Scheduled LSH Anyone come home the same day? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone come home the same day? Anyone come home the same day?

Unread 02-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Anyone come home the same day?

Any LSH sisters out there come home the same day. My dr says it is possible and I am the first surgery of the day. I am really hoping to be in my own bed thursday night. I have 4 kids at home who really don't do well with me being gone and not tucking them in. I know that I won't be going to their rooms to tuck them in even if I am home but at least they can come to me...

Actually waiting for a call from the office to make sure I am still on for thurs. since even with the antibiotic I have been on I am still congested. Hoping it is still a go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Re: Anyone come home the same day?

My LSH (only uterus removed) was set for 7:15 am on December 29. I was discharged at 2:15pm that same day.

I didn't have any nausea problems this go around like I did when I had my lap surgery 3 weeks prior. I attribute that to the nurse not letting me have water to drink like I did after my lap. I had sprite and was able to urinate and empty my bladder the first time and I was able to keep my lunch down and my pain was under control. The nurse originally told me it would probably be around 5pm before my doctor was able to come around and see me but she ended up calling my doctor and leaving word that I was ready to go and doing great. Within an hour my doctor came in and released me to go home.

I was told from the beginning that as long as my pain was under control (had to be under a 5 on the 1-10 scale). I wasn't having any nausea or vomiting and I could empty my bladder that I could go home. I was lucky and had no problems. My bed never felt so good once I got home.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Unread 02-14-2012, 03:01 PM

That is so good to hear Frecklez. Would like to know how this compared to your lap, I have had two of those and was wondering if I should expect the same type of pain/healing? How are you doing since your surgery? I haven't found a whole lot of people who have had LSH and would love to know more about recovery form it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2012, 03:44 PM

When I had my lap I had NO CLUE it would turn into an LSH just 3 weeks later (done so quickly because of insurance deductible issues) so we had scheduled to do a tubal ligation while she was doing the lap surgery. That was the first time I had EVER had any kind of surgery so I had no idea what to expect.

I had was in a LOT of pain right after i awoke from surgery. It felt like strong contractions sorta. The pain meds they gave me at first were not doing anything but once I got that under control I was good to go. They asked what I wanted to drink post op and I requested water (NEVER again). I got super nauseous when they were taking to the car to leave but that went away and I was fine. The next few days I had very bad pain from the gas and was really sore but after about 3-4 days I was fine. The reason I said all of this is because I had no clue what to expect with this surgery and was SO SO SO surprised with recovery from LSH.

LSH recovery I can honestly say was SO much easier than the lap recovery. My pre-op was to do a fleet enema the night before (no clue at the time why) wash with some of the soapyest soap I have ever used and the morning of surgery I had to wash again w/ that soap and do 2 betadine douches. I woke up in recovery and felt SO much better than I expected. I was out of it of course but the pain wasn't nearly as bad as it was after the lap. They took me to a regular hospital room until I was discharged.

Once I got home I was really sore and slow but felt really really good. I never had any bleeding until I was 2 weeks post op and I was going through walmart picking up last minute bday stuff for my son and talking on my cell and wasn't paying attention and I picked up a case of water and slung it over in the shopping cart...BAD MISTAKE. I was really sore and started spotting a little (this was a friday). I called my doctor on the following Monday, my 2 week post op appt was that Thursday, and told her what I did. She got on to me but the spotting had stopped by then and I was feeling fine again so we just went on with my regular post op appt. I would get tired super fast at first. Like taking a shower would wear me out. I went back to work after a week. I have a very easy sit down desk job. I would only work a few hours a day that following week. I probably should have stayed home but I didn't and had no problems. But, like I said, I have a desk job and don't do any heavy lifting or anything. Sitting for long periods of time would make me real sore.

When I went for my 2 week post op my doc told me that the pathology came back I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis. I haven't had any problems until last week. My husband and I were being intimate and it felt like he hit my cervix and that it was going to come out through my eyeballs. That is the first time I have had any pain at all during intercourse and it has been better than EVER!!!! I think I had forgotten what it was like to be able to enjoy it and him too. I called my doctor the next day and have an appointment for this Thursday. I never had any spotting or bleeding. It was a pain that I had felt prior to surgery while having intercourse. I have NO CLUE what it could be and haven't had the pain since then. However, we have not tried that position again and i honestly don't plan to.

I don't want that to scare you as I haven't had the pain since that day and hadn't had it prior to that time since my surgery. I will update on that once I go to the doctor. I chose to keep my cervix because I felt like there was no reason to remove it since I had never had an abnormal pap smear and the doctor told me it was 100% up to me that she would do whatever I wanted her to do.

PLEASE PLEASE feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the surgery and I will be more than happy to answer them as best I can. This website has helped me so much and I am so glad I found it.
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:19 PM

I had surgery 8 am out of surgery by 9:30 am. I could have gone home at 12:30 but you have to urinate on your own first. I was discharged at 2:30 pm. Worst part was the feeling of needing to pee and not being able to. The sore throat from tube was bad as well. I did not get the dreaded gas pas after. I know I am fortunate. I had uterus and cervix removed. Tomorrow is 6 weeks and I am completely back to my old self.
Unread 02-14-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacaj View Post
Any LSH sisters out there come home the same day. My dr says it is possible and I am the first surgery of the day. I am really hoping to be in my own bed thursday night. I have 4 kids at home who really don't do well with me being gone and not tucking them in. I know that I won't be going to their rooms to tuck them in even if I am home but at least they can come to me...

Actually waiting for a call from the office to make sure I am still on for thurs. since even with the antibiotic I have been on I am still congested. Hoping it is still a go.
I had LSH 6 days ago at 9:30 am, stayed overnight and would have stayed another night if they would have let me! LOL! There is no way I was ready to go home same day and my surgery went great, no surprises, everything went according to plan. I was very nauseous from anesthetic (and I had nothing to drink after surgery, too sick to drink) and that lasted about 3 hours. They couldn't even take me to my room for awhile and had to keep me in recovery because I was too nauseous for them to roll the bed down the hallway. I was also in a lot of pain (5-6) after I woke up. Especially with four kids at home, I'd spend the night.
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:17 PM

I had my LSH w/ovaries removed also. My surgery was 9:00am, and I was in the surgery suite for about 3 hrs. I was then moved to recovery for about another hour. In all honesty, I feel that since this is "major" surgery, you owe it to yourself to spend at least one night in the hospital. It's reassuring to know that professionals are watching you carefully, and being waited on makes your recovery get started on the right foot! You only get one chance to recuperate and heal - be a princess and stay in the castle! Please don't try to be superwoman!
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:35 PM

I had TLH. Surgery pushed to 1:30 and by the time I got through surgery and recovery it was evening when I got to my room. I had very difficult night and was SO glad I was in the hospital. The doc said before if I felt well enough I could go home same day. Even if I had gotten out of surgery earlier, I wasn't planning to go home the same day. The first 14 hours after I arrived in my room were tough, and the nurse even had to call the on call doc for orders for extra pain meds (morphine). My personal opinion is that a hyster is a major surgery with too many complication risks to go home the same day.
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:30 PM

Even if they offered it to me, I wouldnt. Wont. Mine is at 11am. With 3 at home, 2 being small enough to get excited when Mommy walks in the door, I think I'd be mauled and hurting. Mine prefer mommy, but I think they will be ok for one night.
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:23 PM

If I had small child at home I would definitely opt to stay a night at the hospital. i have 2 teenage boys and they can take care of their self.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register