Scheduled LSH Anyone come home the same day? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone come home the same day? Anyone come home the same day?

Unread 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Re: Anyone come home the same day?

Hi Nacaj,
Stay as long as you can...the kids will be fine. Sometimes mommy needs to worry about herself! You're having major surgery, please take the rest while you can.
I know how you're feeling, I have have three little girls that can't live without me...hence the reason why I'm sick...lol! They need to be on top of me at all times...but of course, I wouldn't have it any other way!
It's too bad we won't be recovering together but you will have to keep me posted!
I will be thinking about you tomorrow
~Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2012, 09:43 AM

Not trying to be a superwoman but would rather come home if all is okay. Surgery is at 10 am in the morning and have plenty of help when I get home. My daughter is a nurse and will be with me along with husband, mom, an inlaws.

My question is about nausea and drinking something. I have never been put to sleep for surgery. I was told not to drink anything after 12am but Doc said I could drink 1 cup black coffee that morning when i get up that would be fine?? Is it okay? Trust my doctor but everyone else says dont drink anything..what to do? I have had migraines if I missed my morning coffee that I am use to drinking 4:30am every morning before work. Suggestions?? Dont want nausea, dont want migraine, I want to get this surgery!
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:54 AM

I wasn't allowed anything after 12am and when I got to the hospital the morning of surgery I asked why and was told it was because of acid reflux issues you can have during surgery. They also gave me some kinda of pill to help the acid reflux also. It was Pepcid i think or something similar. I don't have any problems with acid and never have. They did this for both my lap surgery and also when I went for the LSH.

I personally wouldn't drink anything at all but that's just my opinion. I am also a coffee drinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsets1 View Post
Not trying to be a superwoman but would rather come home if all is okay. Surgery is at 10 am in the morning and have plenty of help when I get home. My daughter is a nurse and will be with me along with husband, mom, an inlaws.

My question is about nausea and drinking something. I have never been put to sleep for surgery. I was told not to drink anything after 12am but Doc said I could drink 1 cup black coffee that morning when i get up that would be fine?? Is it okay? Trust my doctor but everyone else says dont drink anything..what to do? I have had migraines if I missed my morning coffee that I am use to drinking 4:30am every morning before work. Suggestions?? Dont want nausea, dont want migraine, I want to get this surgery!
I was told absolutely nothing after midnight. This is due to the fact that you can throw up during surgery (acid reflux or not) and aspirate it into your lungs. Also, I was extremely nauseous for about three hours following my surgery and even then, could only have ice chips. Maybe they could make you some coffee ice chips? Just kidding, I know what you mean about the coffee. I missed mine too. And I had to do the bowel prep and could only have black coffee the day before surgery but I've got to have cream in mine so I drank one cup (rather than my usual 5 or 6!) and that was it. Good luck.
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks for all the input ladies. Good to know that it is possible to come home same day if I am doing well... So not into being superwoman but would rather be in my own bed if possible. Kids are old enough to do what they are told and not be climbing or jumping on me. They have already been told they are taking over my "jobs" around the house for the time being. Will just being playing it by ear to see how I feel tomorrow!

Laura I got the all clear from the dr this morning. lungs are clear and ears are better - overnight! Wish we were recovering together also but you get well and be healthy going into this on the 1st.

Off to start my bowel prep oh what fun!
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:53 AM

Great news, Nacaj!! Good Luck with the bowel prep.
Keep me posted!
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and sharing your experience.

Nacaj I will be starting my bowel prep @6pm. I invited friends to come to my colon cleanse party, will be having grape Citroma shots! Would you believe no one was interested??? LOL Got to laugh about some things or else I would be crying. It's all gonna be okay.

See you on the other side Nacaj!
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:46 PM

Very odd thst no one wanted to join you Shell. That is funny! My funny moment came from my sister. I cry over EVERYTHING! Happy, sad, good, bad, mad, If it is an emotion I am crying. So... my sister says "At least after this is over maybe you won't cry all the time" Me "I am not having ovaries out unless he sees a problem with them when he is in ther." Sister "Maybe you could just get him to take one no matter what -- then maybe you would only cry half the time" Well that just cracked me up at a time when everyone was being so "careful" about what tbey said, she just kept it real! loved it.

Enjoy your evening
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Lol! That's great!
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:52 PM

My surgery was at 730 am,in recovery at 930 am,was home by 9pm only because I felt soooo hungover from the anesthesia and couldn't be upright for long - the feeling completely passed by 330 in the morning. I never needed pain Meds after recovery room, no troubles urinating or eating. My recovery was pretty easy - I'm 5 weeks out, it was the best decision I've made. Good luck , and DON'T drink the morning of surgery . I can almost guarantee you that your anesthesiologist will cancel your case !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register