Do you think age is a factor in recovery? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you think age is a factor in recovery? Do you think age is a factor in recovery?

Unread 02-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Re: Do you think age is a factor in recovery?

While age may be one factor, it is only one part of the picture. So is attitude. So is our genetic make-up. So is...

I was young (25) and healthy with a great positive attitude. I also had a skilled surgeon and had a lap assisted surgery. If you had made a check list of the perfect surgery candidate, I was just about it. All in all, everyone expected me to have smooth sailing all the way.

For whatever reason, I had complication upon complication even though the actual surgery went well and my overall health was compromised for several years. When my GYN released me at 6 months, he gave God the credit that I was even better as he stated he and the rest of the doctors didn't have a clue what had gone wrong or how to fix it. It was/is all a mystery.

On the other hand, I know a woman who if you made a list of the worst type of patient, she probably had everything going against her except she did not smoke, drink, or use drugs. In fact, if it had not been for the cancer diagnosis they would not have done surgery because of all of the risk factors. She was very obese and completely out of shape, had type 2 diabetes, was in her late 40's, and had a host of other issues. While she did have a little longer hospital stay partially because of the abdominal type of surgery and also a hernia repair, once she came home she did way better than I had and recovered faster, too.

Go figure.

Yes, in general some types of patients should do better recovery wise, and there will be those for who it won't be that simple because of basic factors. But age may or may not be the deciding factor, as can be seen on this thread and across the whole website.

Feel blessed if your surgery and recovery went well no matter your age or overall health picture. But for those who have had a rougher go of it, don't beat yourself up either. Sometimes it is completely outside our control.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2012, 04:20 PM

I'm 30 also, surgery was 3,wks yesterday. Da Vinci hyster, adhesion on bladder fused to my uterus. I felt great by day 8-17. Walked on the treadmill those days at 1.2, very slowly for 25-35min. But this week has been hell. My pain has been a 8/10 daily, then again I don't take my motrin by a certain hour. I wait til I'm in pain so I know how much pain I can take b4 I need motrin. I was working out 2-3 days b4 my hysterectomy. I've always healed quick with other surgeries in the past. I think we all just heal differently. My doc scrapped a lot of scar tissue off my bladder, when separating my uterus from it.He said he hadn't seen that in a couple of yrs.
Unread 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM

I think more than age it's what's being done in there and also how your general health is. Specifically, if you had scar tissue. My dr said that I had a huge amount of scar tissue from my previous myomectomy and that "this was not your usual hystetectomy". I always keep that in mind when my brain tells me I'm almost healed and my body wants to follow suit. 'Cos I know my *** is gonna get kicked sooner or later if I do too much lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM

I do think that age is a factor. I was relatively fit until 50. Then, due to quality of life issues, needed to have an emergency DaVinci hysterectomy due to large fibroids.
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:26 PM

I dont believe age factor is a big deal.its called your health period.i am in great shape and its basically took me just as long as ppl. That arent exercise junkies or anything to that affect.i am 37.
I was warned to try to get into great shape before surgery but a dear friend i have met thru this site is 50 an to hear her talk,she's not in best shape and mine and her recoverytime has been about the same

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register