Scared and confused - LAVH scheduled 1/17 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared and confused - LAVH scheduled 1/17 Scared and confused - LAVH scheduled 1/17

Unread 01-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Scared and confused - LAVH scheduled 1/17

I am scared and confused.

I'm not sure which things I read will apply to me. Will I still want to have a pillow for my tummy even though I'm not going to have abdominal surgery? And my doctor didn't tell me that my ovaries could quit functioning anyway - this scares me quite a bit, since I can't take hormones.

How badly will I be feeling afterwards? I have an all-day class I'm supposed to attend on the 19th. I can probably lay down during it. Should I cancel? Should I try to go and leave?

This site is wonderful, btw. I'd been searching for more information and had been unable to find it, and a friend sent me the URL to this site. I'm thrilled with the amount of information. I even printed out some pages and put them on my husband's desk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2002, 04:47 PM

Jaz and welcome to hystersisters.

Tummy pillows are great for all kinds of hyst....even though you won't have larger external incision...you'll still have lots of internal stitches. You'll need your tummy pillow to laugh, sneeze, cough and wear under seat belts.

Yes, I'd cancel that class.

Use search icon at the top and search by keyword "lavh" in post op pull down...that'll give you some additional info.
Unread 01-03-2002, 04:52 PM

Jaz--how old are you?

I had it ALL out and am not taking hormones. I was somewhat concerned but had no choice, and things have been going very well. The only problem is that I am doing too much and feeling it.

You might want to cancel that class for about six weeks!!

I don't have a tummy pillow, but I would like one. When I sneeze or cough, I have to brace myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2002, 04:55 PM

I had a LAVH too and yes, a small pillow will come in handy for when they make you do the deep breathing & coughing in the hospital. Also for sneezing or laughing. Another use for a pillow is when laying on your side. Prop it under your tummy & another one between your knees.

And I would definately cancel that class!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-03-2002, 05:48 PM
My opinion

Hello there & welcome to hystersisters.
I am having a LAVH/BSO w/ appendectomy on the 8th & I have been told by numerous people that the tummy pillow will still come in handy even though I will not have the dreaded "abdominal incision"

I completely agree with all the other sisters about the class. CANCEL IT!

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery & hope you have an uneventful recovery. I'll see you on the other side.
Unread 01-03-2002, 07:30 PM
1/17 Also!

This is my first reply or comment although I have been reading and READING comments for the past couple months trying to gather all the information I can. Kind of been an outsider looking in, but decided to jump in and get my feet wet tonight. I'm scheduled for TAH on the 17th also, so when I saw this as your date also, I felt compelled to respond. The 17th has seemed so far away since I scheduled the date over a month ago, and now it is rapidly approaching. This website has definitely helped prepare me -- I think -- or at least as much as possible. I have never had any type of surgery or been in the hospital except when I had my children and that was 1975 for the last and my "tubes tied" in 1981. I am scared to death when I think about it too much. I don't know which is worse, the fear of the pain or the fear of what might be afterward, i.e., potential post-op problems, bladder problems. I am very active and love to work out and worry about being inactive too long and gaining too much weight also when I have worked so hard to get and stay in shape. Guess the more I rattle on here, I do have lots of concerns, but I suppose that is only to be expected. It does help to get all this information from ladies going through the same ordeal. Just the information on how to prepare for and what to remember to take to the hospital has been great. Lots of things I didn't think of. It's comforting to know that just about everyone else has the same fears, confusion and dumb questions especially, because I keep getting answers to questions I felt stupid asking. It's great not to be alone!
Unread 01-03-2002, 07:37 PM

hjay. Welcome to hystersisters. Thanks for introducing yourself I worried non-stop pre-op about the "what ifs"...never once thought "what if" everything goes good and I'd feel great...but that's exactly what happened.

We'll be with you every step of the way.

Again, thanks for "jumping in". This is a great group of women.
Unread 01-03-2002, 08:10 PM

Endo--that's neat you're getting an appendectomy. I was told I couldn't have one because of having a LAVH!! I did NOT want to keep my appendix in. Oh well. Had they opened me up, they would have done it.

Hjay--the worst fear is the fear of the unknown. Trust me. If I only had known how neat it actually was going to be, I would have enjoyed it so much more! It just was NOT bad. You're in a good city (the midwest has GOOD medical care--we deliberately moved 2100 miles to get better medical care).

Hugs to all of you ladies in waiting!
Unread 01-04-2002, 07:56 AM

Hi,
My LAVH is scheduled the 16th. Now thanks to Dot I will keep the what if everything goes great and I feel great in mind. All I have been thinking is the pain of it all. I just dont' want to wake up in pain. But I suppose I should be grateful to wake up huh?

Sparkler the big
Unread 01-04-2002, 10:52 AM

My experience was that when I actually woke up, I was NOT in pain--still had some effects from the anesthesia for hours. I was NOT on a pump for pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register