New here, first thread in this forum! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, first thread in this forum! New here, first thread in this forum!

Unread 02-14-2012, 01:58 PM
New here, first thread in this forum!

Hello everyone!
I've been reading some of these posts for a while, and decided today that I should join.
I've been dealing with chronic pelvic pain and ovarian cysts for as long as I can remember, but it's gotten far worse since the birth of my the child in May 2007.
She was my first c-section, and I also had my tubes tied at the same time.
Last year I finally got tired of constantly being in pain, so after urging from my Primary care physician I went to the my OBGYN, and started all the tests. Ultrasounds/ saline Ultrasounds, biopsy's, and on December 15th they did a Diagnostic Lap with a hysteroscopy and a D&C. It showed that my uterus and ovaries are both very enlarged.
He's diagnosed me with Poly-cystic ovaries and possibly adenomyosis. So, after dealing with all the pain and heavy bleeding for so long, we've agreed that it's time to go ahead with the hysterectomy and remove both of my ovaries.
I'm hopeful that after I'm done healing from the surgery I'll be able to get back to a somewhat active lifestyle, as the severe pain I've been experiencing has kept me down for quite some time!

My doctor has told me I need to go on Estrogen replacement therapy, but because of my history of hormonal migraines/complex migraines that I am on preventive medication for we are starting on a very low dosage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Re: New here, first thread in this forum!

Welcome to this forum. It is a great site for you to get support and answers to questions about your experiences. Of course, medical questions are best left for doctors to answer, but many of the sisters have helped me know that what I am going through is normal!

I'm 2 and a half months post-op, and I can only say that I am really glad that I made the decision to have a hysterectomy. Even though I was not in a great deal of pain before, I am still surprised at how much better I feel. So much more energy and no worries about when I would be laid low with yet another period. I was also surprised at how well I felt at each step in my recovery. Yes, I was sore. Yes, I was tired. But none of it was as bad as I had thought it might be.

I followed my body's messages to rest and take it easy, and my doctor's orders about restrictions on lifting and sex, and had a really great recovery.

I wish you well on your journey.
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:52 PM

After years of increasingly heavy periods, and a failed ablation, I was actually looking forward to my hysterectomy. I will no longer have to worry about what to wear, not having to wear dark trousers all the time - just in case anything happened!
I am so glad I went ahead. The surgery was a simple, painfree procedure for me although I was lucky that there were no complications like adhesions from previous surgery.

My recovery has been really good. I followed all the advice about resting, and not overdoing things or lifting anything heavy.
I am back at work after 3 months, and have so much more energy.

I wish you all the best for your surgery.
I am sure you will soon be on your way to recovery, and can start a painfree life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2012, 09:15 PM

Good luck Brightfrogs, I'm a few days behind you for my TAH. Please keep me posted on your progress the pain we have today will soon be in our past
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:36 PM

also new here . my surgrey is scheduled for feb,22 . i have pcos, and adenomyosis with heavy bleeding too.
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:27 AM

When you have had your surgery, don't forget to look for your Date Club.

Everyone having surgery in the same week as yourself can post your progress as you go through it together.
Those that are having a tougher time of it get support from those who are feeling better.

Don't forget to look at the Hysterectomy Checkpoint at the top of this website to guide you through the first weeks.
Along with my doctors advice, it helped me tremendously
Hope your surgery goes as well as mine!
I have not felt this good in years
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:20 PM

I'm 4 weeks post op (LAVH). The forums here (especially the post op date club) have been very helpful. I too suffer from PCOS, constant migraine, and abnormal bleeding. I've managed to stay off hrt (so far) in the hopes that my headaches will calm down. Doc said it will take 2 - 4 months hormone free before we will know. So far the menopause symptoms have been manageable and even less bothersome then the symptoms I was having from the progesterone therapy we were trying.
Sending lots of hugs!! Good luck!!
Unread 02-19-2012, 07:15 AM

Thank you for the well wishes everyone!

FistsSista,
I am nervous about the HRT. I'd rather try more natural methods than chemicals.

I may just talk to him about holding off on starting HRT until after we see how I'm doing. His concern is my age, but as long as I am able to get back to my normal active self, take supplements etc, Osteoporosis shouldn't be an issue.

I will do my best to keep everyone updated!
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:56 AM
New here, first thread in this forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightfrogs2009 View Post
Thank you for the well wishes everyone!

FistsSista,
I am nervous about the HRT. I'd rather try more natural methods than chemicals.

I may just talk to him about holding off on starting HRT until after we see how I'm doing. His concern is my age, but as long as I am able to get back to my normal active self, take supplements etc, Osteoporosis shouldn't be an issue.

I will do my best to keep everyone updated!
Yes - I am nervous about hrt too, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I'm young too (37) but I'm desperate to get some quality of life back.

Good luck! I hope the best for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register