TAH scheduled for March 16 - any advice or tips? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH scheduled for March 16 - any advice or tips? TAH scheduled for March 16 - any advice or tips?

Unread 02-17-2012, 09:50 PM
TAH scheduled for March 16 - any advice or tips?

Just came back from MRI results a few hours ago...10 or more uterine fibroids and uterus is too large now for laproscopy, so I'll be getting an abdominal hysterectomy with uterus, cervix and possibly my right ovary removed due to a non-cancerous lesion/growth on it.

Should I keep the left ovary to ensure I at least have somewhat of a more 'naturally occurring' menopause and not have to worry about hormone therapy? (At least not for quite awhile)

Would love to hear advice from anyone who had one or both ovaries removed through a TAH procedure and how you are doing, any tips etc. - have to admit though, I'm a bit excited at the idea of no more pap smears and not having to worry about future fibroid growths in my uterus. I have frequent abnormal pap outcomes as well, so my cervix coming out is fine with me.

By the way, this is my FIRST surgery ever in my life! First time being hospitalized for anything, first time I'll be under anesthesia...feel pretty optimistic now, but expecting to have much higher anxiety the day before and of my surgery.

Good books to read anyone can suggest? Has anyone bought and used Maderna or other scar fading cremes for post-surgery scar fading? I was planning to use lots of vitamin E and aloe gel on my scar once it has healed up completely to make it as smooth and minor as possible. Any other ideas?

Almost forgot to mention...I also have one of the DVT genes, Factor V Lieden that will force me to be on blood thinners the day of and a week or two after the surgery...anyone with DVT issues would love to hear how they felt post-surgery

Thanks for taking the time to read my 'ramblings'...so glad I found this lovely site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Re: TAH scheduled for March 16 - any advice or tips?

to HysterSisters! I am so sorry you have to have a hysterectomy, but glad you found this site.

I had a TAH BSO (total abdominal hysterectomy with both ovaries removed) 9 months ago today. My surgery was for a large ovarian cyst (12 x 9 x 11 cm) and multiple uterine fibroids. My recovery has taken a while. I was out of work for 3 weeks, and could only go back part time for 4 weeks, before I could finally go back to full time (desk job.) What surprised me the most was the level of fatigue after surgery. Just taking a shower or going for a brief walk would exhaust me in those first few weeks. I still don't have the stamina I did pre-op but it is much, much better.

Plan on taking at least 3 to 6 weeks (or more) off from work. You can always go back sooner if you are better. You will need help at home with basics like cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc. for at least 3 weeks. Do not clean the house for at least 8 weeks. Allow yourself time to heal, and rest, rest, rest. Make sure you are the .

Read through the pre-op and post-op information on this site. Explore around some more as well. Ask questions. We are here to support you and help you through this.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:20 PM

welcome to hystersisters

I had a TAH nothing left inside, I had first ovary removed 16 years ago due to a septated cyst on the ovary. This time they removed the other ovary due to a large cyst on it. Because I had no ovaries left they removed everything, uterus and cervix. I was also full of adhesions.

My family dr recommended a vaginal swab every 5 years, the gyno that did the surgery said if I had even one abnormal pap prior to this then to have a vaginal swab. Check with your surgeon on their recommendation.

Remember when reading the post op stories that most of the good posts are in the recovery threads, most will start new threads to see if anyone else had problems.

I am 13 weeks now and still feel twines and pain mainly because if the extensive work done inside with all the adhesions , I am still haveing issues lifting, be prepared for hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings. Emotions may also go for a rollercoaster ride.

gets some sweats or pj bottoms that are bigger than you normally wear, bring a pillow with you for the ride home and keep it with you for coughing, sneezing and laughing.
if you have a kindle download with favourite books

write a list of questions to take with you to your dr appt so you dont forget

ovary decision is one you need to make between you and your dr

check the whole site out especially the bed time stories they are too true,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2012, 11:36 PM

Thanks so much for the kind words! Appreciate the warm welcome and look forward to more communication - sounds like the fatigue part may be more than I anticipated...thanks for the advice on that!
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:43 PM

My suggestion is this...give yourself time to heal. Have lots of pillows and layers of clothing for the body temp changes you will deal with. Have lots of help and be kind on you. Your emotions will be all over the place, try to stay positive. You only have one chance to heal and heal properly. I didn't use any lotions on my incision as I was afraid of any possible infection or adverse reaction and my scar is pink line (TAH on 7/13/11). You can barely see it now. Also, make sure you have plenty of clothing that will not cut into your waist.

This was my first major surgery too. I suffered with endo for over 20 years and decided enough was enough. I am so glad that I did it now. I have had no complications, but I was not going to take any chances on messing up my recovery. I didn't lift what I wasn't supposed to lift, I didn't do what I wasn't supposed to do. I took my meds as suggested and rested. I was home for 6 weeks and I needed it.

No one deserves to live in pain...if you have made the decision for surgery, do yourself a favor and follow it through so you heal properly too. Your body will thank you! Good luck and God bless! Keep us posted on your progress!
Unread 02-18-2012, 12:25 AM

Of all the stuff I read to take to the castle, the one thing I was happy I listened to was GAS X!!!!! I got the melting strip ones, the nurses didnt give me any of my "meds" dr had ordered for me I found out afterwards from my Dr when she says she had them on a daily order.. so didnt get my daily allergy and my stool softeners, and so why give me a gas med, trust me I GOT GAS SO bad, I took six strips, max dose was only four but I said what the heck, THANK GOD I had them or I would have been in horrible pain for days! I had the worst hospital stay.. so happy its over! been years and seems like last month lol.. my scar is still numb, Dr sure didnt know how to sew it back right!!!!
Unread 02-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Here also is a information on the pre-op page and the post-op page. While these deal with hysterectomies in general, not just a certain type of hysterectomy, these both have some great information.

The loose fitting clothing mentioned by the other sister is a must. I lived in sweats and old shorts for about 12 weeks before I could return to normal clothes. Also, my doc said to put NOTHING on my incision. Of the ladies I knew who did, their incision broke open. IMHO, I would leave it alone unless your doctor indicates otherwise.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-18-2012, 11:56 PM

I had a TAH, both ovaries removed. I would recommend a small pillow you carry with you everywhere including the hospital to clutch to your tummy when you need to sneeze or cough. It's a lifesaver! And you can use this same pillow to put between your tummy and the seatbelt when you start driving. I bought one at the Hyster Sister store. It's the perfect size for clutching/driving. also, I would get one of those grabber tools to pick stuff up off the floor that you drop. I also found a toilet riser helpful. You can get one at your local pharmacy. This was helpful to not have to bend down to far to use the toilet. I also got one of those reading pillows with the arms (Walmart, Target) etc. about $20. I use that to recline and sleep in my bed, so I don't have to sleep on my side with my hurting tummy. Also, disposable plate, bowls, cups, cutlery makes eating meals/clean up a breeze and no fights in the family about cleaning dishes. I also found a cane helpful, even though normally I'm in excellent shape and do martial arts. It was helpful as you will be a bit sore and bent over and all the relaxing can make your muscles a bit unbalanced. Also, to get out of bed without pain, what I did besides being more upright with my reading pillow was: 1. place both feet foot side down on the bed, roll to my side while letting both feet drop to the floor and base out with my hand to slow my descent. This was the most pain free way of getting out of bed. I decided to have both ovaries removed. They were working okay but definitely showing signs of menopause, but I'm about to turn 50 and have a family history of cancer in the plumbing area. My GP told me detecting ovarian cancer early is impossible. So I decided to remove them and am on bioidentical estrogen Vivelle dot .05. I've been doing great with it so far. No progesterone needed because no more uterus. I wish you the best of luck with everything. I'm happy I did it. My bladder is working better and my asid refulx has greatly subsided.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register