Scheduled TVH Pre-op with Dr done | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op with Dr done Pre-op with Dr done

Unread 02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Pre-op with Dr done

One more thing to check off my list. I had my pre-op appointment with my doctor this morning. No real surprises there. I will be scheduled first thing in the morning because I'm diabetic. (The only time I'm happy to have that disease) I asked if there were any chance I could go home the same day and she said yes but I would need to be very motivated - I am! She just had a patient who left around 6pm on the first day - she was a nurse who really did not want to spend the night. She said I will need to be able to manage pain with oral meds, eat and drink and pee. I really hate hospitals and the idea of spending the night is one thing I'm dreading the most.

I have to go to the hospital for pre-op testing on March 1 - stupid diabetes, if I didn't have it, I could just do a phone interview.

But I'm checking things off my list - really ready to have this thing done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Re: Pre-op with Dr done

Hi there!

Very sorry you're having to face this surgery and that you have diabetes. As you can see, there are extra precautions there that you may decide to stay in the hospital after all for, so that your vitals and labs can be monitored closely. I don't blame you for not wanting to go home as soon as possible, though; I don't like hospitals either!

You might want to be sure when you get home (especially if it's the same day) that no one bothers you -- personally, I did not want anyone around me, didn't feel like socializing, visiting; I just felt like sleeping. That's pretty much what I did on and off every 10-15 minutes, it seems, for the first couple of days.

March 8th will be here before you know it, and it sounds like you have your thoughts and plans well organized.

Wishing you the best!
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Re: Pre-op with Dr done

Keep an open mind when it comes to going home that first night. This is MAJOR SURGERY and will have a significant impact on your body. If you need to stay the night, please do. You will be very, very fatigued. More than you have ever been, I would guess. And, I do not know how the diabetes will play a role in your recovery. I am guessing it might take longer, but do not know for sure. I hope some sisters on this site who also have diabetes will chime in and let you know how it affected their recovery.

I had a TAH BSO, and stayed in the hospital for 3 1/2 days (standard is 3 to 5 with that surgery). I was not in any shape to go home before that.

Good luck to you.

(((Hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register