Scheduled dVH/RALH Looking for the truth about sex after hyster. So confused. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking for the truth about sex after hyster. So confused. Looking for the truth about sex after hyster. So confused.

Unread 02-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Re: Looking for the truth about sex after hyster. So confused.

I had to wait til 8 1/2 weeks post op to have sex. I was sore the first couple times. By the 4th time I was 11 weeks post op and it felt more normal and I actually had a good orgasm. My doc says the vaginal wall is stiff until 12 weeks post op. So just take it slow and use lots of lube. And try to relax if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2012, 09:46 AM

We all had these concerns pre op. I loved my pre op orgasms/drive; what would happen after my dVh/BSO? I was frightened of no orgasms and losing my lubrication and my drive. I'm actually now more "frightened" as to what will happen if my orgasms continue to grow in intensity. They are so much easier to achieve now and they are crazy good AND the past two times, I've had multiple orgasms. It's the most amazing thing : )) As far as dysfunction goes should you experience this, there are multitudes of treatment and support options available to get you through and back on track. Remember to research and communicate about any issues you might encounter and keep your good mental attitude. The quality of sex is so much mental. Good luck to you : )
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:10 AM

My symptoms pre-op were much like yours. It turned out I had adenomyosis. The only cure for adenomyosis is hysterectomy. Adenomyosis is generally progressive, so it would have only gotten worse had I put it off.

I am currently 9 weeks post-op SAH. I was cleared for sex at 6 weeks. My O is defintely still there and going strong. Sex has been great so far. We are still being a little careful just because it is still early in the game. But each time is better, less nervous, and great O. I have one ovary and have not needed additional lubrication.

It has been so nice to be done with the heavy bleeding. Having blood run down my legs at work was not fun. As I get my strength back life is good. I have high expectations for this spring and summer on the farm.

You have to make the best decision for you. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2012, 11:35 AM

Beth, your post helped me a bit. The thought that this will just get worse is the main reason why I'm wanting to do this now, before we move where I have my doctor.

My cramping is a dull ache that's just there every day. My last period before I had had the enough and went on the pill was so heavy that it scared me. I had a panic attack as I sat on the toilet and blood gushed out like an artery had been cut. All my periods since then I've been on the pill so they've been tolerable. They are still on the heavy side, but manageable.

I quit taking the pill so that I can lower my chance of blood clot with this surgery. I think I'd be less aprehensive about the surgery had I not had the pill to decrease the intensity of my last 5 periods, because that last one before the pill was alarming.

In a perfect world, I'd continue the pill for a year or 2 and put this off a while longer. But, each month my period is getting heavier and the pill made me depressed.

I'm so very disappointed because I canceled my first hyster and met with my doctor again to discuss an ablation/tubaligation which I felt so good about. Only to discover I have adenomyosis and my only permanent solution is hysterectomy.
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:41 PM

I am 6 months post op (august 2011) No pain whatsoever with sex...lubrication still in good working order...orgasms are not as intense, but they are ok. Husband has no complaints. Hope all turns out well for you!
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:07 PM

I am pre-op, scheduled for next Friday, Feb 24th. I am scheduled for the DaVinci Hysterectomy, but will be able to keep both ovaries. My surgeon has scheduled removal of uterus and cervix and I am not sure that I want to lose my cervix.

I had a hysteroscopy in December that showed multiple polyps (too many to be removed with a D&C) causing severe bleeding. The hysteroscopy resolved the bleeding for about 30 days and I had even questioned cancelling the surgery until "Aunt Flow" showed her ugly head again about 10 days ago.

I have read that keeping the cervix can reduce the risk of loss of labido, orgasms and vaginal shortening. Has anyone experienced this and does anyone have any advise? I am only 38 and really am not ready to give up any part of my intimate life with my husband.

Thanks for any advise.

Melissa
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:58 PM

Melissa,

I feel you. I'm 35 and am very concerned about sex with no cervix. My doctor told me though with my largest issue being long, heavy periods, I'm very likely to continue to have bleeding problems if I keep my cervix.

The cervix is not a separate organ. It is the lower part of the uterus. Leaving it behind leaves the potential for the endometrial lining to regrow and thus have periods again. Some women leave their cervix and have no periods. Some leave it and have mini periods. Some leave it and have heavy periods again. I guess it just really depends on each individual situation.

Both of my doctor's nurses are in their 30s and had hysterectomies when they were in their 20's and they told me they were happy and have had no sexual problems. They keep trying to reassure me that I will be fine. That life will be great without heavy periods and cramping, but the bad stories are just so bad.
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:34 PM

Thank you for ur reply. I have read so many positive messages on this site but like u said the bad ones are so bad. My mom and mother in law have both had hysterectomies and I even get different scenarios from them. I really just want to feel normal again and I am sure my family wishes the alien Invasion would leave.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register