Cervix, Keep it or let it go? Any Advice? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix, Keep it or let it go? Any Advice? Cervix, Keep it or let it go? Any Advice?

Unread 02-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Cervix, Keep it or let it go? Any Advice?

I am schedule for my hysterectomy next friday and would really appreciate some advice about keep my cervix or giving it a farewell.

I have read different articles about keeping it and not keeping it and I am not sure which one to do. If anyone has had this same problem, I would really like to know about it.

Thanks,

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Re: Cervix, Keep it or let it go? Any Advice?

I also had the choice. I think it is a hard decision. Very personal. I got rid of mine as I did not want any chance of getting a period even if mini. My doc also said if down the line I needed it out, that surgery could be more invasive then taking everything all at once. The uterus and cervix are one organ so ultimately I decided why leave some in. I also had a friend that left hers and her endometriosis eventually grew into the remaining cervix causing her tons of pain years after her hysterectomy.

I was worried about sex also after getting rid of it. Posted a thread on here calling out to those that had it removed asking if sex was still good and 99.9 % said it was even better post op..

My doc also said that taking it out did not pose greater risks for prolapse as some believe. The cervix is the size of a large button he said and can not hold anything of signifigance up. All of those reasons I stated above were why I personally chose to get rid of it..

Tons will chime in as to why they kept or removed. Base your decision on your needs and wants.
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM

This is really a personal decision. I had my hyst last week and decided to keep mine. The factors that I considered:

-I have prolapse issues that were just repaired, and my docs said keeping the cervix and the ligaments attached to it helps stabilize the area to minimize future prolapse risk.
-I have never had an abnormal pap smear and dont mind continuing to get pap smears every few years in the future
-I believe that the cervix is involved in my personal sexual response (so was my uterus, but that was giving me too many other problems), so I wanted to keep it around.

Good luck with your decision, only you know what is right for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM

Did your doctor give you a choice? Mine did not but it was fine because I have had abnormal paps and didn't want to keep mine anyway. Post Op sex without a cervix has been fantastic for me.
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:55 PM

For all the reasons in Dr_grill's post, I wanted to keep mine. However I had complex atypical hyperplasia with a 25 to 45% chance of having undetected uterine (endometrial) cancer. My dr made the good point that if I kept my cervix, there would still be some endometrial tissue left, since it is part of the uterus, and if I were one of the 15% who have mini-periods, there would be no way to test for cancer as it would no longer be possible to do an endometrial biopsy with the uterus gone. I asked if cauterizing the tissue just covered up any possible cancer & she said yes. So I'm losing my cervix, too. Hope the information helps others to decide.
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:23 PM

I didn't want my cervix nor salvageable ovaries taken out, my surgeon told me that I may be a higher risk later, especially since I have so many other health issues going on. I had an abnormal pap, too. I too, didn't want mini periods, nor surgery again. I wanted to heal once and be done. So she took out everything.
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Cervix, Keep it or let it go? Any Advice?

I had a TVH done laparoscopically, so cervix removed. I am 6 years post-op and things are good. My doc did mention that things will likely "loosen up" a bit in time - good ol' mother nature. I have had no issues to speak of, and of, LOVE not having that monthly issue with heavy bleading. I have so much more energy and health has improved. In my case the amount of prolapse was severe, so it was determined that the best bet was to remove my cervix. I'm not sure I would have had it removed if it was not necessary. One thing though is that it took a few months of slow easy sexual relations due to the "support/skin/muscle" that is "sewn" (for lack of better term) at the base? of where the cervic was. This was a little tender for a while, but eventually - no problem! As suggested, it's always a good idea to get second opinions.
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:02 PM

It is very personal. I kept mine. I am not sure I can put the reasoning why into words properly - but it just came down to gut instinct. I am almost 4 weeks post op. so far - so good, but only time will tell. Best of luck in your decision. Be open an talk with your doc and go with what you are comfortable with!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register