Do you think age is a factor in recovery? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you think age is a factor in recovery? Do you think age is a factor in recovery?

Unread 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Re: Do you think age is a factor in recovery?

Phoenix is so right about the unpredictability. I am 41 and extremely fit (runner). However, this surgery has kicked my hiney. I finally started taking walks at around 3-1/2 weeks. I had to stop several times to catch my breath. I went out last Thursday and fortunately was smart enough to take someone with me. After 2-1/2 hours I was tired. I probably could have forced myself to drive home but was glad someone was with me and could drive instead. Given my age and fitness level I did not expect to have so much fatigue. There is another thread about depression. Even keeping an ovary I have had a lot of emotional issues too with this surgery. I just don't think you can predict anything about recovery...it is what it is. If you are a person who can take each day as it comes, I think you do better (sadly, this is not me).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2012, 05:07 PM

Yep . . . age is one of the factors.

That said, I was 37 when I had mine (still am!). I had an LSH. It was my 2nd lap surgery in 6 months. I'm overweight, don't exercise enough, occasionally smoke, but am in otherwise excellent health. I'd say the first week was the worst for me; at 2 weeks I was cleared to resume activity without restrictions, and at week 3 I went back to work as a busy staff nurse. I have a teenage son, a husband, two big dogs, and two horses to take care of at home, and was back to my normal routine in much less time that I thought it'd take.

Best wishes!
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm sure age could be a factor but in my case (just turned 50) I'm a marathon runner (just did last one Jan 15th) and more fit than most women I know who are 20 years younger. I went for a 25km run the day before my surgery for fun, because I knew I wouldn't be running for a month at least.

I had a vag. hys (kept ovaries) on Feb 6th with no complications other than dizziness and naseau for about 5 hours post-op, no constipation or any other issues. I didn't need any meds other than tylenol after the first 12 hours and haven't taken anything since returning home Feb 8th. The surgical resident wanted to give me morphine around midnight the first night but i have a high pain tolerance and didn't really feel like i needed it so I refused and don't regret it.

I have not had any soreness and other than sleeping a lot of the first few days felt fine. I have been forcing myself to take it really easy as I have a half marathon on May 27th and don't want to take any chances of setting back my recovery.

I went for a one mile walk yesterday and two miles today. Feeling great tonight and haven't needed any daytime naps since Saturday.

Don't know about others but for me I would say 100% that fitness level and the fact that I had no complications have made this very easy for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerQueen View Post
I'm sure age could be a factor but in my case (just turned 50) I'm a marathon runner (just did last one Jan 15th) and more fit than most women I know who are 20 years younger. I went for a 25km run the day before my surgery for fun, because I knew I wouldn't be running for a month at least.

I had a vag. hys (kept ovaries) on Feb 6th with no complications other than dizziness and naseau for about 5 hours post-op, no constipation or any other issues. I didn't need any meds other than tylenol after the first 12 hours and haven't taken anything since returning home Feb 8th. The surgical resident wanted to give me morphine around midnight the first night but i have a high pain tolerance and didn't really feel like i needed it so I refused and don't regret it.

I have not had any soreness and other than sleeping a lot of the first few days felt fine. I have been forcing myself to take it really easy as I have a half marathon on May 27th and don't want to take any chances of setting back my recovery.

I went for a one mile walk yesterday and two miles today. Feeling great tonight and haven't needed any daytime naps since Saturday.

Don't know about others but for me I would say 100% that fitness level and the fact that I had no complications have made this very easy for me.
I think there are so many factors as to our recovery it's pretty hard to put it down to one single factor...but agree being pre op fit must help.
I've been doing curves and walking right up to surgery...I had lapro surgery with vaginal assist total hyster & ovaries out...from the outside I'm sure I look like I've had nothing done, I'm back doing around 3-4000 steps a day, they say we should do 10,000 steps a day so I figure that's not too bad.
Both my mother and father are quick healers, maybe it's in our genes? I'm a very positive person and I eat a balanced diet, maybe that helps...
But reading through the posts I note that you can overdo it no matter what age, what surgery, what fitness so I for one will do what I'm told and take it easy...a bit of excerise and lot's of rest good luck to all.
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:51 PM

OneOf3, I totally agree that a lot of factors are at play! I don't have good genes which is why I became a runner and clean eater, to combat that family history. Most of my family is obese with diabetes and high blood pressure.

The worst part of surgery for me were the anethestic and all the meds they pump into your body. I haven't even had an antibiotic in about 6 years so it hit me pretty hard for the first 12 hours but I bounced back pretty quickly.

My Dr. told me I could walk after 7 days and I waited for an additional 2, so for me that is big time restraint.

Also I take no meds of any kind and have no health issues so I'm sure that helps as well.

I feel fantastic and I'm grateful for it. I'm am extremely careful about my health and in tune with my body and will not be going beyond what feels easy.

I truly feel for any of those going through a rough time post-surgery and hope that each and every one who is struggling right now feels better soon.
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:26 PM

'ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING'!
Enough said...

Well wishes for 'All' & happy healing,
Angela
52/Post-menopausal/LOVING LIFE!
ERT-Evamist
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:32 PM

It all depends on how your general health is, what you had done and what was inside of you. Age has less impact in my opinion. I know many 20 year olds who are much less healthy than my 84 yr old father. He has no health issues other than some arthritis in one thigh and a tendency to gout. Sure, age will keep you from prancing around much earlier after major surgery, but if your basic health is okay -- no diabetes, no BP, good general health -- age is less of a factor.
Unread 02-23-2012, 02:04 PM

I hope age plays a factor thats why I had this done now at 42. I know stories in my family about falling out bladders and what not. I had a pretty bad partial prolapse I guess of everything. I went in for a bladder surgery and came out with 5 different operations including my Hysterectomy for 10 days. I dont feel like Im bouncing back but I figure it was a pretty major operation. The more you have done the less likely you will be to bounce back as fast and... the age factor. I Hope that I made the right decision that the corrections will improve my life That my body will heal and I can enjoy the future.
Unread 02-23-2012, 02:18 PM

you will,JINGELS!
i dont really think age is really a factor.i think its how healthy and active you are.BUT i am healthy 37 yr old and TAH knocked me for a loop.it was a very tricky surgery.i thought i was better in 2 weeks and basically did normal routine ,by week 3,i could barely walk.i had compared recovery to my 2 previous c-sections-PLEASE DONT DO THIS CAUSE ITS NOT-----AT ALL
Unread 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM

thanks I take the good advice. My head is going alot faster than my body. Its not easy having to be slow.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register