LIW - what about the dogs on the bed in recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LIW - what about the dogs on the bed in recovery? LIW - what about the dogs on the bed in recovery?

Unread 01-03-2002, 04:33 PM
LIW - what about the dogs on the bed in recovery?

Am I going to have to find a way to bar the dogs (140 lb. and 68 lb) from the bedroom postop? They won't jump ON me but the 140 sure makes a plop when he lands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2002, 07:18 PM
welcome

VBL

I don't have any dogs but I do have a 20 lbs. cat! Even him throwing himself down next to me HURT! I'd start to scratch his chin or pet him and down he'd go. THUD!!!!

Remember our animals can sense when and where we hurt. Their usual response is to try to "fix" it, that fix comes in the form of being laid on, next or them simply pacing.

A woman I worked with came up with a great idea for keeping the animals out ( she has 7 dogs ranging in size from 10 lbs to 150 lbs). She put a screendoor on her bedroom. It allows them to get your scent and let air flow through.

Hope this helps. Good luck and WELCOME to the best site there is.
Unread 01-04-2002, 01:10 PM

I have a dog too who thinks I am sleeping in HIS bed..... When I came home, he was NOT allowed to be on my bed which of course he didnt understand.... I didnt want to risk him jumping on me accidently, so he had to be in another room when I was asleep and resting. After a few weeks he was allowed to come back to HIS bed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 01:10 PM

Hi vbl!

I think that may depend on your surgery. My 75 lbs dog sleeps in bed with me and I didn't have a problem with her movement on the bed. (I had a tvh). But then, if I don't want her up there, I just tell her to stay down. If you are having abdominal surgery, you may be more sensitive to the bed moving, but I will defer that answer to someone who's been there Good Luck!
Unread 01-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Hey LIW

I too have a cat and she loves to sleep so she would wait for me to lay down and up she would come. she was also sick at the time so she had lost weight and didn't weigh much but still she walked across me a couple just because she was use to doing so. I had a tah so that didn't feel good but all in all she wasn't trouble. Dogs with that weight may be a problem just from the weight settling beside you. I would go with the flow. Of course the screen door is an excellent idea. I used one on my son's door when he was born because we had a 9 year old cat and wasn't sure how she would react. I was great I could hear him and she could see and smell him. Of course he became her baby and loved to wash his hands and feet which made him smile. God Bless. s for now and later.
Unread 01-04-2002, 03:21 PM
Thanks everyone!

Thank you all for those ideas. After hearing the screen door thought I'm thinking I might get a "baby gate" maybe accomplishing the same goal. MaryBeth are you sure you don't have my dogs?? DH and I are thinking of getting another kingsize for us because we're obviously using "theirs". C'mon 1/14!
Unread 01-04-2002, 05:07 PM

Wow....yes, please be very careful about getting accidently squished!

Another excellent reason to get yourself a nice tummy pillow....good for warding off big goofy dogs and flailing spouse appendages, too...check out the Tummy Pillow/Tote Bag in the Hyster Sisters Store!!!

Karen
Unread 01-04-2002, 08:17 PM

Well it was very hard for me... but my sweet husky/border collie mix LUCKY had to sleep on the floor for 2 weeks post op.

One thing we started a week or so pre-op was teaching her a new command MOVE. If she was at me feet and I was on the couch.. I would say move... and help her do so... when she did it on her own.. lots of treats and praise. After a few days... we said it while she was in bed... and she would get off the bed... lots of praise and treats again!!

Now at night (13 weeks post) if she is taking over the bed... I can still say MOVE LUCKY and she gets on the floor.
Unread 01-05-2002, 02:31 PM

All I can say is be careful. My 49 lb.Aussie didn't understand why she couldn't jump up on my lap for her hug. She got me a couple of times( and yes it hurt severely), but she soon learned not to jump unless she had my permission. Over 100 lbs could be quite a bit of movement. I would wait at least a couple of weeks.
Unread 01-05-2002, 03:30 PM

Hi VBL:

I had to chuckle when I read your post. I, too, have a 150lb "baby". She's a 6 year old St. Bernard. She had been sleeping with my DH and I until we broke down and bought our own bed. She now has her own queen sized bed and her own bedroom. We don't have children, can you tell?

She was very concerned about her mommy when I came home. She followed me around like, well, a little puppy. Not once has she tried to put her paws on me since the surgery. She slept at the foot of our bed on the floor (VERY unusual) until I was better ad then I slept on the couch.

I agree with the other ladies that reassuring will go a long way. They do sense when we don't feel well. Somehow, she "knew" I was sick when I went to the castle. My mom said she moped around until I came home.

Just love on your babies a lot and let them know you still love them, you just can't play yet.

Much love,
Danita
TAH December 10, 2001

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register