Has anyone gone home the day of abdominal hysterectomy?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone gone home the day of abdominal hysterectomy?? Has anyone gone home the day of abdominal hysterectomy??

Unread 02-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Has anyone gone home the day of abdominal hysterectomy??

My dr said that I will go home either the day of my surgery, ( full hysterectomy,cervix being removed, going to have abdominal surgery due to prior c sections) or the next day. Is this normal? I though you usually stay in the castle for a few days? I live about 90 miles away from the castle so that concerns me a bit.
Did anyone else go home the same day??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Re: Has anyone gone home the day of abdominal hysterectomy??

I came home after a 23 hour admit. I was fine. No catheter, not a lot of pain, just tired and grateful to sleep in my own bed.

If you do not feel comfortable with or ready to go home same day don't let them send you. You are your own best advocate.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:05 PM

I had my surgery on a Monday at about 8:30am...I was scheduled to be in the castle until Thursday evening...I actually came home on Wednesday afternoon...my castle stay was not unpleasant and I was thankful for the support of the nurses and my doc who came to visit me 2-3 times a day (his practice is in the hospital so its very convenient for him)...my first 24 hours at home was nerve wracking, I can't imagine having come home much sooner...On the Tuesday after my surgery I did have a reaction to percocet, maybe without that coming home earlier would have felt more comforting...

If you feel like coming home, FANTASTIC, you'll be able to rest better, if it makes you uncomfortable then speak up and don't leave before you're ready! Its really not so bad overall and right now at 2 1/2 weeks post op, I'd do it all again...except maybe the percocet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2012, 06:46 PM

I had TAH-BSO (abdominal hysterectomy) on Monday (2/13) and I don't think I could have come home on the same day. The second day I could have come but my doc keeps his patients in the hospital at least 2 nights.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM

I had a TAH-BSO (manual abdominal surgery, vertical incision) and stayed 5 days. Was glad of all that time because I'm on my own (I did have help). But 5 days is the norm for that particular surgery in NZ.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:56 PM

I had abdominal surgery several years ago to remove a 13 cm cyst and had surgery in the afternoon and begged to be let out that night. My doc made me stay overnight and let me go home the next morning. This time I am getting a DaVinci hyster and I asked if I could go home the same day. My surgery is at 7 a.m., so my doc said we'll see how I am feeling and she may possibly let me go home. I am hoping so, I have spent so much time in the hospital with family members that I get physically ill being there.

If you don't feel ready, make sure your doctor knows.
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:17 PM

I had a TAH and I could not have come home the first day. First the iv pain meds I needed. Also, I was cathorized until the next morning and even the next morning I still didn't have bowel sounds. I stayed 2 nights and my dr let me go after I passed gas on the 3day.
Everyone is different, but remember your bowels will need to wake up and that takes time. Best of luck
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM

I stayed 5 nights/6days with my TAH. I did have complications, but day 3 would have been the earliest. I needed help getting up, meds, and the hospital bed and toliet helped as I am sure I could not have done without them at home those first days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register