Scheduled TVH Did anyone return to work at 2 weeks? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone return to work at 2 weeks? Did anyone return to work at 2 weeks?

Unread 02-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Re: Did anyone return to work at 2 weeks?

I am 16 days post op and could not imagine going back to work right now. I waitress though so alot of speed walking, stretching, and on my feet all day.

My doctor wrote me out prior to surgery for "6 to 8 weeks pending recovery" is what my letter states to my employer.

I am 100% cool with that as I still am in so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM

I am 16 days post op and could not imagine going back to work right now. I waitress though so alot of speed walking, stretching, and on my feet all day.

My doctor wrote me out prior to surgery for "6 to 8 weeks pending recovery" is what my letter states to my employer.

I am 100% cool with that as I still am in some light pain and get exhausted so easily now.. Even if I had a desk job I dont think I could as I am not at the point where I can sit for long periods of time..
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:10 PM

Unless someone really has to for financial reasons or risk of losing her job, I would not recommend going back at 2 weeks. My doc only wants to give 2 weeks but agreed to more when I asked at my follow-up appt. I think it's because he is a man that he thinks his patients can go back that soon! I had lap surgery, which is supposed to be the easiest, and even with that I would not recommend going back before 4 weeks. I'm sure one can push herself to do it sooner as long as no lifting is involved, but I think for long term recovery extra time is better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM

The bottom line is: trust your doctor, and your body.

I had an LSH and was cleared to go back to work and resume all pre-op activity at 2 weeks. Because I was part-time at the time, I ended up not scheduled until I was actually at week 3. Mentally I was more than ready to go back by then, and physically I was fine. A little tired the first day, but that was it. I'm a med-surg nurse, so not a lot of time to sit and rest, it's pretty much 8 hours of go-go-go.

It used to be that you 'had' to take a minimum of 6 weeks off after a hysto. But surgical methods have changed so much, that even with open procedures you shouldn't need to sit around on bedrest for that long. The sooner you can be up and active again, the faster you will heal!

Best wishes to you!!
Unread 02-20-2012, 05:36 PM

I had a partial hysterectomy done lap. style, and I went back to teaching kindergarten at 2 weeks. I started back part time, and worked my way up to full time. I felt incredible! My best advise would be to take the time you need, do not rush your recovery, and let YOUR body be your guide. Good luck to all!
Unread 02-21-2012, 05:35 PM

I go for my two week post op this week. I'm hoping to get release as
I work as a nurse in a clinic setting with no lifting or anything like that. Crossing my fingers
Unread 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM

I had the surgery on jan 24 and went back to work onFeb 6.. less thatn 2 weeks.,. I have a sit down job.. and also I can walk around when I need to.. it was fine for me.. my doctor didn't want me to drive for 2 weeks , so I got a drive to work the first day.. but after that I felt fine to drive.. some days I came home and was very tired, but all in all it was fine.. now it is 4 weeks and I am still doing very well.. but waiting to be cleared to go back to my gym.. I wal about a mile a day for now.. but still feel like I am getting out of shape.. I miss yoga, but that will be hard to get back to for awhile!
Unread 02-22-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesmartcookie View Post
Okay you guys are scaring me. lol. I have a sit down job but it's a stressful, fast pace environment. I'm having a DvH on the 15th and am planning to go back on the 27th.......

LAVH, i had my surgery on feb 9 and attempted to go to work today. I planned on working for just a few hours and ended up working 6. I have a sit down job and let me tell you...by my 6th hour i was about to pass out. I came home and literally cried myself to sleep. I slept for about 2 hours and was better when i woke.

Be careful. You think you are fine but even the mental activity was too much. I wont be back to work again until next week and even then it will be for only 3 hours at a time.
Unread 02-22-2012, 12:20 AM

oh...I was thinking I'd go back on Monday...hope it works out ok but will take note of your post and only do flexi hours.
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:54 AM

please work yourself back up to regular schedule.gradually get back into your routine and please remember you've had major surgery.i had the"i feel so-good's"@ 2 week mark and it was a lie from my body.
just be careful and i would strongly advise to take as much time off as possible,if not you can really mess yourself up

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register