Scheduled TAH Surgery scheduled for next week | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery scheduled for next week Surgery scheduled for next week

Unread 02-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Surgery scheduled for next week

Hello Everyone!

I have a large submucosal fibroid pressing on my bladder with a mild cystocele, hydrosalpinx and a ovarian cyst. I have been having heavy periods, clotting, decreased energy etc. I am having alot of pain and therefore slated for an abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral tube removal , and ovary cyst removal next week.

Is this true if laparoscopy is used, the accuracy of the pathology may be in question ? Please share your thoughts.

Also, if the fibroid is actually malignant, can there be spread of the cancer due to the laparoscopic procedure by way of peritoneal seeding after using the morcellator?

Any and all advice will be helpful.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Re: Surgery scheduled for next week

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Is a gyn onc doing your surgery? A gyn onc did my surgery as I had a cancer concern with my complex ovarian cyst and fibroids. I had a TAH BSO. My understanding is that if there is a cancer concern, the docs want to do open abdominal so that they can get a clear view of everything in case there is cancer.

I do not know anything about the relationship between laparoscopy and questionable pathology. Or the spread of the malignancy. Please ask your doctor.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Surgery scheduled for next week

Is this true if laparoscopy is used, the accuracy of the pathology may be in question ? Please share your thoughts.

I haven't heard that before - I had my lap surgery done by a gyn-oncologist and she never mentioned anything about the pathology being less reliable if procured via lap. She wasn't expecting any problems (path-wise), but nonetheless she sent everything out for a path report.

Also, if the fibroid is actually malignant, can there be spread of the cancer due to the laparoscopic procedure by way of peritoneal seeding after using the morcellator?

I've heard that if there is a concern of cancer, then lap may not be the preferred method - But fibroids are almost never (if ever) malignant - My surgery was specifically for multiple fibroids all over my uterus and the surgeon definitely preferred to do it laparascopically.

I'm not a so just going with what I've heard - Best of luck to you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register