LAVH: 2 week max recovery time? No pain meds? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH: 2 week max recovery time? No pain meds? LAVH: 2 week max recovery time? No pain meds?

Unread 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Re: LAVH: 2 week max recovery time? No pain meds?

New recliner sounds wonderful! Please call the doctors office and tell them you would like a prescription written out for you to take home in case you need the meds. This is YOUR recovery and only you can judge the amount of pain you are in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM

I'm surprised about no bowel prep - Did he say why you don't need that? I thought that was standard, as it allows the bowel to be very flat during surgery. Just curious.
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:37 PM

No offense, but I think your doc is smokin' crack! I had TLH 4-1/2 weeks ago. I was in the hospital overnight and absolutely needed it. Lots of complication risks from this surgery, pain being one of them. I was in such horrible pain that I was crying for my mama and the nurse had to call the doc for IV morphine orders. My husband spent the night with me and was absolutely terrified. He kept saying "What if you'd gone home? What would I have done?!" He was off 3 days. I couldn't get out of bed or off couch by myself for the first 2 days. I have no other health issues and am very physically fit. I was absolutely exhausted when I had my post-op appt at day 11 and told him that the 2 weeks he had planned was not enough. He was good about giving me more fortunately. I didn't start taking walks outside until day 16 and tired very easily.

Now, some women do not have this much difficulty. However, this is a major surgery. If you read any of the post op forums you will see how many sisters talk about how unpredictable recovery from a hyster is. I felt so set up by my doc. He said 2 weeks and when I wasn't doing super-duper, I felt like a loser. From reading other sisters' stories I realized that I was progressing just fine, it was his expectations that were off. Lots of sisters have said they felt good after 2 weeks but that weeks 3 and 4 were hard. Please just try not to put expectations on yourself. You will recover how you recover, not what some textbook says. If you don't feel up to going back to work and can afford to be off, advocate for yourself with your doc. Your long term health depends on how well you care for yourself after this surgery. Do too much, and you will create adhesions and scar tissue that can plague you later. I hate to put the scare in you as some women complain that is all that is on here, but those types of expectations from my doc created lots of stress for me. I don't want another woman to feel that way. Peace to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM

I was also shocked by no bowel prep. There was nothing written on my list of instructions about it, so I had this as one of my top questions.
I asked about it and was told only liquids the day before, and nothing after midnight.

I mentioned my concern about that, but the gyn. said he never has anyone do a bowel prep and has no problems.

The only change from doing TLH was I'd need to be shaved upon admission.

I thought maybe they'd keep me in the hospital until I have a bm, but he said no. As long as I can pee, hold down liquid and have managed pain I can go home.

DH cannot drink or eat anything in front of me before I am taken back to surgery because it will cause my stomach to create acid which could make me vomit after surgery.
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Your last line about your DH not eating in front of you made me laugh - I don't mean to offend, it's just that the day before my surgery my parents rolled in around 1 pm and I made a lunch for them, then my parents prepared an amazing smelling dinner for themselves and my two brothers who would be rolling in at different times - So basically between 1-9 pm, I was watching my family eat....while I was running to the bathroom because of the bowel prep. It was tough but what could I say....They weren't doing it deliberately but they did have to eat lol! I had no problem with nausea after my surgery, so I don't how much acid watching them eat gave me....but I did make a big point to ask the anaesthesiologist to really load me up on anti-nausea meds going in. Best of luck to you Kiki!
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:26 PM

I am for TAH tomorrow...I am also a preop RN and its 50/50 on the bowel prep. Some do it some don't. I was explicitly directed to NOT do a bowel prep. I was going to do one any way. My Dr told me that studies show that there r more leakage problems with people that do bowel preps if a colon resection needs to be done....I was shocked...I didn't know this. Anyway like I said at my hosp (not the same where I am having surgery) its about 50% of hysters getting orders to do a bowel prep...BTW I am scared crapless about tomorrow..the pain. I am hoping to be in a narcotic stupor...lol.
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:35 PM

I had a DvH with "recovery of 2 weeks, 3 tops" per my doc. So at 2 1/2 weeks with minor problems over and over, I went back to work. Well at three and a half weeks I was in hospital sick as a dog. Turns out I pushed too hard and ended up in hospital for a week. Then one month later got Hepatitis A and back in hospital for another week.
My recovery was sure not what the doc planned. Oh and allergic to pain meds but needed them for months-on muscle relaxants and still on pain meds for now chronic pain. I hope your recovery goes well but please don;t hesitate to push back if you are feeling bad or having pain. Personally your doc sounds like he is living in the "perfect world." Whatever you do,do NOT ever let him make you feel like you aren't recovering the way he expected. I wish I had known this after my surgery. I just hope that I can help others understand that THEY are the ones who will suffer, NOT THE DOCS. So keep it in your mind Sending lots of good wishes for a quick recovery.
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:46 PM

I think doctors are just quoting the literature they receive from the manufacturers of the equipment they use during surgery. It's true that recovery is way easier - on the outside - when you don't have an abdominal incision! I was up and down and walking around the day after surgery. But, at my two week appt (where I was NOT fully recovered by a long shot), my dr told me it was still major surgery even if it was done using a minimally invasive method. My surgery was pretty straightforward and short (less than 1 hour). I needed pain meds. In fact, I would suggest not leaving the hospital without a
prescription. If you find you don't need it, that would be great.

Best wishes to you for a smooth experience!

And mp1025, I'm sending you wishes for a narcotic stupor! I don't know what they gave me pre-op, but I went from crying to finding everything hysterically funny in about half an hour. Good stuff. Pre-op nurses rock!
Unread 02-17-2012, 04:36 AM

I just had my surgery on the 10th of Feb. The dr said the clear liquid diet the day before was "bowel prep."

I was out of the hospital within 2 hours of surgery after a successful pee. Dr said my tumor was somewhere between 10 and 20 pounds and had invaded other organs and I would know more after the lab report came back. My surgery was 4 1/2 hours, so it sounds like if yours is only an hour, things might be much smaller and less involved (thankfully!)

The discharge nurse told my family I would be feeling "normal" within 4 days and not need pain meds. Boy was she wrong. I had severe gas pains in my neck and shoulders the first two days, couldn't lie down (the dr gave my husband a script for vicodin and the pain pills just made me sleepy/didn't touch the pain). It was so painful to get up, I was so glad to have my husband home to assist me and I have a high tolerance of pain. I began to worry more that I was not recovering well at 4 days and started to feel like I failed.

I pray that you feel exactly like what your dr is telling you. I just want you to know that it is "ok" for you not to be feeling "normal" right away, and ok to ask your hubby to hang out a day or two at first. It is major surgery and you need to make sure you heal well and are pampered for a bit at first. I wish you the best and hope you have a healthy recovery.
Unread 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM

I have my surgery today,and I'm home!!

I went into surgery at 7. I was out of recovery and into my room by 10.

I have NO pain medication at all in the hospital. NONE!! I had a regular IV, plus they put antibiotic in the IV during surgery. Not even tylenol.

I am sore, but not in pain at all. It feels like the soreness you get for over exercising.

I was able to eat oatmeal for lunch and kept it down. I drank a ton of water.

The only problem I had was a horrible sore throat from the breathing tube.

I have 2 small incisions in my lower stomach that were sealed with that surgical glue, so no stitches. There was also a cut in my navel, but it's only a little sore.

I can't bend, lift, stretch, vacuum, etc. for 2 weeks. I have to go for a recheck in 1 week.

Peeing the first time stung because of the catheter, but after the second time it was back to normal.

Just thought I'd check in to say what happened with my LAHV. I can't believe I went in today and came home this afternoon feeling this good!! I had no bowel prep, either.

I'm off to rest, rest and more rest, plus drink lots of water.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register