TAH vertical cut...planning help. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH vertical cut...planning help. TAH vertical cut...planning help.

Unread 02-13-2012, 07:06 AM
TAH vertical cut...planning help.

So as I lay in bed last night, that's when all the scary thoughts come, I am having the TAH verticle cut Friday 17th..I am wondering, tried to post on post op but I wasnt allowed bc of my surgery date, how long until I can wear my jeans? I mean its a pretty big cut. I am so scared...I tried to look for posts on people that have had those but couldn't find too many...help...any info on that type of cut or the original vanity question r greatly welcomed. I have diagnosed via ovary biopsy with ovarian ca...no staging can be done yet until they come out. Plan is to take everything out....and Dr needs to look around in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Re: TAH vertical cut...planning help.

Sorry that you have to go thru this. My friend had this done and we have talked a lot since I got the news I had to have mine. She saidbit was a while and that some pants still bother her now years later and that she needs to find the right fit and all is ok. Best of luck to you!
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:53 AM

I had a horizontal cut, so can't speak to the vertical, but suspect it will be a while.

I couldn't wear my jeans for almost 5 weeks, and then only the looser fitting ones. I have a fairly tight pair I haven't even tried yet and I'm now at 13 weeks. My incision site is still tender at times and just thinking about those jeans makes me uncomfortable.

A few women have posted that they got some maternity pants because of persistent swelly belly but wanted something nicer to wear than their sweats or yoga pants. Second hand stores are good for those - they rarely get worn out and are reasonably price for short term needs.

Everyone is different and you are just going to have to feel your way around this one. With luck, you will be back into your jeans in no time.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2012, 11:27 AM

I know I feel so vain even thinking about it...I should really be thankful to be alive after all this is over....I guess its easier to think of such easier shallower things than death.
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:05 PM

I'm a plus size girl so I wondered if I would have to get the Vertical cut. I was thinking of yoga pants that have the fold down top can easily be flipped up so there is not alot of pressure. my lower abdomin is so swollen already with all the female problems I have going on so when I read maternity pants instead of yoga pants I was like "Heyyyyy Great Idea" Best of luck to you my surgery is on the 27th... I'm anxiously waiting.
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Vertical cut lady here!

Had to have that because of suspect cancer (benign thankfully) and had a pelvic wash and the surgeon wanted to have a good look around. Lost all my girly bits from the cervix upward (included). So - basically the same as you.

As you realise, this is major surgery. Don't want to scare you because there's a good side to manual surgery like this - but it is a bit rough for a start.
Forget the jeans for a good while and buy yourself some loose fitting, pull-up pants in a larger size, including panties. Or tunic tops and loose fitting leggings. Nothing with a zip that will sit over your incision!
The good thing about the surgery we have had or will have is the thorough look inside, and the nice tight sewing job you will have. Better than what the robot can do!
I had no complications, not even any bleeding or spotting past day 1. That was a bonus - hope you have that luck too!
My incision healed right up too without problems - I had dissolving stitches.
OK - there's an ugly big scar and mine is till red at nearly 6 months. It will fade eventually.

I feel terrific now - the scar is the only reminder. The main thing is our life, our health and well-being, not the scar so don't fret too much.
You will be fine. Don't forget to post on the post-op. forum afterwards if you want any support!
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM

I had a horizontal cut with my TAH and then a verticle cut in December when they took my remaining ovary. I was able to wear jeans after a few weeks, and now wear them with out any discomfort.
I have had a couple friends have this surgery recently and here is what i suggested to them....that i either had or wished i had with my first surgery.
1. Buy a pair of PJ pants that are 2-3 sizes too big. Maybe a couple pair. My sister bought me a pair, me and my partner could fit in at the same time, I was offended.....I wore those pants daily for the first couple of weeks!
2. Underware that is a size or two bigger or boxer shorts. I would suggest low rise since you are getting a vertical cut.
3. A snuggie. Yes a snuggie. When you are laying in bed or on the couch watching TV you don’t want your arm to get cold when you use the remote to change the channel. Seriously this was one of the best things I had. Again, thanks to my sister.
4. A small note book to keep track of what time to take pain meds. Stay on top of those. You want to keep the pain in control and not have to take away the pain. I hope that make sense.
5. Stool softners, not laxatives. And don’t be surprised if you have “phantom poops.” you think you have to go or did and yep! nothing there
6. A grabber. It will hurt to move for a few days. This comes in handy to grab the remote or a bottle of water or any small light thing. My cats and dog didn’t appreciate me attempting to pet them with the grabber so if you have pets, refrain from that
7. Access to your computer to come to this website. I didn’t know anyone that had a hysterectomy at the time I did. Infact it was odd to see people my age walking around the nurses station with their mothers who had the surgery. My case was my mom walking me around.
8. MOST IMPORTANTLY....you only have one chance to heal right.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope all goes well for you.
Unread 02-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Omg u all have been so much help...I already bought flannel jammy pants 2 sizes too big BUT they have drawstrings so I may be able to wear them later. I also bought gramma panties...lol...instead of the usual thong. I even bought some kotex which I haven't bought in about 30 years bc I wear tampons....my period is still regular and due any day now, so I will have to ceremoniously say farewell to that. Kinda nervous about my floor plan though bc I have stairs for almost everything but the bathroom...also nervous bc all narcotics make me sick even with medications that prevent nausea...that will be a tough hurdle. Had shoulder surg in June and found out all I could tolerate was advil...sucked....But again thanks to all for the help...I am thankful for what I am hoping is great health afterword. Hugs and kisses.
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:32 PM

I am a plus size sister who had a TAH with a vertical incision... for the first couple of weeks i had pj pants they were the best lol and i even had drawstring ones and they were ok, my incison was large but i had stitches and staples none were dissovlable (?) lol they were removed 7 days post op, healed quite well, have red scare, rubbing it once it was sealed with some oil has helped a lot

but saw22 said it all - but i would add a pillow for the tummy, gives added heat which i liked and prevent any pets from jumping on them also serves as a table for the keyboard or plates lol

they do get a complete look around inside, which in my case was a must i was filled with scar tissue/adhesions so it enabled them to get it all but i also did not have any bleeding from day one

12 weeks now i am wearing zipper pants and have from week 6 but there have been days adnd they are not jeans lol

good luck on your surgery and we will see you on the other side, keep us all posted and feel free to vent we all did

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register