out but since I wanted him to leave it he said fine( I'm back to thinking he might as well take it) He said that in his experience when you leave the cervix it can eventually start to drop down and come out and it can get to the point that it has to be removed anyway. Has anyone ever heard of this???
Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register