TAH are these adhesions and (in this case) is it normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

are these adhesions and (in this case) is it normal? are these adhesions and (in this case) is it normal?

Unread 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM
are these adhesions and (in this case) is it normal?

My gyn surgeon is a funny lady. Prior to surgery she mentioned that the swelling above the incision would be extreme at first, and she said it would look like a 'banana'. She did a bikini-line incision that is around 7-8" wide and was secured with 18 staples for the first week. I am overweight so was not surprised by the swelly belly ... though mine was more of a watermelon than a banana!

During the first couple of weeks after surgery, I was surprised to see that below the incision, my pubic area was totally non-swollen, as if underlyng fat had shrunk somehow. All of the swelling was distinctly above the incision.

Since around week 5, when the swelly belly started to subside, I've been having sudden sharp pains near the incision. They were scary at first, but didn't last long. They reminded me of that feeling when you pull off a bandaid, but were deep below the skin surface.

Now I notice that as the swelling reduces above the incision, the area at and below the incision is not as snug as it used to be... it looks like everything is returning to a normal-for-me chubby belly.

It wasn't till I felt those twinges again today that it occurred to me they might be caused by mild adhesions in the incision area. If some layers under the incision are healing naturally, is this whole thing normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Re: are these adhesions and (in this case) is it normal?

I think feeling sharp pains is normal. My surgery was 7 months ago and i still feel those every now and then. I told my dr. She said it's part of the healing process and the organs moving and adjusting.. just keep an eye on your incision and clean it very well about twice a day to make sure nothing gets infected... and in a couple of weeks at least the external part will be healed and the inside will take longer.. just be patient, move slowly and don't lift anything heavy for now.. hope you feel better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register