Just got back from my pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just got back from my pre-op Just got back from my pre-op

Unread 02-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Just got back from my pre-op

I had a good pre-op and had lots of questions answered and got more information.

I thought I would get to go home sometime the same day, but I found out I would stay over night - one night at least. I don't know why I thought I would get to go home the same day. I will have to wear those stocking on my legs and be walking around by 6 hours after surgery.

I was told the surgeon would make 3 incisions in my abdomen, but he would use a cup (inserted via the vagina) when taking out the cervix. (I watched a video of this on youtube. I don't particularly recommend it though.) The uterus will go out through the vagina, not through the incisions. If he has to make a small incision above the pubic area, then he will, but I don't think he foresees having to do that. The cervix is going too since I have a history of HPV / pre cancerous cells.

Because I am over 40 (43), I had to get EKG. Results were normal. I also gave blood today for a CBC, and I will have to go back on Monday for a urinalysis and more blood draw (Since Monday is a holiday, I will be doing this via the ER. They will be expecting me.)

I will be doing a bowel prep. This does not bother me since I've had 2 colonoscopies in the past.

He was very impressed with my knowledge, and I owe what I do know to Hystersisters

Now I just have to occupy my mind and stay busy until next Tuesday. I think the pre-op appointment and having an extensive questions/answer/information time with the doctor was very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Re: Just got back from my pre-op

Glad you had a positive experience with this important appointment. If you have not already done so, use the time to prepare your comfy spot where you will spend the majority of your time. Cleaning the house and preparing meals ahead of time will help too. Best wishes to you as you get closer to your date. Time will fly by! I can't believe I'm almost 5 weeks post op!
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:59 PM

I'll make sure my cell phone, lap top, crochet project, remote control, and Bible study will be on the bed side table.

I know I'm supposed to take it easy and rest, but how much should I walk around the house, other than just going to the bathroom. At what point do I get my own drink or snack? I just don't want to do too much, too soon, nor do I want to stay in bed too much.

Thank you, Novelist123, and congrats on your recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2012, 06:03 PM

Hi Four Seasons.
I think you'll appreciate having that night's stay in the hospital. it's going to give the nurses a chance to make sure you're able to go to the bathroom and that you're progressing and you'll have the time to ask questions and get used to those new "sensations" that you might experience after surgery. I remember at the hospital when they took me to the room and I had to transfer into the other bed and the nurse asked me to use my feet to slide my body over, so I wouldn't use my stomach muscles...and i thought "you want me to do what?" but by the morning i could get up and out of bed and walk around without any help ... and those tight white socks, well i dont think anyone likes them, but it's hopefully its only one night! take it easy and go slow. keep us posted.
Unread 02-13-2012, 06:13 PM

Thank you, Blessed. Did you sleep that first night in the hospital? Also, will I be able to sleep on my side? I'm a side sleeper, but if discomfort keeps me on my back - I will obey!
Unread 02-13-2012, 06:20 PM

I didn't sleep well at all at the hospital. I wish I'd had my ear plugs, but I couldn't find them until AFTER I got home. I made the most of the insomnia and my nurse had me walking the halls at 2am, then again around 5am. Though scary, I think it helped me feel ready to leave the hospital by noon the next day. I also managed to sleep for about an hour after one of those walks.

I so wanted to sleep on my side but it was too uncomfortable in the hospital. I did manage it with a pillow at my belly once I got home. In the hospital I used the adjustable bed to stay comfortable. I found that the gas from my laparoscopic surgery bothered me a lot, but once I laid flat I was much more comfortable!
Unread 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM

I wouldn't think it would be easy to sleep well in the hospital. I bet you were exhausted by the time you got home, 052188.

I've been reading about that gas from the surgery and how that can really cause discomfort. I'm glad to know that, or else I'd be worried over it.
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:09 PM

I did sleep in the hospital, pretty well actually. I could not lie on my side until one week post op, but now i lie on my side all the time.
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM

My pre op in Wednesday and will be having surgery next Tuesday as well. Best of luck!!
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM

Hi Fourseasons,
We have a LOT in common! I had my pre-op today too, I'm in my 40's (45) and my surgery is next Tues as well! My doctor does all of her hysterectomy's as outpatient.....so I will be going home the same day....we could compare notes...lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register