Scheduled TVH Did anyone return to work at 2 weeks? - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone return to work at 2 weeks? Did anyone return to work at 2 weeks?

Unread 02-29-2012, 02:59 AM
Re: Did anyone return to work at 2 weeks?

Well everyone I had stopped feeling guilty! Went into work to assist with month end and today my big day the boss is away, my co-worker celebrated birthday yesterday and guess what ... off sick today...so me sitting there thinking What Am I doing here??? Finished off my jobs, sent an email to the two absent men in my working life saying...I have a Dr certificate for 4 weeks off work...I need to heal so I'm not here for the rest of the week thankyou...
So there you go DON'T feel guilty girls, if you have the sick leave to take and the Dr says you need it then don't be like me...take it and heal properly...hopefully I will learn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2012, 05:58 AM

I did a half day Monday. I enjoyed being at work but my belly just got too sore from the pressure of sitting in a chair. My boss sent me home. Yesterday I did an entire day which totally wiped me out and left me sore. Today is month end so I will do a full day but tomorrow and Friday I'm going to ask to just do a half day. I'm looking forward to next week hoping I will be able to sit without pain.
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:00 PM

I took 10 days off, as I couldn't afford financially to do otherwise, in the end I was not ready and had to take an additional week off, but I have a very physically active job as an xray tech. I would plan on at least 4 to 6 weeks to feel back to normal especially if you have an active job. After 6 weeks I felt great! Good luck to you sister! just play it by ear, your body will tell you after surgery what you are ready for- take it easy for as long as possible to avoid abdominal adhesions. Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2012, 11:59 PM

I was just told 2-4 weeks for a laproscopic. I posted that the GYn said i could return to the gym after 1 week. He also said b\c i work out at the gym a lot, I might heal quicker. i know it is different, but my friend had laproscopic surgery for endrometriosis and she tried to come back after 4 days. she made it half way and was hunkered down behind her desk most of the time. she was back full time after 2 week, if this is any help.
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:00 AM

I have tried a few days at work and each day pushed it too hard. I paid for it! I dont get paid while i am off and i work in the legal field and we have a trial in 21 days. I felt it was the best thing to go in but i have to admit that the sitting for that long really killed me. The swelling is terrible and you think you will only work a few hours but you keep pushing along. I was so frustrated last night with the whole process. I am glad i had the procedure done because a lot of problems that i had been experiencing for so long turned out to be from a bad uterus.

My big thing to remember is that it is best to stop while you still feel good and not AFTER you already hurt. Do i listen to my advice? NO.

Hystersisters has been a huge help. My late nights of sleeplessness have been comforted with the kind words of advice from the other members. Reading the stories of other women that are going through the same thing gives a reminder that you are not a sissy for not feeling 100% yet and its ok to not wear a super mom cape right now.

Thanks ladies for your support!
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVA View Post
I have tried a few days at work and each day pushed it too hard. I paid for it! I dont get paid while i am off and i work in the legal field and we have a trial in 21 days. I felt it was the best thing to go in but i have to admit that the sitting for that long really killed me. The swelling is terrible and you think you will only work a few hours but you keep pushing along. I was so frustrated last night with the whole process. I am glad i had the procedure done because a lot of problems that i had been experiencing for so long turned out to be from a bad uterus.

My big thing to remember is that it is best to stop while you still feel good and not AFTER you already hurt. Do i listen to my advice? NO.

Hystersisters has been a huge help. My late nights of sleeplessness have been comforted with the kind words of advice from the other members. Reading the stories of other women that are going through the same thing gives a reminder that you are not a sissy for not feeling 100% yet and its ok to not wear a super mom cape right now.

Thanks ladies for your support!
So are we doing damage to ourselves by this sitting that's causing the swelling? I wish I had the answer to this. I'm beginning to wonder. I didn't think my doctor would allow me back if it was going to hurt me but the pain makes me wonder......
Unread 03-01-2012, 07:16 AM

At two weeks I would feel swelled up or tight if I was up too long===even if I wasn't doing too much. It does get better and better.
I can't imaging working out at a gym at 2 weeks. My doctor chewed me out for doing laundry because there are still many things inside that have to heal up. And I guess it depends how much you have taken out. I had radical where they cut the top of the vagina off, plus I had many lymph nodes removed. HysterSisters is such a support. I learned a lot here that docs can't tell you.
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:13 AM

The swelling that occurs after surgery of the abdomen is normal, anytime you have any abdominal surgery you will have this swelling- when things are disturbed- or moved around or cut surgically there will be swelling. The more activity you do the more swelling you will have on any given day. My swelling lasted about 3 months. And by doing to much to soon you can also cause what's closed "surgical adhesions" to form- scar tissue- so just take the time to heal completely. It's an I convenience, and hard to ask others to do everything, but well worth it in the end. Best thing I ever did. Your body will tell you after surgery what you can handle- taking it easy as long as possible is a good route to go. This board got me through the most unknown parts of surgery- and just having others with similar stories helped alot.
Unread 03-29-2012, 05:11 PM

I had my DvH surgery on 3/9 and thought I would be returning to work on the 26th. That did not happen, I went in on Saturday for an hour to organize my paperwork, then went shopping for comfortable clothes and ended up spotting and slept the rest of the day and Sunday too. So now I will be returning on April 2nd for half days. I get so tired and sore, still using pain meds and will probably come home and fall into bed.
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:04 PM

I did the same thing and boy did i regret it. I went back to work full time at four weeks and struggled but made it through. Then one day in about the five week mark i realized, "hey, i feel pretty good". I still get winded and tired to the point of crying but i feel great over all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register