Scheduled TAH should i have ovaries removed? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

should i have ovaries removed? should i have ovaries removed?

Unread 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Re: should i have ovaries removed?

Hi there, hope this helps I had a full hysterectomy when I was 28. I was not able to keep either of my ovaries due to torsions at 18, and then my left at 28 due to cysts. It been almost 5 years now since the surgery, and it was very difficult for me to find a HRT that worked well for me. Once I did it seems to me I might need to change it again. Its a struggle for me. If I had the choice u do I would keep my ovaries. If u want more detail or would like to talk just message me. Best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM

My doc left my ovary (I had one removed 10 years ago due to a dermoid cyst) but he took my fallopian tubes. He said they were swollen and that newest studies show they are where the aggressive form of ovarian cancer begins?
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:41 PM

This is a very personal decision and one that should definitely not be taken lightly. It's great that you are doing your research and asking others of their experiences, but it is SO important that you discuss this with your doctor in detail.

You are very young and estrogen is a very important part of your overall health. That being said, there are those of us who lost our ovaries and didn't have a choice that do just fine on HRT. I have been on Premarin since the night of my surgery. It did take some time to get the dosage right and let me tell you, surgical menopause is NOT FUN!! Once my doctor figured out what dosage was best for me, it has been smooth sailing. I of course have to take calcium and vitamin D supplements (which most women need anyway) and a baby aspirin everyday. This regimen helps lower the risk of osteoporosis and heart attack and stroke. For me, it works well. That does not mean that it will for you.

If your ovaries are healthy and you do not have a history of ovarian cancer, I would definitely leave them. I understand the fear of future surgeries and that is completely understandable. You really have to look at the long term picture. Are you putting yourself at more risk for health issues by keeping them or by having them removed. Please talk to your doctor about this. Make the decision that is best for your and your situation. There really is no right or wrong answer because everyone is different.

to you in this difficult decision. Sending you big
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2012, 04:23 AM

Traci, very good sound advice...all the best with your decision...when is your surgery?
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:17 AM
should i have ovaries removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneof3 View Post
Traci, very good sound advice...all the best with your decision...when is your surgery?
My surgery was almost a year ago 5/11/11...coming up on my 1 year hysterversary!!!
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:30 AM

That's exciting for you I've a long way to go before I'm at the 1 year mark but that's ok...
Unread 03-30-2012, 01:51 PM

As far as I know, there has been no history of cancer in my family. My Dad was adopted, so don't know about his side. My surgeon has preferred to leave ovaries for the past 16 years, so I still have mine. He did warn me that if he had gone in there, and they looked bad, he would have removed them. I still have mine, and I noticed pms symptoms after my hysterectomy. I trust my doctor, and feel great 4 1/2 weeks post op.
Unread 03-30-2012, 02:34 PM

I was very close to where you are just a few weeks ago. When my surgeon told me that he thought a hysterectomy would be the way to go, and that we would hammer out the details the following week after an ultrasound, I was CERTAIN that he was going to take both my ovaries. I am only 31, have a history of depression and anxiety, and was so scared about what would happen to my emotions if I went into a surgical menopause... but none of that seemed to matter compared to the pain I was in. Well, when I saw him again the following week, he told me that he would like to take my left ovary, but leave the right. In fact he said, I refuse to take both ovaries on someone at such a young age, unless it is life or death. He promised me that I would wake up from surgery with one ovary, no matter the circumstance.

HIS passion for not allowing me to go into a surgical menopause reassured me that A) he really was looking out for my best interest... and B) if I disagreed with him and found a surgeon who would take both, I better have a dang good reason for it.

My advice, find a doctor you trust, and really listen to what he says. If I had my way, I would be sitting here now with no ovaries feeling.... well I don't know how I would be feeling. Leaving one ovary, and taking what he did, has still taken my pain that I was experiencing all the time, away. As most of the other women have said, once they are gone, you don't get those little guys back. Synthetic hormones are costly, and often take numerous doctors visits to hammer out.

Do your research, and go in educated. Much luck to you in this decision making process.
Unread 04-01-2012, 04:48 PM

I left one ovary intact so I could put off menopause after a hysterectomy 12 weeks ago. The ovary has since "stopped" working and I am going through surgical menopause anyway., i.e night sweats, hot flashes... I am now trying hormone replacement therapy. Good luck!
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom2121 View Post
Hi! I am curious on if I should leave my ovaries or have them removed? My dr is wonderful and has left the decision up to me but I am only 28! Ive had 2 children and tubes tied! Last year I had an ablation due to heavy horrible bleeding every 2 weeks and terrible cramps and lower back pain! The past several months I've had severe cramping again but no bleeding! I recently had a lap. Just to look around there was no endo. But adenomyosis is suspected. My hysterectomy is scheduled for this Friday and dr says removing ovaries can help with my bloating and horrible migraines along wth my topomax.....has removal of ovaries helped anyone else with these issues? Any info would b much appreciated! Also is it possible if I leave ovaries to develop endo or adenomyosis on them? I don't want to go through another surgery if its avoidable!!
thank u so much in advance!!
Hi there,
I am coming up on 9 wks post op from a TAH-BSO and for me it was the best decision I ever made. I too suffered from migraines and bloating. Trying so many different meds added weight to my 5'4" frame. I am the biggest I have ever been from all meds I have been on. Since my surgery I am down about 20lbs. Turns out my pathology showed no endo/adeno but my ovaries looked like honeycombs full of cysts full of fluid. I have had several cysts rupture over the last two years and compared to my labours with my kids... holy crap, the pain was right up there.

If the doctor is leaving the decision up to you then really it is personal preference on your side. Personally I am 34 and now in menopause but pre surgery I was early onset menopausal. I am on Estrace 1mg and doing quite well now... still get tired easily but the doc says that is totally normal and can last 6mths to 1 year. Again, consider all factors and make the best decision for your life. Good luck and I will be thinking of you on Friday!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register