My surgery is 1/11 and terrified... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My surgery is 1/11 and terrified... My surgery is 1/11 and terrified...

Unread 01-03-2002, 01:51 PM
My surgery is 1/11 and terrified...

Hi I have pre-op on 1/7 and also have to give a pint of my own blood(how is that anyway will I get dizzy? I tend to get anemic now and than but I was a13 right before Xmas) and that is scary enough, but I had to call Dr. last night brcause so petrified and had to up anxiexty Meds as I get panic attacks (Til right before surgery).

My surgery is 1/11 and I am relieved and terrified all at once and, 1. I am afraid won't wake -up
2. When I wake -up terrified of pain, the last morphine pump I use for pain not only didn't rlly help much I proceeded to lose my dinner repeatedly !!!

I am resigned to the fact that when it involves surgery I am a 43rd year old CHICKEN ( which I guess is better than being an old HEN LOL!) .

Some words of wisdom Ladies and thanks for the support!
Parisflygirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2002, 02:02 PM

Hi there. Glad you found us! It's perfectly normal to be terrified. I know I was - I ran the whole list of emotions, from denial, to being really ticked off (I remember one time sitting at a concert where my daughter was performing and looking at envy at all the other women, wondering why THEY didn't have this problem LOL! As if I could possibly know who did and didn't!). I, too, was very anemic and am so glad I had this surgery! What a relief to be free from the awful, awful bleeding! I was 40 when I had my surgery (this past summer) and I, too, worried about waking up. Have you thought of asking about a spinal or an epidural? I did, thanks to the wonderful ladies on this board. My doctor readily agreed to the spinal (which I had had when one of my children was born) and it worked out great for me! I had no sickness or anything afterwards and felt very relieved that I wouldn't be going "under" (which I very much fear!). I did have something to relax me and make me drift off and on, but I was awake enough that I felt "in control" and that's the key for me LOL. So that's something to consider as well. Hope this helps
Unread 01-03-2002, 02:03 PM

s parisflygirl!

You are doing great! Your worries are very normal and you are probably feeling like you have no control, but you do. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. S/he can discuss your anesthesia and pain control and put you at ease. I do not know what kind of surgery you are having, but it sounds like you are having a general anesthesia? If so, is a spinal or epidural an option for you? You could have the option of not being put completely 'out' with those. Not all surgeries will require the use of a morphine pump - mine didn't. If so, there are anti-nausea meds that can help. I had a super anti inflammatory (Toredol), Motrin and Percoset for pain. Again, let your doctor know your fears, so you can get the facts about your situation and hopefully feel better with that knowledge. All the best to you...hang in there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2002, 04:23 PM
You CAN have general and not be sick!!

Hi Parisflygirl--
I think your fears are normal. I aked my doctor to please have my meds running when I woke up and not "as needed" as the urologist did when he did my bladder sling op. 5 years ago. I awoke to intense pain with that. Asked about it and found some docs do the "as needed" deal. I also let them know how prone I was to Nausea. Because of that they did release my morphine slower and also ran Zofran during surgery. The Zofran is a miracle drug. It is what they give to Chemotherapy patients so they can eat. It did take them awhile to get me comfortable-- it was not misery like the bladder sling op. just wanted relief fast!! It was worth it because I had no sickness. I did have a wave of nausea 10 hours later when they brought my dinner in but that was it. I did get them to do a nausea shot and it went right away. So you CAN have general anesthesia and not be sick. The PCA pump was great!
I also was afraid I wouldn't wake up. Even wrote letters to my hubby and kids "just in case". All my fears were for naught because all went well. I prayed and prayed and finally got a peace the morning I went in. I know of no one who has not returned from the land of hyster but I understand your fears. I would like to invite you to come visit with us in chat. We have a great time in there and you can ask questions and find support there.
My anestheosologist told me if I worried enough I could make myself sick and said I was in good hands to trust him. He also asked me my favorite food and whispered in my ear during surgery that I was hungry for grilled cheese. You cannot be hungry and sick at the same time-- they have actually done studies on this.
Feel free to put me on your buddy list as stheroadrunner or HSChatTeamSheri. I will be glad to be of help to you. I have been where you are on both issues and understand.
Unread 01-03-2002, 04:40 PM

Paris--

I was so terrified of my surgery. I won't go into it all, but it turned out to be a wonderful, fantastic experience. I actually LIKED it. In fact, I like to remember it all it because went so well--it calms me to think about it!

Everyone sent me Bible verses to read ahead of time in the hospital. I knew I'd be too much of a basket case to read them. I planned on reading a People Magazine instead, but I ended up reading the verses and getting great comfort. Then the Lord took over, and the rest of the experience went perfectly. I scribbled on my palm, "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." I kept looking at it, and it really worked.

I did NOT have a morphine pump hooked up to me because I am afraid of getting dizzy and nauseous. Instead, I ended up having phenergan (for nausea, in case I got nauseous) and demerol. They worked SO WELL.

I wish I could come and give you a hug and tell you not to worry. What are you planning on having done? I went in, not knowing if I was going to have it done abdominally or vaginally. I had it both ways--they took out my ovary through the abdomen. When it turned out benign, they took the rest out vaginally.
Unread 01-03-2002, 05:33 PM

You've gotten some great suggestions here, but I want to add something...whatever anesthesia you decide upon, absolutely postively tell EVERYONE, nurses at pre-op, your surgeon, your anesthesiologist, etc, that you have gotten nauseous from pain meds before and that you want anti-nausea meds IN THE IV. And also make sure that your doctor has a standing order in for you post-op for anti-nausea meds. That way, if you do get sick, you won't have to wait around for someone to call the doctor and for the doctor to give the order, then for it to be filled and brought to you. There are great meds available but you have to be very vocal and clear about getting the message out!

I banked two units of my blood before my surgery. I was fine, but a teeny bit woozy after. They will give you juice and cookies, and are VERY careful about not letting you up and around until you feel well enough. If you are allowed, be sure to eat a good healthy meal before you donate the blood, but if you are doing it at your pre-op, be sure to ask about eating.

Best of luck to you!!!

Karen
Unread 01-03-2002, 07:26 PM

Hi Paris -

I am also having surgery on Jan 11. I met with my doctor tonight and he explained everything to me. I am also terrified and it showed in my blood pressure. It was 200/100 while I was at the doctor's office.

He explained that surgery would take about 1 1/2 and that I would have the morphine pump. He would also order meds for nausea. He said the most important thing to remember is that after I leave the hospital I should pretend that I'm still in the hospital for another 2 weeks. Stay in jammies and not do anything in the house.

If you want to chat please send me e-mail at [email protected]. Our surgeries are the same day and hopefully we can get through it together! I'll be thinking about you.
Unread 01-03-2002, 08:06 PM

I wish I had stayed in jammies. I have been doing way too much. I am paying for it by my family thinking I am fine. It's only been 3.5 weeks, and now I'm sore. I'm not horribly sore, but I SHOULD have enjoyed the only time I'll probably ever be pampered.

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS TIME--ENJOY IT!!
Unread 01-03-2002, 10:20 PM

Hey I just had my done 3 weeks ago and I don't think anybody was as terrified as me!! I had to be sedated before I went into surgery and I cried and had to hold the nurses hand as I was going under. When I woke up I had some pain but I was hooked up to the morphine drip and they gave me suppositories(which I requested, they're wonderful), anyway I was up a bit that night, not out of bed though. The next day my catheter came out and I was up and going to the bathroom on my own and never looked back. I got off the morphine that very day but still continued to use the suppositories and Tylenol3 and then I was out of the hospital in 4 days, (but day 3 after my surgery). Don't worry about it, it will all go great. I will talk to you some more if you need to, but it was fine and I know now that it was the right thing to do. It's over so fast and the drs are right there to help you through this every step of the way!!!!
Unread 01-04-2002, 06:19 AM
It will be just fine.

Hi Parisflygirl,

I just had to reply to your concerns since it looks like we will be having surg on the very same day! My preop appt. is on the 7th also. I do have a few questions about minor points for the doc but I am feeling some peace about the decision now and actually looking forward to it!

What's your username stand for? I ask because my oldest daughter is landing in Paris this morning. We told her if she noticed any one getting on the flight with fuses sticking out of their shoes that she should not get on!

Lets go shopping for cute jammies now! We are going to get through this just fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register