Scheduled TAH should i have ovaries removed? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

should i have ovaries removed? should i have ovaries removed?

Unread 02-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Re: should i have ovaries removed?

I am 41 and I am keeping my ovaries and my cervix! I have very heavy painful periods and painful ovulation. I have fibroids and suspected adenomyosis. My doctor said he wouldn't even think of removing my ovaries unless there was a suspicion of malignancy or something crazy turns up during surgery. Your ovaries provide not only very important hormones but keep other organs and systems functioning properly. Have you talked to your doctor about genetic testing for ovarian cancer? If you have the genetic testing and it turns out you are genetically predisposed to ovarian ca that might be easier way for you to make your decision. I would keep all the parts you can but only you can make that decision. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM

I'm with Pattypat. I am 52 and kept one ovary. Your doctor is the best one to ask but my understanding is that the ovarian cancer link is only high risk if in your immediate family (i.e., mother, sister, maternal grandmother). Also, anyone I've spoken to on HRT has not said good things about it. And that will also put you at a higher risk for cancer, heart attack and stroke, especially given how many years you will be on them.
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM

I'd suggest if possible to go a familiarial centre for some counselling if you can access one...usually large women's hospitals have them. They can look at your family history and give you advise if you can do the watch and wait program which entails a Trans vaginal ultrasound each year and the CA125 blood test, they aren't guaranteed but at the moment I believe it's all that's available for high risk families. Did your cousin have genetic testing do you know? Big decisions and I feel for you...I'm 49 and I've had mine removed due to strong family history of ovarian cancer and my own diagnosis of Breast Cancer 10 years ago...I haven't had any of the symptons you have to live with...but I'd definately be seeking expert advice on the removal of ovaries at only 28...at least I had 10 years to think about this and a oncologist, counsellor and menopause counsellor...best of luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2012, 09:42 AM

I had mine taken out yesterday with tbh and so far so good.
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlac59 View Post
I'm with Pattypat. I am 52 and kept one ovary. Your doctor is the best one to ask but my understanding is that the ovarian cancer link is only high risk if in your immediate family (i.e., mother, sister, maternal grandmother). Also, anyone I've spoken to on HRT has not said good things about it. And that will also put you at a higher risk for cancer, heart attack and stroke, especially given how many years you will be on them.
Not having ovaries puts you at higher risk for heart attack and stroke (plus some others). Some (Prempro) HRT may slightly increase your risk for breast cancer if you you're using it incorrectly but it also protects you from some cancers.
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:25 PM
should i have ovaries removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom2121 View Post
Thank you all so much for the posts!!should family history of ovarian cancer b a concern at my age? I don't hv cancer or anything pointing to it but have had family members with it! Sorry about all the questions just weighting all possibilities and options before I can make a decision!
There are never too many questions, keep asking! The right decision is the one you make with information gathered from as many sources as possible. I am 46 and had mine removed. Why? I did not want to risk cancer or another surgery to remove them. I also believe that the female reproductive system works best as a system. With the removal of my uterus(cervix too), I felt my ovaries would soon fail as well. I had already begun having menopausal symptoms. My belief also is that between my DR and myself, that we could (and have) tweak my HRT to get optimal results. I feel so fantastically great now. I did not realize how awful I felt before. No decision you make will be wrong with the prep work you are doing now. Just as the ladies who kept theirs think they made the right choice, we who opted for their removal feel the same. Good luck and smooth recovery to you.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharona19 View Post
There are never too many questions, keep asking! The right decision is the one you make with information gathered from as many sources as possible. I am 46 and had mine removed. Why? I did not want to risk cancer or another surgery to remove them. I also believe that the female reproductive system works best as a system. With the removal of my uterus(cervix too), I felt my ovaries would soon fail as well. I had already begun having menopausal symptoms. My belief also is that between my DR and myself, that we could (and have) tweak my HRT to get optimal results. I feel so fantastically great now. I did not realize how awful I felt before. No decision you make will be wrong with the prep work you are doing now. Just as the ladies who kept theirs think they made the right choice, we who opted for their removal feel the same. Good luck and smooth recovery to you.
Sharona19 well put...the best decision we can make is an informed decision and remember you are the one who has to deal with the decision...must be our names (Sharon) x
No matter what you research you can find two sides to every argument/issue, it's finding all the facts and doing what's right for you that counts...all the best with whatever you do
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:00 PM

I kept both of my ovaries, they are functioning well now:} Mine were in shock for quite a while but working and my Dr. said if they are healthy..no reason to take them, I am 51 and no menopause. I'm very happy with the surgery, glad i'm into 3 months past now... If there is ovarian cancer in the family and other risks, do get another opinion.
Unread 02-24-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom2121 View Post
Hi! I am curious on if I should leave my ovaries or have them removed? My dr is wonderful and has left the decision up to me but I am only 28! Ive had 2 children and tubes tied! Last year I had an ablation due to heavy horrible bleeding every 2 weeks and terrible cramps and lower back pain! The past several months I've had severe cramping again but no bleeding! I recently had a lap. Just to look around there was no endo. But adenomyosis is suspected. My hysterectomy is scheduled for this Friday and dr says removing ovaries can help with my bloating and horrible migraines along wth my topomax.....has removal of ovaries helped anyone else with these issues? Any info would b much appreciated! Also is it possible if I leave ovaries to develop endo or adenomyosis on them? I don't want to go through another surgery if its avoidable!!
thank u so much in advance!!
Hi, I had my LSH due to Adenomyosis in July 2010 and I am now going to have to have my right and possibly my left ovary out because I have developed an Endometrioma in my right ovary. I went to the Dr that my GYN refered me to (a Dr who does sonos for all the GYN in the group) and she saw on the sono that my ovary is 13 cm and in her words "looks really weird". She said it doesn't look like cancer and that she could see blood in it and marbled all through it.

It has been SO painful, I could only compare it to labor pains. Here is what has been happening since last July. I have been having severe pain in lower right abdomen monthly that follows the same pattern.

Day 1 - It starts with a pain like a bad catch in your side that is really bad but not totally unbearable.

Day 2 - The pain is severe and nearly constant to the point where I can’t sit still or get comfortable. It keeps hurting so much I felt several times like I might have to go to the hospital if it gets any worse. I started thinking maybe it was appendicitis or something. (Ibuprofen took the edge off a little after I lay down)

**This time 2/23/12 it was much worse than last time. The pain was so bad I slept maybe an hour and then twisted in pain all night and finally got out of bed at 5am. Ibuprofen didn’t help much.

Day 3 It is still very sore in the same area.

Day 4 – 7 It gradually gets less sore day by day until it finally goes away

I keep thinking maybe I should have just removed my ovaries with my uterus. I am torn however because a part of me wants to keep my left ovary (If there is noting going on with it).

So at 28 I think I would leave it. At 44 I am really struggling about keeping the left one or not. I see the Dr who did my LSH today.
Unread 02-24-2012, 08:07 AM

I agree to leave them if u can. I am 30 and had everything taken due to stage 4 endometriosis. My ovaries were covered in adhesians and could not be saved. Luckily so far I am almost 4 weeks post op and have had mild hot flashes only. I will be starting HRT in a month or so. The body needs estrogen. Just hope my endometriosis doesn't come back! Good luck with your surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register