Surgery scheduled lots of ??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery scheduled lots of ??? Surgery scheduled lots of ???

Unread 02-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Surgery scheduled lots of ???

Let me give a brief history. Im 30 with three living children I've had two miscarriages over the years. Had my tubes tied in 2008 after my last child. Ever since I've had horrid cramps, bleeding , and bloating. My sex drive is not what it used to be, im guessing cause my body says oh heck this hurts.The cramps come at any time of the month. Ive seen three doctors, my normal doc (also a obgyn), the doc who did my tubal, and the new doc who will be doing my surgery.

I was sent back to the tubal doctor when i was having major cramping issues that landed me in the er. Intercourse was painful i wound up curled up on the floor in the fetal position on several occasions. He said i could have ablation, a reversal or hysterectomy. But couldn't give me a reason as to why i was having issues. All test came back clear. I left unsatisfied and learned to tolerate the pain as best i could.

Months passed it got worse saw my regular doc. we decided i would just have a prescription of vicodin to take as needed for the cramping. This worked out great. A month supply lasted me at most6 months. I hate taking medicine so i only took it when i was desperate. This lasted till the past year. Ive had more tests than i can remember and everything comes back fine. My pelvic exams were horrendous, ultrasounds were not pleasant. Even the doc feeling on my belly hurt enough i would hit him. All we could find was that my cervix and uterus were swollen and very sensitive. I nearly jumped off the table during exam. Finally last month he sent me to see the final doc (doing the hysterectomy).

He gave me my options birth control to help control my monthly, or hysterectomy. We did an ultrasound and exam nothing to see. Ive tried birth control before during the start of it all it didn't help. Ive done my research and lurked on here as a guest for the past few months. So here goes the questions.
1. will my sex drive possibly improve
2. does the belly band thing help
3. how were your emotions affected
4. if you have children how was caring for them during recovery
5. i love walking, will increasing how much i walk now help me to heal faster post op?

Thanks in advance. I know i said a brief history and trust me this is the brief version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Re: Surgery scheduled lots of ???

Hi, my name is Shantel, and I am 25 years old. I have 2 living children, and one that passed away. I had a RALH ( DaVinci Hysterectomy) They took my cervix, and uterus, but I kept my ovaries. I am three weeks post op, So I will answer your questions as they applied to me....
1. will my sex drive possibly improve: Mine has already, My mom's did, in fact almost every female I know that has had a hysterectomy (personally) says it has improved theirs.
2. does the belly band thing help: Some feel better with it, they feel more secure. I on the other hand (even after two c-sections) did not allow anything like that. 1. because I didn't want anything touching my wounds. 2. Because I did not want to become dependent on it.
3. how were your emotions affected: I was nervous when they began to rush me in for surgery, since mine was planned for a month or so.... it wigged me out that they were rushing everything. I was more upset at the fact that they were not taking their time to get me in the OR, that was not a time to rush. I was mad when I woke up (but only because they over dosed me on the wrong medications, so I had to go 12 hours with no pain killers. I was not emotional by any means.
4. if you have children how was caring for them during recovery. I have two living kids as I said before. My son Teagan turns 2 next week, my daughter Liberty turns 1 in one month. My bowl prep was on a Monday, so my brother and sister in-law picked up my kids on Sunday night. I had my bowl prep on Monday (so I did my best to nap as much as I could). Tue morning was my hysterectomy, I was home by Wed morning. My husband went back to work on Thur, and Fri night my babies came home I had my husbands help till Mon, by Mon morning I was on my own, and I did fine with it. I was worried at first (given their age and lack of mobility) But it really was not bad at all.
5. i love walking, will increasing how much i walk now help me to heal faster post op? I was not really able to walk much at first my hysterectomy started at 10:20, and I couldn't walk till about 10:20 that night. It took everything I had to walk the first few times, then once I forced it I got better and better at it. I advice you to walk as much as you can, but be aware of what your body is telling you, and do not over do it. Once I got home I walked a few laps around my house a day, but that was it. One week after I went to our local flemarket and walked for four hours. I was tender but man did it feel good!

I hope this helps you you'll do great!
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:01 AM

Thanks so much Shantell! My little ones are a little older 9,5,4. Pretty self sufficient when they need to be. I'd be mad too if they did everything rushed to get me into the or. Hope you continue to have a good recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2012, 07:01 AM

Will answer as it applies to me at the end of 4 weeks post op
1.Sex drive increases for sure but you can't do anything till min 6 weeks post op. I think because you have had so much pain with sex that it has effected your sex drive mentally. Who wants to do something that causes pain right?
2.I never used a belly band so I don't know but what Shanner said made sense to me.
3. My emotions, I could not get into the OR fast enough. I had to wait 2 months for my surgery and I was counting down the days. Everyone reacts diferantly. I'm 40 have 3 great kids and divorced. I am done with my family and don't want any more kids. So for me the surgery is a blessing. No more pain, heavy bleeding and no more chance of getting preganant. But for some woman who are having it because there really is no choice it can be heart breaking.
4.Do not do anything for the kids. You didn't mention the kids ages but if they are very young you MUST get help!! Even if you feel better after 2 weeks you still need help. Your insides are still healing. My kids are 13 and 10 and their dad took them after school every day for the first 3 weeks. In the am I had them but they can fend for them selves so it was easier for me to just sit there and remind them to brush teeth and etc. He even took the dog (I have a big dog). Again you did not mention if your at home with hubby but if you are you must explain that you can't do anything. Men especially will see you walking around looking fine from the outside and figure shes all good (my x did). But the inside still needs to heal.
5. Again don't do anything to soon. I made that mistake I felt fine after a week and started to walk around my neighborhood. I did too much to soon. Pre surgery I would go to the gym 5 days a weeks doing Zumba and weight training. So I'm freaking out just sitting here doing nothing. But I keep telling myself if I go to soon I will risk setting myself back then it will take longer to heal.

After everything you have gone threw with your history I'm sure you are going to feel so much better after surgery. But don't overdo it. Find the help you need and be firm about others (hubby etc.) about you having to heal. Good luck..
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:20 AM

Chachi, I can only reply to your 3rd to 5th questions because the others don't apply as I have not been given the OK for sex yet, and I don't use a belly band. I can say though I get pretty *****. LOL

3. My emotions post-op have not been affected much because I have not been moody, nor emotional. I do still have one ovary so I am not on hormone replacement yet. The only time I cried was when I thought back to when I came out of the recovery room and saw all my family standing there with smiles. Family are the greatest thing in the world!

4. My son is 19 so HE cared for me. I did have my hubby's grandson (1) visit us and I was so tensed it gave me internal pains. He is at an age where he gets into danger and though there were plenty of others to watch him I could not relax. I also could not pick him up as I love to do. Your kid's ages are good, and your 9 yr old can help a lot so you should be fine.

5. Increasing your walk and any kind of exercise pre-op may indeed help you to recover faster. A huge part of our recovery is the fact that our bodies are so tired from all the energy being used on our healing. When our bodies have wounds such as the ones you'll have inside, all your inner energy is focused on that so we get very tired. When my Dr told me it'll take approx 8 weeks post-op for me to feel more like myself I laughed. I am 52 but very energetic and fit. He was right! I am 6 weeks post op and get tired just washing my hair. As for walking post-op, please do so as soon as you can at the hospital because not only does it make you stronger, but girl, it helps get rid of the gases which is the main source of pain once you wake up from surgery. They don't last over 2 days in most cases but you want then OUT!

Good luck to you, and don't hesitate to ask more questions. The sisters on here are fantastic and full of experiences!

God Bless,

Scorp
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:48 AM

Yvette0402, thanks for your input. My hubby is here and has already said hell take off as much time as he can. His job allows him to work from home on some things so its a little easier. I don't plan on doing any of my normal walks till after 8 weeks, but i am going to walk more before surgery in hopes of making the healing process easier.

Scorp1159 thank you! I do know the hard part will be not being able to pick up my babies although they aren't really babies anymore. Ive had days were my husband or my best friend had to help me wash my hair already from some of the pain ive been in. Ill take full advantage of them doing it after surgery lol. Ive already experienced the gas pains somewhat from my tubal so i know how much the walking a little as soon as possible helps.

My other question is did any of you have the lavh? What was the pain like down there?
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:07 AM

This site is wonderful in the way that everyone helps with good solid advice from their own experiences.

Unread 02-16-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi81 View Post
Yvette0402, thanks for your input. My hubby is here and has already said hell take off as much time as he can. His job allows him to work from home on some things so its a little easier. I don't plan on doing any of my normal walks till after 8 weeks, but i am going to walk more before surgery in hopes of making the healing process easier.

Scorp1159 thank you! I do know the hard part will be not being able to pick up my babies although they aren't really babies anymore. Ive had days were my husband or my best friend had to help me wash my hair already from some of the pain ive been in. Ill take full advantage of them doing it after surgery lol. Ive already experienced the gas pains somewhat from my tubal so i know how much the walking a little as soon as possible helps.

My other question is did any of you have the lavh? What was the pain like down there?

Chachi, I had the da vinci hysterectomy in which they deliver the Fibroid thru the vagina and than sew up the inner end of the vagina since I no longer have a need to have sperm make it's way up to a non-existing uterus. Therefore, the vagina is sewed up just as in a lavh. I also had a second surgery thru the vagina where they had to reopen the wound to get inside my pelvis. I have never felt any pain in the vagina but I am still spotting till this day (4 weeks) but getting less and less. So I think you won't have pain issues at all with the lavh.
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM

I had a super cervical lap something lol... They took my uterus out of my belly button. I still have my cervix and ovaries. Didn't have much pain. But I have a high tolerance for pain. I'd call it more a soreness. The gas pain is what killed me.. Ended up in er at 2 weeks hunched over in pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register